Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Leavin Cert :-P

Options
  • 21-06-2005 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

It's just a load of bollix really :eek:

Who thinks schools should have contineous assesment ...like the rest of the world?? ...Discuss!!

How'd everyone get on anyway?? I did mine last year so I don't have to worry. hehehehe :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

I was only discussing this the other day! ! I definiteyly think at least some of our overall should come from continuous assesment! It would cut down on alot of problems, ie non attendance and also it would make people work harder! I work hard and all those tests I did this year and got gret results in won't matter a toss if I go into today and have a "bad Day". We're stuck in the stone age in this country!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭stevoxbx

It would be a load of bollix for me to have contineous assesment because im a lasy ****e and work only when absolutly nessicery. Continuous assesment would work well for mostly girls and swats. Girls study more throughout the year, this would give them an unfair advantage when it comes to continuous assesment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

continuous assessment would seriously own. to hell with all this concentrated stress and pressure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

*Cough,splutter* studying gives an unfair advantage???Erm ya good luck with that.

stevoxbx wrote:
    It would be a load of bollix for me to have contineous assesment because im a lasy ****e and work only when absolutly nessicery. Continuous assesment would work well for mostly girls and swats. Girls study more throughout the year, this would give them an unfair advantage when it comes to continuous assesment.

haha, since when was a study schedule an 'unfair advantage'? anybody can sit down and study, you know.

• Advertisement

The GP's office is ovr flowing at this time of year with 6th years who are suffering with tinitus, stress related infections, depression and in my case sorisis! Tell me how that is a good thing? The pressure we're put under throug h could be easily changed if the teachers realised by building the LC up to this huge life changing thing only scares us away from it!!

Just stating the fact that girls study more than lads throughout the year. Continuous assesment would work more to their advantage than lads. Are you a girl? Or a swat?

Most people doing their leaving cert study throughout the year! Only difference is lads dont admit it!! Hope you haven't fallen into the biggest trap of believing you mate who got over 400 never opened the book and you will to!!! Its the biggest secret of all!! Guys study!!!

I'm a girl and I only started studying the week before the leaving. but it's only the guys fault that they don't study all the time; there's nothing keeping them from hitting the books from time to time.
    besides, if continuous assessment were introduced then people would change their studying habits anyway.

Not true. I dont believe most lads do, well not to the extent of girls. This is the wrong forum for me to be arguing this on because the majority of people who use this are the type that study throughout the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I'd prefer not to have continous assessment, it wouldn't suit me.

"EXTRA EXTRA,news just in those who study have an advantage in exams shocker" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

continuous assesment is a lot more stressful on the student, you have to study constantly and you cant forget anything cause you have an end of year test for half the marks aswell. with the leaving you can be lazy and get on allright

I said people who study regularly would have more of an advantage when it comes to continuous assesment. For the leaving cert now at least for lazy people we can cop on in the last few weeks and study to make up for it. If it was continuous assesment we'd be ****ed

The exams would be easier though because you'd be tested on smaller amounts of the course.

True exams would be easier but in all honesty house exams are easier than the leaving cert but the majority of people get the same or higher grades in the leaving than in house exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ali!!

Wow! **** loada replies there :D

I think contineous assessment would be better because you'd only have to do three or four small exams for each subject throughout the year. I'd say more people would attend class then aswell... (I was one of them idiots that never came in untill the exams started, thinkin I'd do great even though I didn't study)

I think alot of teachers are too lazy to do contineous assessment aswell.. Just means they have to do more work :rolleyes:

True studying routines would have to change. But people would only have to study a reasonable amount all year to do well. As opposed tyo studying a reasonable amount for the results you're aiming for during the year and forgetting it all so cramming at the end of the year.

There is the risk of students burning themselves out before the leaving cert, as opposed to being burned out after. Saying that I was sick of studying the week coming up to the LC when I did mine all 3 or 4 years ago. Man I feel old right now.

