Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling over Lino

Options
  • 20-06-2005 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I bought porcelain tiles to replace aged carpet and lino in our hallway, kitchen.

Problem is the lino looks as though its cork backed and glued to the cement screed. It's going to be tricky lifting this, and I can't see the floor being in good condition afterwards, it may need a new screed, self leveling compound, something.

Someone advised, plyboard over the lino. What do you guys think.

The issue will be trying to keep the floors level between kitchen (with lino) and hall which is in good condition, I'd rather not step the levels and have the tiles continued through.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds a little mad :D I don't think you can tile direct to the lino as there would be too much movement in it and adding plywood means raising the floor, planing the ends of doors etc.

You can get mechanical scapers to remove lino from plant hire companies (I'm not sure how close to the edges you can do this).

You would of course probably need a latex screed whatever you do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I took up 3 layers of lino and some kind of tar off my bro's kitchen floor not so long ago b4 we tiled it. Pain in the arse but had to be done.

As Victor said tileing over it would probably be a very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rew wrote:
    I took up 3 layers of lino and some kind of tar off my bro's kitchen floor not so long ago b4 we tiled it.
    Old house? If so, that was the asphalt damp proof course

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Victor wrote:
    Old house? If so, that was the asphalt damp proof course

Yeah thats what we reckoned. The kitchen was extended at some stage. They just matched the level of the old kitchen tiles with concrete and then worked away. Slate tiles there now :)

The black stuff/asphalt was coming away with the lino in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I would expect the lino will come up easier than it looks, most adhesives used were more for spot bonding even if the whole floor was covered with it.

Cork does not usually get as strong a bond and even when it does a good sharp spade or plasterers trowel should clean the surface fairly easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement