Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ollie driving away the investors ? (shels)

• 21-06-2005 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Fighting for one's club is not cue for a punch-up
    Emmet Malone

On Soccer: First, a confession. In the light of events at Tolka Park on Friday night, going to the game between Bray Wanderers and Cork City instead seems, in hindsight, to have been a misjudgment.

It was not, mind you, as grave an error as getting into a punch-up with somebody considerably younger, much fitter and more experienced in the boxing department. So, for the umpteenth time I find myself being strangely impressed by the passionate devotion Ollie Byrne has for Shelbourne Football Club and absolutely staggered that Irish football's most prominent club official could be guilty of such a colossally poor call.

I shouldn't be, at this stage, I know. Friday's altercation was just the latest instance of Byrne becoming embroiled in some show-stealing incident that was bound to overshadow anything that might occur out on the pitch. Sure enough, the defeat by Shamrock Rovers seems to have been a riveting encounter, but the headlines over the weekend have all centred on the pre-match fight, and most of the stories have featured Collins making it clear he was not the one to throw the first punch.

The league investigation, involving a committee of three (Paddy McCaul, Eamon Naughton and Eddie Murray) which met for the first time last night, should ensure that we hear more about this in the weeks ahead, although it would be a surprise if any serious sanctions are imposed.

Collins, of course, is hardly an entirely innocent party here. The irony of the current Rovers manager referring on radio to financial difficulties and internal unrest at Tolka Park doesn't need to be pointed out, as it is just a few weeks since his own club was in complete meltdown.

None of that, however, excuses the behaviour of Byrne, who only a month ago was calling for Rovers to be thrown out of the league because, he said, a number of the club's supporters had provoked a minor fracas with Linfield fans during the build-up to the Setanta Cup final.

It was pointed out to him then that the club's officials had no control over the actions of a small number of supporters before a game in which Rovers were not involved, but he asserted nevertheless that they had not done enough to restrain the offenders. To their credit, though, they weren't in there, leading by example, throwing the digs.

Byrne's achievements at Shelbourne over the years are beyond question. Off the field, it seems certain that he has prevented the club from going to the wall on a number of occasions. On the field, he has overseen the club's emergence as the country's top side with a bigger, better, more expensive squad than any of their rivals, one that enjoyed considerable success at home in recent years.

His methods, however, often make him a nightmare to deal with. Journalists who write about the club are routinely berated at length over the phone when unfavourable pieces are published. League, FAI and rival club officials receive similar treatment when Byrne feels that Shelbourne have not been treated in the desired way.

In public, meanwhile, he has been involved in a string of altercations with rivals from other clubs, match officials and, perhaps most unedifyingly, supporters. At least two that I have witnessed in recent seasons, at Richmond Park and at Tolka Park, have required the intervention of gardaí.

Twice last season he was fined by the league and warned about his behaviour following incidents at games against Shamrock Rovers and Drogheda United. Only a few weeks ago, when Shelbourne lost, he became embroiled in a public shouting match with a Bohemians fan.

What is particularly significant about Friday's incident is that it comes just a few weeks before the Dublin club kicks off this year's European campaign, a time when there will be more talk of demonstrating to potential investors what can be achieved by a club that turns over around €2 million a year but which would, almost at a stroke, quadruple that figure if it could qualify for the Champions League group stages.

To date, however, there has been a marked reluctance on the part of big investors to fund the desired progression. But then major brand and sponsorship managers might be excused for viewing an alliance with a club whose chief executive (and owner) routinely ends up trading insults with spectators at games and now settles his differences with a rival club's manager by resorting to a punch-up as something of a gamble.

Whatever the reasons, the club's lack of backing from the corporate sector is underlined on an annual basis when they compete in Europe. Year after year Shelbourne play foreign clubs that enjoy no greater standing in their leagues but who are nevertheless heavily funded by the manufacturers or distributors of major brand names in those countries.

Under Byrne, Shelbourne have established themselves in recent years as the dominant force in the domestic game: they have won four championships in the last six seasons and last year's games against Deportivo La Coruna confirmed the extent of their potential appeal. Still, the club does not have what might be described as a single major blue-chip sponsor, and the big investors courted in the wake of the European run all eventually shied away from making a commitment.

