Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

enhancing a vhs mpeg

• 20-06-2005 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭

i have a vhs rip mpeg file, of a metallica gig
    heres what it looks like

19910928dvd17zq.th.jpg

i basically want to make it look clearer and slightly more like a dvd... can anyone help and reccomend tools?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

Virtualdub-mpeg2 + 3rd party filters might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You wont be able to increase the quality massively, the bit rate isn't available. In work they uses Grading suites to try improve VHS on the occasional time it's used. It always looks rubbish.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭kazaam

well.. if i were to re-encode it to a higher bitrate, could i increase the quality to get rid of those lines and maybe make the colour better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If you re-encode the mpeg file you will make it worse no matter what bit rate the output is.
    You can try to re-encode from VHS again at a higher bitrate but from the pic above it just looks like typical VHS quality. There is little that can be done to make it look better.
    You can add filters etc with editing programs that may make it look nicer but there is a trade-off. You can make it look smoother but you will sacrifice sharpness.
    Best thing to do is to get an editing/effects program and play about with it.

I am not sure what lines you are talking about. If you mean the black borders around the image they are there because the capture takes the complete frame, on a normal TV the edges would be outside the visible area of the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

kazaam wrote:
    well.. if i were to re-encode it to a higher bitrate, could i increase the quality to get rid of those lines and maybe make the colour better?

it doesn't matter how often you re-encode it's nigh on impossible to go back up a generation.

Once over a year ago for a tv documentary, we were left with no choice but to use VHS material the only thing that made it acceptable was it was VHS archive of very old film, and we used heavy artistic filters to mask the quality.

You can try and disguise the source you cannot improve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

using a good vhs player to begin with is always a good start.

better still, having a range of video players to try can help improve your chances.

Advertisement