Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for maynooth

Options
  • 20-06-2005 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

I'm almost definetly going to maynooth next year, and I'm just wondering about some stuff.
    Where are th best places to stay? Where are the best places to go out?
    Where shouldn't you go / do? and any general advice people have about NUIM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

stay: on campus(obviously close to everything), beaufield/college green/cluain aobhainn(full of students) other estates are also grand.
    avoid old greenfield.
    freshers week will prob kick off with the LA being packed, after that it'll be the Roost and wasted nights in the Glen.

advice, don't do engineering or comp science - no women...... :(:(:(
    do get to know the biology and arts women :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

hehe. a mate of mine is starting engineering
    Im starting general science.
    Sounds good. Does the on campus accomodation have good facilities/net access?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ya there's net access in every room of the campus accomodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Don't come here!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Only joking.....

Ah to be an innocent little fresher again.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

ixus wrote:
    beaufield/college green/cluain aobhainn(full of students)

They're miles away though....believe me it isn't much fun walking home from The Roost to Cluain Aobhainn on any night, let alone in winter.

If you're not staying on campus, try Parklands/Silken Vale/Castlebridge. They're very near. Or try for the streets around the village like Main Street, Parson Street, Doctor's Lane etc....though they're impossible to get as everyone wants to live there.

If you're a fresher you'll more than likely get Campus anyway if you apply for it. Enjoy your time here, it will fly! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Or try for the streets around the village like Main Street, Parson Street, Doctor's Lane etc

those houses are mostly ****holes though.

quarryman wrote:
    those houses are mostly ****holes though.

Sure first years don't care what their houses are like......some of the houses on Parson Street are really nice, depends if you get lucky or not. They're all very different. I lived in Doctor's Lane for a year and that was a nice house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I lived just off the main st in first year, it was a ****hole. But then I lived in Kingsbry in second year, that was a bigger ****hole as the landlord milked it for all the money he could get (ie changed the sitting room into a twin bedroom), so watch out for cowboys like that! I moved to carton court last year, I know it's miles out, but the house is fantastic. So much so that I've stayed in it for this summer and next year. Stayed on campus for a while in second year, but it's really not all it's cracked up to be.

Yeah Carton Court is gorgeous....shame it's so far away alright. Thought most of the houses in Kingsbry were supposed to be gorgeous?

Maynooth wrote:
    Yeah Carton Court is gorgeous....shame it's so far away alright. Thought most of the houses in Kingsbry were supposed to be gorgeous?

There are a minority of nice houses in Kingsbry, and none of them are rented out. Plus the entire estate is crawling with students. And it has one of the highest burglarly rates.... Not good

• Advertisement

nothing wrote:
    There are a minority of nice houses in Kingsbry, and none of them are rented out. Plus the entire estate is crawling with students. And it has one of the highest burglarly rates.... Not good

I heard that! Must be glad you're out of there so!

Very much so, but mostly because I had lived with a pack of slobs. Hoping not to repeat the experiance ever again

Nothing worse than living with messy people. I did it for long enough. Living with really tidy people now and it makes such a difference. You never know what it's going to be like until you move in though.

That's very true. I was away for two weeks, and in that time my new housemates moved in. was dreading going back to the house. But it wasn't in a terrible state so it's all good. Laid down the rules already, so it should be ok.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Maynooth wrote:
    Sure first years don't care what their houses are like......some of the houses on Parson Street are really nice, depends if you get lucky or not. They're all very different. I lived in Doctor's Lane for a year and that was a nice house.

I moved house a few weeks ago on Parson Street. The last house was a kip but the one we're in now is nice so they all differ.

Moving to Castledawson this week. Gorgeous house.

Advertisement