During the hard times Byrne has probably been Shelbourne's greatest asset. But if the club really is serious about graduating to "the next level" so regularly mentioned, incidents like Friday's suggest he could turn out to be their most costly liability.

© The Irish Times

Fighting with other managers, giving abuse back to your own supporters (and others) isnt great. I just wonder is it holding us back ? Like there were numerous companies intrested in supporting Shels after our European campaign last year but all that intrested has evaporated.

Shels really need a PR person at the club to handle the media. Ollie cant keep this craic up if we are to make it into the group stages of the UEFA Cup/Champions League.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Agreed.

He needs to cop himself on, big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

He's been good for the club, but this nonsense must stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It's hardly going to encourage fans of any teams to behave themselves if they see that he can offend on a continuous basis and get away with it. "Sanctions are unlikely to follow"; says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

more from the indo on the same theme. Too right IMO. I dunno about the region thing. Personally I would hold out for a 32 county club league
    Cancer of violence killing off Eircom League

AdSolution - Internet Werbeflächen Management System

THE Eircom League is slowly dying from self-inflicted wounds and unless drastic measures are quickly taken then the patient is going to slowly and painfully pass away.

This season has been another disaster for the league, culminating in events at the weekend when we had tunnel brawls and pitch battles.

One parent, having enjoyed the midweek FAI Carlsberg Cup replay between Malahide United and Sligo Rovers at Gannon Park, decided to bring his kids to their first Eircom League game and chose to visit Tolka Park last Friday night.

Over the weekend he e-mailed the Eircom League to explain why he will never again be bringing his kids to watch Ireland's professional league. He had watched in horror as abusive banners were unfurled, bad language filled the air, coins and bottles were thrown onto the pitch and, to top it off, there was a pitch invasion at the end which resulted in an exchange of missiles between rival fans.

But he, like almost everybody else in Tolka Park last Friday night, missed the incident which generated the biggest headlines over the weekend when, about an hour before kick-off, the chief executive of Shelbourne, Ollie Byrne and Shamrock Rovers manager, Roddy Collins met in the tunnel area.

It was an explosive cocktail. Byrne is easier to wind up than a clockwork toy while Collins is a master at rubbing people up the wrong way.

Apparently, Byrne took exception to comments about his club which Collins had made in a pre-match radio interview and an exchange of blows followed which left the Rovers boss with a torn shirt and the Shels supremo with a sore head.

Then, on Saturday night, as the teams made their way off the pitch at Finn Park in Ballybofey the player manager of Waterford United, Alan Reynolds, lashed out at Finn Harps' 20-year-old striker Chris Breen as they shook hands and received a red card. At least Reynolds had the good sense to resign on Monday.

There is a cancer of violence, thuggery and bad behaviour currently eating into the Eircom League and unless ruthlessly stamped out it is going to drive away the few remaining followers. There are plenty of other things to enjoy on a summer's night than watching supporters of rival clubs bait each other for 90 minutes before engaging in battle at the full time whistle.

It doesn't set much of an example when chief-executives fight managers, or managers decide to lash out at opposing players. If you add in the verbal abuse that can be found on the pitch, in the dug-outs, on the terraces and even in the directors boxes then going to a football match nowadays can be a very unpleasant experience.

Nobody expects angels to inhabit professional sport but the time for tolerating despicable behaviour is long past and the clubs have got to realise that they are slowly killing the game by tolerating it.

The Eircom League exists on a financial tightrope and clubs depend for their income on gate receipts, commercial income, sponsorship and more recently prize-money. Every penny they earn is vital. Shelbourne, the most successful club at present having won four league titles out of the last six and reached the third qualifying round of the Champions League last season, cannot attract new investment that would enable them to move to the next level.

Could anyone blame Dermot Desmond, JP McManus or John Magnier for not wanting to invest the profits from their Manchester United shares into a club where the Chief Executive spoils his excellent work by allowing himself to be wound up into a frenzy by rivals.

As the top club in the Eircom League, Shelbourne set the standards in many areas but behaviour is not one of them as the punishments regularly handed out to Byrne, manager Pat Fenlon and assistant manager Eamonn Collins for various misdemeanours shows.

If the clubs want to become more professional, if they want the League to be run more professionally then they have got to start acting like professionals. Unprofessional behaviour should be no longer acceptable from anybody, irrespective of their position or their club.

