Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NES Mario 3 question

Options
  • 21-06-2005 2:41am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just found the ariel cable for my NES and have been re-aquainting myself with the wonders of Super Mario Bros. 3, but there's one problem... I can't save my progress... Now I can't remember if you're not supposed to, you can only do it at certain times or if there's something wrong with the game..
    Anyone out there able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I think cartridge games had a battery and some form of volatile memory that allowed for games to be saved, and I'm guessing the battery is dead after all these years, but I'm not completely sure so I wouldn't recommend tearing open the plastic just yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I don't remember being able to save. I know it was possible in the Super All-Stars SNES version, but I don't think so on the original.

Although if you can't finish it in one hardcore session then you're just not good enough anyway to be honest :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

There is no save feature in super mario bros 3 for NES. sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Back in the days when games were games and real men didnt need to save. yarr!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I was seriously thinking about rekindling my old Nes. Have my eyes set on a Super NES with Super Swiv. Yee haa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep Mario Bros. 3 had to be beaten in one sitting. A real game for real gamers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You could finish it in 20 mins with the warp whistles :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

fair enough, will have to sit my ass down and get to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

TmB wrote:
    I know, I had never tried about 6 of the levels until a few years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

If you want to save your progress, you should but it for the GBA. It's really cool with updated graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

they couldnt "do" saving
    thats why they put in warp whistles ;)

When did battery backup start being used?

In the Super NES days, all saves were performed on the cart, by ways of a battery, powering the memory used to hold all the save information, not sure if they started using that before the SNES though, i can't recall any NES game that used a save game function.

They probably could have but, at the time, i'd say it was simply too expensive.

Anyway, Mario 3, cool game, played through the whole thing at one stage, must have been at the screen for 3 or 4 hours...ah the memories

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NES games could definitely do saves. Most RPGs on the NES had battery save. All cartridge based systems could use a battery save if they were big enough. Even the GB had battery save games.

Mario didn't have it for 2 reasons:
    1. Too expensive although this wouldn't have been a factor with the biggest selling game ever at the time.
    2. The most likely reason. Mario 3 came from a time when a stiff challenge in games was welcome and also essential. Memory was limited so a game that lastd 2 hours had it's lifetime extended by being quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

flogen wrote:
    fair enough, will have to sit my ass down and get to work!

"ooooohhhh wheres my save feature???" wahhh wahh wahhh. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

MoonHawk wrote:
    When did battery backup start being used?

First game with battery backup was Legend of Zelda.

From there, the rest is history.

First game with battery backup was Legend of Zelda.

From there, the rest is history.

Any information to back that up on the intraweb. i'm not doubting you I'm just interested.

stop doubting people retrogamer. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It really is amazing, I'm sitting here with a promo copy of Tekken 5, a copy of GTA:SA, Halo 2, Pro Evo 4, Crimson Skies and some DS games too, and what am I playing? Mario Bros 3.
    I honestly haven't been this entertained by a game in such a long time.. World 3 (the one on the water) is doing my nut in and I love it!

I still have my NES at home with the gold Legend of Zelda cartridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Any information to back that up on the intraweb. i'm not doubting you I'm just interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda#Innovations

• Advertisement

Thanks. You learn something new everyday.

I still have my NES at home with the gold Legend of Zelda cartridge.

ditto/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Mario 3 was the first game I ever owned. never finished it, even with the warp whistles. That last world was crazy. and scary. scary music.

Forget Mario Bros 3, how about Mario Bros 1 level 4 or 7. they went on for eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Final Fantasy had a save feature. In Mario Bros. 3 when you fight the first boss fly up ( if you have the raccoon tail) and there's a whitsle up there on the other side of the wall. I always had 2 whistles. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

TmB wrote:

How about 11 minutes
    Large file btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Illuvatar wrote:
    I always had 2 whistles. Just in case.
    There were three in total, right? One in the castle on world 1, another off to the far right of world 2... where was the third?

fjon wrote:
    How about 11 minutes
    Large file btw...

that isnt real. he used emulators and their pause functions to do it. he didnt do it on a nes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Goodshape wrote:
    There were three in total, right? One in the castle on world 1, another off to the far right of world 2... where was the third?

I don't know exactly where but there's a place in world 1 where you can go past the screen where you choose mushroom, star, ect. and go to a treasure chest and there's a whistle in it.
    I'd have to play it myself to remember what level of world 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Goodshape wrote:
    World 1 level 3. You duck down on a certain platform for a few seconds, and you drop down behind all the scenery.

Advertisement