Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wont Run - Please Help

Options
  • 20-06-2005 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Evening all

I would be very appreciative if one of you kind people could help me out here. A couple of hours ago I was lucky enough to get a Gericom laptop and for the past 3 weeks ive been dying to get BF2 working on it when i got it - unfortunately, I cant get it to work. It just crashes to desktop (without an error) when I try to load a level (singleplayer). Im 99% sure the laptop should be able to handle it - i have it on the lowest settings. Its not connected to the net unfortunately as of yet but shouldnt it run the game without me having to update the drivers?

I would really appreciate your help - thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

make sure your card is 128meg card (minimum sytem requirement), install directx 9.0c and the latest drivers for your card, make sure you haven't any refresh rate overrides on ie. reforce

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

cianr wrote:
    Evening all

I would be very appreciative if one of you kind people could help me out here. A couple of hours ago I was lucky enough to get a Gericom laptop and for the past 3 weeks ive been dying to get BF2 working on it when i got it - unfortunately, I cant get it to work. It just crashes to desktop (without an error) when I try to load a level (singleplayer). Im 99% sure the laptop should be able to handle it - i have it on the lowest settings. Its not connected to the net unfortunately as of yet but shouldnt it run the game without me having to update the drivers?

What graphics card have you got? I had similar problems and used the Hacked ATI Ogmea drivers to get around it. BTW I have a 64 meg Radeon 9000 and it works fine on the lowest settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

make sure your card is 128meg card

Yep it is - it's a nVidia Geforce 6600 128mb
    install directx 9.0c

Downloaded the installer for this - when i run it takes 2 secs and says its complete, so I assume that I have 9.0c already . . . Just did the "dxdiag" tests and they seem fine but in that program i cant see where it would say my directx version(9.0c) - where is this?
    make sure you haven't any refresh rate overrides on

What are these? I just got the computer today so unless these came with the computer as standard, i didnt set them up.
    I had similar problems and used the Hacked ATI Ogmea drivers

Well i have a nVidia Geforce 6600 - when i try to install the drivers that came with the demo or install the latest drivers from the nvidia website a box pops up to say that it cannot detect any hardware that is compatible with them. A quick google brings up quite a few people with this problem and Ive tried a few work-arounds but with no luck so far. Although tomorrow is another day . . .

What do computers never do what they're supposed to do when Im using them? :cool:

Thanks for your help guys! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Bugger, thats the card i've got reserved for me :eek: Hope get it sorted, make sure post it up here if do :-)

hehe Berns - im sure its only a small configuration problem - although so far the answer has alluded me. Ill let you know if i get it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

It doesn't run for me either.

I have tried every fix mentioned on every forum
    i could find on the net and no luck.

I have a 9700 pro.

But I am sure the full game will work fine.

Hey Shiny is a 9700 a Geforce? (i know nothing about gfx cards). And you think if the demo doesnt work the full game will? . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

9700 is in the ATi radeon range. So, most definitly not a GeForce :D

When you run "dxdiag" the very first window that opens up, on the "system" tab displays your DirectX version right down the bottom. It should give things like...

Current Date/Time: .....
    Copmputer Name: .....
    DirectX Version : DirectX 9.0c (numbers and stuff :D)

Patch up your video drivers anyway , hopefully that will solve it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

only 3 more days until the full version comes out im sure/i hope it wont be as buggy as the effing demo has being or you have a **** pc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

I have a Gericom laptop - the one from Aldi I assume you mean and I got the no hardware compatible error message when I tried to download the video card driver update but the demo ( I assume we are still talking about the demo) works fine???

Obvious of course and I'm sure you did this but try uninstalling and reinstalllng?

• Advertisement

Yeah ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling . . . damn you BF2!! ;)

The position im in is do i buy the full game? I assume if the demo wont work (eventhough it should!) then the full game wont . . . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

1. Laptop cards often require a customised version of the graphics driver.
    See if Gericom have the updated version. Had similar issues running on an ATI x300 laptop g.card before I got updated drivers from Dell.

2. Shiny, I've a ATI 9700 PRO, one of the early ones 2 1/2 yrs, that had my eyes bloodshot for months with the problems it had.

Now stable using the drivers that came out just before HL2, and have Battlefield2 working perfectly on Win2000SP4, 1GB RAM , AMD XP 2200, a7v8x.

So if it can work on my old card, should be capable of working on a newer varient, assuming MB is up to scratch.

3. Sounds like the demo will be very like the release version, (The 'gold' version is a few weeks old now), so you might be left waiting for patches to resolve issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I'm not sure what it is but it works on my roomates PC and he
    had a 9600pro and then upgraded to a 9700AIW.

I tried the 9600 in my PC and still no joy.

I think it is a combination of ATI drivers, memory and god knows
    what else that is preventing me from playing.

I'm still going to buy the game and I expect ATI to have a fix
    for the problem on their end very soon after the game comes
    out.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

dont worry about the game saying it cant find compatable hardware. Ive got a 6800GT on my pc and says no compatible hardware.

Just get the drivers manully.

On lowest settings it runs fine on my laptop too

Sempron 3000
    64mb fx5200
    512mb ram.

Thanks for your help guys - I got it working finally! :D Following the suggestion on another thread by DingChavez who pointed me in the direction of the improved drivers ( http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ ) and then removed and reinstalled the game and hey presto!

Thanks again for all your help, it was very much appreciated! :rolleyes:

Advertisement