At present the Eircom League and the FAI are on the verge of merging.

When that happens the time for pussy-footing should stop.

One radical solution would be to immediately disband the Eircom League and divide the country into 16 regions, four of which would be in Dublin.

Applications would be invited from people interested in running a professional football franchise in those areas and public hearings would be held in each region where the applicants would get an opportunity to present their case as well as receive a public grilling from members of the Club Licensing Committee.

Each successful applicant would enter into a strict contract that would be filled with all sorts of penalties for bringing the game into disrepute and the league would be run by professional administrators who would be fully empowered to make tough decisions.

For every step forward the Eircom League takes, it quickly moves two paces back by shooting itself in the foot. The time has come for radical surgery before the Eircom League ends up being as insignificant to the population as its counterpart is to the people of Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

One parent, having enjoyed the midweek FAI Carlsberg Cup replay between Malahide United and Sligo Rovers at Gannon Park, decided to bring his kids to their first Eircom League game and chose to visit Tolka Park last Friday night.

Over the weekend he e-mailed the Eircom League to explain why he will never again be bringing his kids to watch Ireland's professional league. He had watched in horror as abusive banners were unfurled, bad language filled the air, coins and bottles were thrown onto the pitch and, to top it off, there was a pitch invasion at the end which resulted in an exchange of missiles between rival fans.

Without wanting to deny the seriousness of the events last Friday night, I wonder if that parent will have a problem when his kids come looking for the latest Premiership merchandise?

Bowyer and Dyer beat the head off each other

Battles of Old Trafford

Van Nist meets Cole

Player convicted for affray

Diouf spitting

And there just the ones I can be bothered googling for. A little bit of perspective...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Cancer of violence killing off Eircom League

Thats all a bit much. Who wrote that tripe?

The Irish Independent. Is this the same paper that gives f*** all coverage to the League of Ireland.

The "journalist" in question is Gerry McDermott.

Prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    The man brought his kids to their first EL game and had a bad experience so you can't blame him for not being happy.

Showing other leagues faults is not an excuse. The EL has to get its own house in order.

I say again, for clarity or emphasis:
    Without wanting to deny the seriousness of the events last Friday night

My point remains, a little perspective would be nice. Did the Irish Independant write a damning article about the future of the Premier League? Of course not, its onwards and upwards for the big boys...

As for the gentleman in question, I'm sure it was an unsettling (and very possibly frightening) experience for him and his family, but to judge the EL on one incident is shortsighted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    The man brought his kids to their first EL game and had a bad experience so you can't blame him for not being happy.
    bad language filled the air
    When I go to games I get passionate, from time to time my mouth runs off in a tirade of abuse for opposing players, the ref, Shels players, opposition fans, manager, bloke beside me, Shels fans, pigeons, the grass, goal nets, dugouts, seats, broken seats, flags, flares, cans of dutch gold whatever.

If you don't want your kids to hear bad language, in fairness, they shouldn't be anywhere near a football ground.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    When I go to games I get passionate, from time to time my mouth runs off in a tirade of abuse for opposing players, the ref, Shels players, opposition fans, manager, bloke beside me, Shels fans, pigeons, the grass, goal nets, dugouts, seats, broken seats, flags, flares, cans of dutch gold whatever.

If you don't want your kids to hear bad language, in fairness, they shouldn't be anywhere near a football ground.

:D

Ditto.

TBH, you hear worse at juvenile sports from the parents...

Yeah that is disappointing. The article was over the top though.

Dublin jounalists should go to matches in Derry and Cork etc. more often. Maybe then they can talk see that the "cancer" isn't spreading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

I think the tone of the piece is well over the top but a cancer is something that starts small and then eats it's host from within. I feel in away McDermott though does have a point and the story of the bloke not going back to a game with his son is worrying.

Myself and a mate used to sit in the main stand at Tolka all the time. A few months after BD was formed my mate started bringing his 6 year old kid and we moved to the new stand, he thought the colour and noise would help his kid enjoy the match more. The move lasted 1 and a half matches, the language there was really OTT but clincher was when some fella (looked about 17) started HOLLERING abuse at the ref at half time. I don't mean shouting 'ah ref ya w@nker' or anything I mean he had to be physically restrained by his mates, he looked like he was going to have a heart attack. His face was red and the air was blue. Funny enough I remember thinking at the time that the ref was having a very good game by eL standards.

