Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Leavin Cert :-P

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Continuous assessment would keep people motivated to work all year round. A system like the one in Denmark would be perfect. They rely on exam averages so even if you have one terrible exam it's not completely a total loss. To get onto a course in college your exam average has to be above a certain level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Fishie u posted that ur cousin eoin isn't good at p.e so is prob an academic. P.E as a subject would be a dream for me. The focus on learning academically isn't always appealing. Everybody has different strengths to offer society and these are not examined in the current leaving cert.

Interviews are the way forward where a bit of personality can be shown.

Also i think assignments are also better than timed exams. This is where u can write an essay with a book open but its your analysis and opinion that make it.

There is something wrong with the exam system in the country - fact. Too many people end up having problems because of it.

Continous assessment is fairer. No dispute. It tests what u are not how u perform in a 2hour period. I don't care what anybody says but its true that people have off days and many people had them during the leaving.

I'd make a poll right now like leaving or Ca but i dunno how! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

scorpy wrote:
    it's easier, imo, to be examined in depth on a few things than in less depth on everything.

Something I'd like too, I suppose that's what college is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

P.E as a subject would be a dream for me.

I wouldn't mind that either.
    I'd make a poll right now like leaving or Ca but i dunno how!

It's an option when you make a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jdevlin

IMO the summer exams are better than CA. The leaving cert was stressful but it was all over so fast. Also, despite what some people say, if you put in enough work the exams,barring some bad luck, will go fine. What i found especially stressful were the assessments during the schoolyear. Doing the orals and my art practicals in April while trying to study for my LC was horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

jdevlin wrote:
    IMO the summer exams are better than CA. The leaving cert was stressful but it was all over so fast. Also, despite what some people say, if you put in enough work the exams,barring some bad luck, will go fine. What i found especially stressful were the assessments during the schoolyear. Doing the orals and my art practicals in April while trying to study for my LC was horrible.

Roll on CA imo.....I put lots of work intot he LC and am usually a really good student...why do I then have a sinking feeling that everything has goin horribly wrong....?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What ever system you have theres gonna be flaws, and it will suit some people more than others. The LC is fine, you know exactly what you have to learn and if you dont its your own fault. CA would just be exchanging one set of problems for a new set of problems

Advertisement