Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child dies as parents play WoW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

And the child wouldn't have died had they been in another room in the house? Had they been out in their back yard doing gardening I don't think it would be on the internet like it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

umm
    iif they spent 5 hours gardening at another house while their baby slept all alone.... yeah, I think it would be on the internet like this.

yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

i'm asuming this is a joke?

I said had they been out in their back yard. I'm not trying to shrug off the situation here, a child died in a terrible accident, yes. How many times a week does that happen? My guess would be a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'm asuming this is a joke?
    i ****ing wish :(
    reminds of the ****wit who shut his infant son in a cupboard, so he could get some quality everquest time to himself.
    i've never seen the attraction of MMORPGs, and **** like this happening is really beginning to sicken me.
    kudos to the developers for making a game world as immersive as this. i just wish all gamers had the cop on to stay remotely connected to reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I said had they been out in their back yard. I'm not trying to shrug off the situation here, a child died in a terrible accident, yes. How many times a week does that happen? My guess would be a lot.
    I'd severely doubt it's that often that parents leave a 4 month old child on it's own for 5 hours while they go out and enjoy themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

messed up!

I'd severely doubt it's that often that parents leave a 4 month old child on it's own for 5 hours while they go out and enjoy themselves.

Sorry, i'm not explaining myself correctly here (its late and i just finished my leaving), what i'm trying to say is i'm sure a lot of children die every week due to an accident of some sort. Remember the child suffocated, its not like the parents let it starve or anything. The way i'm thinking is that it could have happened any time or any place, another example would be during the night, the parents are asleep and the baby suffocates. It's late, maybe after some sleep I can debate this some more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

its just the negligence that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Sorry, i'm not explaining myself correctly here (its late and i just finished my leaving), what i'm trying to say is i'm sure a lot of children die every week due to an accident of some sort. Remember the child suffocated, its not like the parents let it starve or anything. The way i'm thinking is that it could have happened any time or any place, another example would be during the night, the parents are asleep and the baby suffocates. It's late, maybe after some sleep I can debate this some more.
    Heh, I'm not looking for an argument, I was just saying that this isn't your average accidental death of a child, it was neglectful parenting and the fact that they were off playing a game for 5 hours that makes it stand out, I really don't think it can be compared to say, a case where the parents left the room for 2 minutes and the kid suffocated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

its just the negligence that matters

exactly. The child could have suffocated even if they were in the house, but you can be damn sure the chances increased dramatically when they left it alone for 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Pure laziness. The could have just left the baby with the mother in law upstairs. How long would that have taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

kid must'a been running low on mana

couldnt teleport?
    anyway thats one weird family
    'the game lasted longer than usual'
    so we did not think of our baby child?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a thing called sleep. Kids die of suffocation. Another thing called cot death.
    "It's unfortunate, because the tragedy could have been averted if the couple had just left their daughter with Yu's mother-in-law, who lived upstairs from them," said police.
    Whats the bet they asked the mother to take care of the baby? She's hardly going to admit neglect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thats ****ing crazy, lock them up for life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

more gaming related death...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59726
    Eurogamer wrote:
    A schoolboy has died after collapsing at the end of a 12-hour gaming session, according to Russian newspapers.

The boy, aged 12 and named only as Sergei, lived in the Yekaterinburg, western Russia. He was allowed to visit the local computer club by his parents as a reward for achieving good grades in school.

He regularly played for 10-12 hours at a time without a break, according to a club employee, who told Russian newspapers: "When this boy came last time, he felt quite good and played for [a long time], almost 12 hours.
    Advertisement

"Then suddenly he fell on the floor and convulsed. We called an ambulance immediately, doctors arrived fast and took him to a hospital."

The boy was diagnosed as having suffered an epileptic seizure after he displayed unusual behaviour and failed to recognise his parents. He was put on a ventilator and died a week later, with the cause of death listed as stroke.

“Brain haemorrhage took place due to sustained emotional stimulation of the brain. The boy had overworked," said Alexei Sulimov, a spokesperson for Yekaterinburg hospital.

“He was practically dying in that computer games club, but he still continued to play. This was the result of emotional stress because he was obsessed with the games.

"Apart from his obsession with computer games he was a healthy kid and there was no reason why he should not have had a long and healthy life," Sulimov said.

i thought it sounded a bit off, but I found two other links for it...
    http://english.pravda.ru/accidents/21/96/383/15672_games.html
    http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/06/21/deadboy.shtml

..however, there are some discrepancies...

Eurogamer /Mosnews "The boy, aged 12 and named only as Sergei, lived in the Yekaterinburg, western Russia."

Pravda.ru "A teenager died in the Russian city of Ekaterinburg after 12 hours of playing computer games."

Pravda.ru "When the boy returned home, he showed quite inadequate behavior, which made his mother call an ambulance."

Eurogamer / Mosnews "according to a club employee, who told Russian newspapers: "When this boy came last time, he felt quite good and played for [a long time], almost 12 hours.

"Then suddenly he fell on the floor and convulsed. We called an ambulance immediately, doctors arrived fast and took him to a hospital.""

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You can die from "sustained emotional stimulation".

0_o
    Never heard anything like it before

Advertisement