So we moved back to the main stand (or the Ballybough end when the sun's shining) and although my mate continues to bring his kid to some games there are certain matches he won't take him to. This is a loss of revenue for Shels (ticket and food that the kid always buys) just because some fool tried to look hard in front of his mates.

I know this sounds like a nothing story and they're not loosing much but think of the people that are trying a game for the first time with their kids and don't come back at all. My mate would have been in that situation but he was already a match goer so he didn't throw in the towel altogether.
    Shels haven't got enough support that they can afford that sort of thing.

We were on our way up to the game in a taxi on Friday and the driver told us what happened between Collins and Byrne had been on the radio. I just threw my eyes up to heaven because although it was unexpected I wasn't that surprised given Ollie's past behaviour. I think it's time for him to hang up his gloves and call it a day after the shame that he cause Shels last weekend. If a certain element of the fan base think fighting's okay then fights will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Oh great, yet another barstooler football fan, butting in where he isnt wanted, and talking absolute rubbish about something he knows nothing about.

If you were ever to a game mate you would realise that passions run high, tempers are lost, and regretable things are said. I know this sort of behavior is unacceptable in your living room and/or pub and/or your yearly trip across to the uk, but thats what football fans do.

If that idiot father who will never go to an eL game again, will he never go to a concert again? And I hope he never subjects his children to participating in team sports either, as the language at these can be disturbing to say the least.

Im not condoning what happened/s at some eL games in the past, far from it, but it happens. Not just at football. I beleieve there were outbreaks of violence at the St Patricks Day Parades in Limerick/Galway/Cork and Dublin in recent years. Will he not bring his kids to these either? What about the cinema, or WWF, ot television after certain hours?

seansouth wrote:

Seansouth, I respect a lot of what you write but do you not think this comment is bit off? Maybe if some could show a bit of self control then there wouldn't be a problem with people bring children to matches.

If a parent doesn't like what their kid hears at a game then maybe they're more likely to rent a DVD or take them to a movie instead, other forms of entertainment which are competing with football for leisure money in this country. Shels can't afford to loose this sort of money and if you don't bring a kid to games when he's young he's just going grow up becoming an English club supporter and there's more money lost to the eL.

I think Tolka's big enough that there should be some sort of family area set up - just cordon off an area of the main stand, it may help ease certain parents fears about bringing kids to games.

Look, I'm not part of that "Dutch Gold Brigade" that is in The New Stand in Tolka, I hate that lot, I am a normal football fan.

Can anyone here tell me that when they are at games, watching games on tv or whatever that they NEVER swear?

Do you go on like

"Oh golly gosh, what a ghastly decision Mr. Referee, I think you might need to have your eyesight checked".

Or

"FFS Ref, you blind f*cker, he was never effin offside."

Well, which is it?

Now, I agree that people need to show restraint, and I do try, but from time to time tensions boil over, and so be it. It's a tense passionate sport.

SteM wrote:

I think Tolka's big enough that there should be some sort of family area set up - just cordon off an area of the main stand, it may help ease certain parents fears about bringing kids to games.

Good comment, and that is something which Brian Lennox, the CCFC chairman, nipped in the bud a few years ago, creating a family enclosure. Since it opened, against Shels, in July 2002, it has been, in general, a resounding success. You can only get in with your kids, and bad language etc is strictly not allowed. Its run by a youth group - Ogra, and they have bought flags, drums etc and always create a very good athmosphere.

Im surprised more clubs havent followed Citys lead in this, as it would/should totally nullify any parents complaints.

Sorry, SteM, I forgot about your post about the family enclosure.

Very good idea, top notch. I wasn't aware that CCFC had done this, seemingly to great effect. I think ALL clubs should go down this line and create a family enclosure, where "people like me" :rolleyes: won't be allowed to make the air blue.

seansouth wrote:
    Look, I'm not part of that "Dutch Gold Brigade" that is in The New Stand in Tolka, I hate that lot, I am a normal football fan.

Can anyone here tell me that when they are at games, watching games on tv or whatever that they NEVER swear?

Do you go on like

"Oh golly gosh, what a ghastly decision Mr. Referee, I think you might need to have your eyesight checked".

Or

"FFS Ref, you blind f*cker, he was never effin offside."