But there would be problems with CA, just like there are problems with the end of exams set-up at the moment. You'll see this throughout college if or when you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭claireoby

i did my leavin last year, studyed my ass off throughout the year and still didnt get my first choice coz it jumped 65 points from 2003 to 2004...CAO=sucks. the leavin cert process can be disheartening...but when u go to college, in my course anyway there was loads of continuous assessment which can be annoyin!! prefer just end of year exams like the leavin is like...(i got lazy when i went to college!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

I think final exams like the leaving cert are important to maintain standards and that continuous assessment would mean standards would drop. I have friends in the states that do continuous assessment and they do next to nothing compared to what I have had to do these past two years for the leaving cert! But I do think it is bad having my 14 years of education come down to one or two exams a subject. I think it would be better if maybe we had two big exams and have them more spread out over the leaving cycle, like the way the languages have an oral in April. But they would probably have to go into more depth in each subject then as it is easier to study for half a course! But these are only random musings.

it's easier, imo, to be examined in depth on a few things than in less depth on everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

I couldn't agree more. But I stayed up until 4am the night before both physics and chemistry cramming, and with only 4 hours of sleep for each, I'm pretty sure I got an A in each (up from c2's at the mocks, which I crammed for as well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Ali!! wrote:
    It's just a load of bollix really :eek:

Who thinks schools should have contineous assesment ...like the rest of the world?? ...Discuss!!

I reckon the leaving cert is a better system. It's more fair like. Different schools are gonna mark differently. You could get some absolute jerk of a teacher who hates you and gives you F's all the time. This would be more stressful too, being judged continually throughout your school life. At least with the leaving it happens quickly, and then it's over.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I would hate continuous assessment. Also, if a teacher liked/disliked you they could adjust your grades accordingly - would you want to give them that sort of power? And yes, this does happen - a teacher in my school is responsible for converting students grades to the American system if they want to go to college there, and it's well known that he tweaks them. I'm just saying that it takes away the fairness and the anonymity of the exams. Also, it would completely change the student-tesacher relationship of you were depending on them for grades.
    My cousins in Sweden are subjected to continuous assessment, and they hate it - I posted about it before, if I ever find that post I'll link to it in this thread

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2778828&postcount=33

Yay for Advanced Search!! Took me all of two minutes to find it... My previous opinion on the matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Shinny-dee

i agree i would not be able to work all year though im not happy with what i did in my exams i know if id actually have studied for more than a week i would have done quite well!the CAO process is crap i think interviews/portfolios like for NCAD into courses like medicine is a good idea because some insensitive fcuks might get the points an be terrible doctors while some much nicer caring less intellectually gifted people won't but would make deadly doctors. it is really unjust and i dont think its the actual exams that put on the pressure its the fear of not getting the points, doing a course you hate, and ending up in a dead end job that you hate that load it on.

does anyone agree??we could actually be the people who fix this i know the govt is changing the LC but we are tomorrow and all that malark so one of you should go into politics and revamp the system!!(irrational me???) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 THE DUDE.......

i totally agree with continuos assessment.its not rite dat one bad day can **** up your plans for college.i was absolutely busted from studying(cramming) and by da time i got to accounting, my mind just totally blanked and i ****ed up.i wanted to get an A in it,but da whole "leaving cert pressure" ting just got to me at da last exam and now i can say goodby to da college course dat i wanted.

Apart from the fact that some teachers would take it out on some students, there is the HUGE possibility of cheating which would be hard to curtail.

Here's some insight into the points system.

http://www.ifut.ie/points.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

continual assesment would take pressure from 2wks and spread it out through
    the 2 years which sounds like a good idea in theory but it would the senoir cycle
    in Irish schools would become one set of lingering exams.

I would much prefer 2wks of pressure rather than constant exam pressure spread over a period of 2yrs.

as much as i hated some aspects of the leaving cert. i cannot think of a
    fairer way more transparent way to examine 20 to 30 thousand people each year. I know it has alot of flaws such as strong emphasis over regurgiation of facts over actual comprehension but it is the best system out of a bad lot.

Advertisement