Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem setting up my Eircom wireless

• 20-06-2005 9:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok Im having problems setting up my wireless connection with eircom at the moment. It works fine when I use the network cable but for some reason the wireless is not working.

The problem is this I think. Its either not reading my network card but the network card is picking up the wirless because the light on the card is on. When i plug in the card all it says is "acquiring Network address" which it then fails to do and so I end up with it saying "little or no connection".

The instructions that i got with eircom state that when I plug in my wireless card a wireless network detection icon should appear in the system tray which I can click on and then choose eircom wireless connection set-up and enter the encryption code.This should then establish the connection. Problem is this icon never appears in the tray.

I have uses my wireless card lots of times before in college so I know that it works. im trying to set it up at the moment with no luck. Has anybody here set up an eircom wireless connection before or could someone please point me in the right direction because im stuck at the moment.

is the problem that its not acquiring a network address due to the fact that I have not entered the encryption code? Would be great if someone could right back to me ASAP

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ok sorry just realised this is in the wrong forum but I think I narrowed the problem down to me not being able to enter my encryption code I have no idea where to enter it.

Anybody no how to do it?

(mods feel free to move)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

in the eircom broadband configure part I turned privacy off which means I dont need to enter an encrypytion code and it works but I dont know what that encryption code does. is this a really bad idea to turn it off? COuld someone answer me quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Nocturnal

u think it could be something to do with dhcp not been set up so your modem or router isnt assigning a ip address to your computer?not sure really

Nocturnal wrote:
    u think it could be something to do with dhcp not been set up so your modem or router isnt assigning a ip address to your computer?not sure really

Nope DHCP is definitely enabled it was one of the first thing I checked. I think its due to the fact that my wireless card is old. Its only 802.11b and not 802.11g. I think I need to buy a new card and enable WPA-PSK encryption for it. The reason it wasnt aquiring a network address was because the router was WPA-PSK protected but I couldnt(or dont know how) enter the WPA passphrase for my wireless card so it wasnt connecting. If I turned privacy off it worked fine but I realise this is a seriously bad idea.

I guess ill buy a new card and try and get it to work. Im still not sure how I go about entering the WPA passphrase so ill prob be back to you guys in about a wekk for some more help :-)

In the meantime if anybody can think of way to get my older card to work that would be great because I have absolutley no idea. Im pretty much a newbie when it comes to setting up a wireless network.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

ok i dont really know much about these things but set up wireless at home myself a while ago. try and connect direct to the router through your browser and change the WEP or whatever access codes you need to through that...

hope this advice isnt idiotic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Kingp35 wrote:
    Nope DHCP is definitely enabled it was one of the first thing I checked. I think its due to the fact that my wireless card is old. Its only 802.11b and not 802.11g. I think I need to buy a new card and enable WPA-PSK encryption for it. The reason it wasnt aquiring a network address was because the router was WPA-PSK protected but I couldnt(or dont know how) enter the WPA passphrase for my wireless card so it wasnt connecting. If I turned privacy off it worked fine but I realise this is a seriously bad idea.

I guess ill buy a new card and try and get it to work. Im still not sure how I go about entering the WPA passphrase so ill prob be back to you guys in about a wekk for some more help :-)

In the meantime if anybody can think of way to get my older card to work that would be great because I have absolutley no idea. Im pretty much a newbie when it comes to setting up a wireless network.

Thanks

If your present card is 802.11 b it will be wep only and your router seems to have wpa enabled. wpa and wep are not compatible. wpa is stronger than wep apparently. wpa psk simply means preshared key so when you set up the network on the router you setup a password also and then enter that from each computer that wants to access the network its pretty easy.

In the mean time you could check to see if your router has a facility to limit access through the mac address. Each wireless card has a unique number (its mac address) and you can set the router to only allow access from specific mac addresses. Bit more here.

besty wrote:
    ok i dont really know much about these things but set up wireless at home myself a while ago. try and connect direct to the router through your browser and change the WEP or whatever access codes you need to through that...

Yea I know about that all right but problem isnt changing the key its enabling my network to use the key. If I turn privacy off it works thats how I know that its the key thats the problem.
    dub45 wrote:
    In the mean time you could check to see if your router has a facility to limit access through the mac address. Each wireless card has a unique number (its mac address) and you can set the router to only allow access from specific mac addresses. Bit more here.

This seems interesting. I didnt know about mac addresses. I have ordered a new wireless card but I might look into this mac address thing until I get my card. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

New Eircom routers come with 128bit WEP enabled by default.

Disabling the WEP means that if your neighbours have wireless cards on their laptops/PC's they can connect to your Broadband more easily than with the WEP enabled.

The place to enter the WEP/Security key should be somewhere in the properties of your network conenction, or sometimes manufacturers of wireless cards have a different piece of managment software that comes with their card, in that case its in that software.

The CD that comes with the device has an installer that asks for the serial number. This works well with my 3com b wireless card.

Advertisement