Well, which is it?

Now, I agree that people need to show restraint, and I do try, but from time to time tensions boil over, and so be it. It's a tense passionate sport.

I never said it wasn't a passionate sport and I never said I didn't swear at games now and again but saying something like 'If you don't want your kids to hear bad language, in fairness, they shouldn't be anywhere near a football ground.' is asking for trouble for the league in years to come. Where does the next generation of football supporter come from?

Surely there's a better compromise than 'if you don't like it then don't come!'?

@gimmick, that sounds like a great idea you guys have going down there. Give the younger fans a place to sit with their folks, encourage them to get behind the team and create some colour and noise. It could be done at Tolka easily in the main stand. It would have the added effect of condensing the crowd in that stand who are usually too spread out to create any real atmosphere.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    "people like me" :rolleyes:

The world doesn't revolve around you mate ;) BTW, any comments I made in this thread are not aimed at anyone in particular or any 'type' of fan.

"Dutch Gold Brigade" :D

SteM, that post wasn't entirely directed at you, sorry if it came accross that way.

But my comment 'If you don't want your kids to hear bad language, in fairness, they shouldn't be anywhere near a football ground.' I stand over one hundred per cent.

I mean what was the father expecting, a ground full of people I described in my previous post? Come off it. If there was a family enclosure, like in Turner's Cross, then fair enough, but football games have forever been hotspots of bad language, and any parent who thinks otherwise is just being naive, in my opinion. To that end, I think it is a bit rich for someone who goes into a football game, least of all a local derby, and come out complaining because his precious heard some bad language.

My father brought me to games, and I heard bad language. I still go to games, as does my father.

SteM wrote:
    The world doesn't revolve around you mate ;)
    :eek:
    It doesn't? Ah, I'm getting off.

That particular comment was directed at this.
    ziggy67 wrote:
    Yeah, your wild

I would ask where the future supporters are to come from then?
    You and people like you may well be the reason the EL is so poor.
    Hope your proud.

Maybe he was expecting a family enclosure like in England, it doesn't seem like he's been to a game before. :confused:

On an aside, when the new stand was being built I was always under the impression that it was going to be a dedicated family area. Do you remeber hearing this at the time or is my memory playing tricks again?

I think that may have been until BD took it over, who knows?

Which I might add aswell, BD moved slightly in the New Stand on Friday night, and all Ollie/Collins, Pitch Invasions and generall skullduggery aside, I thought the atmosphere in Tolka for the Rovers match was the best we've had in ages.

foul language, abusive banners, abuse by fans/managers etc is one thing, two managers throwing full punches at each other is another. Ollie and Collins have to get fined for this and hopefully it wont happen again.

Mc Dermott is an idiot though, i cant belive he still wants Shels to meet a big club in the 1st or 2nd round.

seansouth wrote:
    Which I might add aswell, BD moved slightly in the New Stand on Friday night, and all Ollie/Collins, Pitch Invasions and generall skullduggery aside, I thought the atmosphere in Tolka for the Rovers match was the best we've had in ages.

Yeah I noticed that and there was a very good atmosphere, even more so considering the result. I was wondering why the seats on the left (as you look at it head on) were covered. There seemed to be an unusual amount of gardai on that side of the stand too, is that to stop the messing that's started there?

Ollie and Collins have to get fined for this and hopefully it wont happen again.
    I feel dirty typing this.

But I don't think Collins was culpable, Ollie went and attacked him. It is Ollie that should be punished.
    SteM wrote:
    There seemed to be an unusual amount of gardai on that side of the stand too, is that to stop the messing that's started there?
    Yep, that's right. Ollie told a few of the lads (after reading the Shels Website MB) that he was asking the Gardai for a better presence in that stand. He also barred (supposedly) a few of the "DGB" ringleaders. We were expecting only one Guard up there, turned out there were five.

• Advertisement

^ Not necessarily, but I see your point. Not everyone starts going to football with their father/mother/elder sibling etc. I know I started with a group of buddies in 1989. Unfortunately I am the only one left still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Shels players not been paid?

Whats up with that?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Shels players not been paid?

Whats up with that?

kdjac
    Cite?
    Link?
    BS?

seansouth wrote:
    Cite?
    Link?
    BS?

Your non scoring CF :D

Seems the players havent been paid twice this season and oh look your ****!!!!

