Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best and Worst CGI ever in a movie?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Well.. I wouldn't have counted the Brothers Grimm as a 'big' movie, but I certainly thought it had better effects - it knew the limits of what it could achieve and did as much as it could with practical effects. Compare this with Narnia who seemed to struggle with even presenting a passable greenscreen effect, and yet still thought it had the ability to pull off convincing CGI reindeers.

Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Peteee wrote:
    The bond 'surfing' scene was atrocious.

No, bugger that, the Escape From LA surfing scenes was eye-cripplingly bad. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Gollum, see the Lion in Narnia? well from the trailers and so on looks class(same company as did LOTR)

Nah, you're mixing up Weta Workshop and Weta Digital. Workshop are all about physical effects(costumes, armour, weapons, minitures and props etc). Weta Digital are the CG guys.
    With Narnia, Weta Workshop did all weapons and armour and the like. The digital stuff was done by KNB EFX. Weta Digital were far too busy with Kong to be able to work on Narnia at the same time.

As for the worst effects: Yeah, Blade II had some pretty bad effects in there.

Best: Lord of the Rings, specifically Gollum. Although I'm thinking Kong might take snatch crown when I see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

The CGI in the latest Doctor Who series alternates between extremely impressive for small budget, and "Look mum I made a spacestation on my computer!"

All the space station shots in the Bad Wolf two parter were terrible. The Daleks were done really well, as were all the interior shots on Platform One that had the CGI backgrounds back in Episode 2.

The main problem is that they seem to move at very low framerates which makes them look unrealistic. That's the number one thing that screams "CHEAP CGI!!!" in a movie. You need to try and get the framerate to match up with the framerate of the filming itself for it to work best. Any higher will look off, too, it will look as if it's somehow trying to be "fresher" than real life.

But that's not a movie so :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Spawn had pretty sucky CGI. I remember seeing it when it came out and thinking the CGI was below-par. Decent enough movie regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Spawn had pretty sucky CGI. I remember seeing it when it came out and thinking the CGI was below-par. Decent enough movie regardless.
    For real. They seemed to spend all their CGI budget on Spawn's cloak. So when it came to doing a CGI devil, they could only afford a teenager in his bedroom with a copy of Deluxe Paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah. The wierd thing though is that is wasn't consistant with either bad or good effects. It had some fantastic effects shots, and then some absolutely dreadful ones.

Liked the movie though overall. Only the directors cut version though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

King Kong looks a bit cartoony in some of the trailer clips Ive seen so far. Maybe it'll look better on the big screen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

King Kong looks a bit cartoony in some of the trailer clips Ive seen so far. Maybe it'll look better on the big screen.

Believe me Kong is most definitely the best CG character to date. Looks brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Bacchus wrote:
    Worst: Has to be James Bond 20. In particular when he surfs on the bonnet of the car on a giant wave of water and ice. I laughed so hard when I saw that.

That was the funniest thing I ever saw in a movie, I'd buy the DVD just to see it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Worst: The bit in the second Matrix film where Keanu is fighting all the agent smiths, and he jumps up in the air and spins around. The crappiness of that scene alone ruined an already mediocre film. That and the flying scene.

The best has to be Gollum and some of the stuff in Batman begins.

Incidentally, has anyone seen the trailer for the new superman movie? Maybe it's just me, but the CGI in that looks poor enough to me. Particularly the way his cape moves when he's flying. I really hope it's good, though.

Advertisement