Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in the....??

Options
  • 21-06-2005 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Can anyone suggest a nice area in Dublin, city center-ish, to rent in, I'm looking at Ringsend or Clontarf...are these places comfortably near city centre? Nice neighbourhoods? Good amenities? Bus routes? etc., etc., etc.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Olbol wrote:
    Can anyone suggest a nice area in Dublin, city center-ish, to rent in, I'm looking at Ringsend or Clontarf...are these places comfortably near city centre? Nice neighbourhoods? Good amenities? Bus routes? etc., etc., etc.....

Depends, do you want to be able to walk home late at night? Because Clontarf - though nice - involves going through North Strand - not nice. Likewise Ringsend means going through Pearse St.

Try Ranelagh, Rathmines, Portebello, Baggot St areas on Southside. Phibsborough, maybe Drumcondra on the Northside, or the city center, Smithfield, Stoneybatter (parts)

All walking distance to town with good local facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I live in Ringsend and walk /stumble home regularly sans problems. (Lido for chips anyone?). Amenities: close to Sandymount strand, Irishtown park - great playing pitches, South Wall for a fantastic walk / run. Townsend St leisure center. Would invest in a bike to get into town or just walk in, as I tend to do - 20 - 30 mins on foot to the city center.

I have lived in Clontarf but never walked home but that was more to do with the distance. Amenties: The seafront in fairness, St. Annes Park, Dollymount. Great bus route: 130 (on the way in - QBC, on the way out - slow).

Have also lived in Ranelagh - again nice area the house I was in sucked tho and that tainted my view of it. It is very close to town, has the Luas, and Rathmines is minutes away if you want a nightlife.

I would tip the scales in favour of Clontarf generally, especially if you manage to get a nice place nearish the sea, but saying that I wouldn't swap the place I'm in now for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I would go for Clontarf, I would buy there if it wasn't for the huge prices. A fairly good array of rental property avilable in the area. Huge park and seafront close by decent transporty links but the Dart Station is a good is on the edge so it could be a 40 minute walk if you live on the wrong side. Lots of buses and I wouldn't walk to town or back as it is generally too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i've rented in clontarf, killester and raheny, all nice areas.

clontarf - the pricest, cause it's a bit posh. some parts not great for public transport, i was up near the yacht club, v nice views, but only one bus route, was a 30min walk to the dart. not v cool, nice views though.

killester - a bit less expensive than clontarf, still a v nice area, killester village, or strip, has loads of ammenities, pubs take aways shops etc... very good for bus's, if you're not too far from howth road and dart.

raheny - generaly least expensive of the 3, my favourite, raheny village, loads of shops pubs etc.. very good for bus's and dart (as long as you're close enough to the village)

i'd say go for raheny or killester, you'll be paying more for clontarf cause of the name, and the bus routes and dart generaly aren't as good as the other 2.

haven't lived in rings end, prob a bit more expenive than above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

ranelagh/rathmines. good areas. expensive though. 400pm to share a twin box room?? wtf!?

godfathers pizza/marios =chippy

good pubs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'll second the baggot street area...tis where i am now. Safe, quiet and with 15minutes walk of Grafton St and loads of buses (10, 7, 45) very well situated. Also any taxi's will cost the price of a pint from the city centre

Advertisement