1st time somfin to dow ith new invstoers bank accounts or some crap like that, tbh would explain their form.

kdjac

I made an observation reading todays papers, regarding the Uefa draws and seeding on Friday.

In the Irish Independent, McDermott made it out to be a bad thing that Shels avoided a "money spinning" tie with Liverpool in the 1st qualifying round.

Meanwhile the Mirror wrote a piece by Gary Doyle where he said that avoiding Liverpool was a good thing because they would be able to progress futher in the competition.

This shows the attitude of the sports depts with regard to the league. The independent give **** all coverage and its previews on a Friday would barely take up half a page of their tabloid format.

Meanwhile the Mirror devotes 8 pages every Friday to the weekend games in the excellent "Eicom League Special" section.

Normally I wouldnt go near the Mirror but I now buy it on Fridays for that section. The rest of the paper is rubbish but fair play on their coverage. The Independent is equally as sh1te and Tony O'Reilly can shag off.

KdjaC wrote:
    Seems the players havent been paid twice this season
    Seems?

Where has it been reported?

Am I reading the wrong papers (The Sindo)?

If you're going to come on here making wild accusations like this, please, back them up.

• Advertisement

players not being paid ??? cop on.. this is a load of sh1te

players not being paid ??? cop on.. this is a load of sh1te

I'm a Shels fan...

Now chaps, you can choose to believe me or not (and TBH it doesn't bother me if you do), but I work with a guy who has family connections with a Shels first teamer. He's also mates with another Shels regular (from back before his football days).

Anyway, according to my workmate (who's a Shels fan as well), the players cheques regularly bounce. To get paid, they have to head into Tolka Park and get paid in cash by Ollie himself.

I have no links to back this up, and I'm not going to name any players (never know who's reading), but thats what I've been hearing. If any mod thinks this needs to be taken down (for legal reasons) I'll accept without complaint, and apologies in advance.

I have no links to back this up, and I'm not going to name any players (never know who's reading), but thats what I've been hearing. If any mod thinks this needs to be taken down (for legal reasons) I'll accept without complaint, and apologies in advance.

I would also subscribe to this newsletter. No legal reasons just watch out for Ollie.

Sean this has been brewing for a while its what Collins said on the radio that made Ollie go mental. The person who informed me mentioned it happened twice this season once before his honeymoon and he was well pissed off.

Its a mastercard moment tbh :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

I made an observation reading todays papers, regarding the Uefa draws and seeding on Friday.

In the Irish Independent, McDermott made it out to be a bad thing that Shels avoided a "money spinning" tie with Liverpool in the 1st qualifying round.

Meanwhile the Mirror wrote a piece by Gary Doyle where he said that avoiding Liverpool was a good thing because they would be able to progress futher in the competition.

This shows the attitude of the sports depts with regard to the league. The independent give **** all coverage and its previews on a Friday would barely take up half a page of their tabloid format.

Meanwhile the Mirror devotes 8 pages every Friday to the weekend games in the excellent "Eicom League Special" section.

Normally I wouldnt go near the Mirror but I now buy it on Fridays for that section. The rest of the paper is rubbish but fair play on their coverage. The Independent is equally as sh1te and Tony O'Reilly can shag off.

This was highlighted on the Shels' MB before:

http://www.shelbournefcchat.100megs12.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=3002

The Indo really can be pr*cks.

I disagree with the tone of the piece in todays Independent. However a father and his children should be able to go to a match and not feel threatened.

Shels have been too lenient on pitch invasions etc. for too long. They need to cop on. They are the top club in Ireland so they should lead by example.

Would I be correct in saying that Shels do no spend a lot of money on security?

• Advertisement

Shels have been too lenient on pitch invasions etc. for too long. They need to cop on. They are the top club in Ireland so they should lead by example.
    Agree with you totally
    You could always ask Ollie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Not a lot anyway. One match night in Tolka would tell you all you need to know about their security set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Security was not how as good as it should have been. The police and the steward did not take any action against the Rovers fans who invaded the pitch for 5 minutes. However that should not take away from the fact that Rovers fans invaded the pitch and headed straight up to the Shelbourne fans in the Drumcondra End with only one intention to ignite trouble.

Rovers are the ones who should be shamed and not Shels.

Advertisement