Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting up heating in a house?

Options
  • 21-06-2005 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi -
    What would the procedure, hassle and cost be involved in splitting the heating in a house? Let me explain - it's a 3 story house, with a flat on the bottom storey, and the top 2 floors 1 house. Currently, the 2 residences share the same gas heating system, but the owner wishes to split it up so they each have control over their own heating, and get seperate bills. Would new radiators be needed? Both systems don't *have* to be gas, it's just the way it is right now.
    Does anyone have any advice? I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

If its for two separate residences, I would suggest two boilers and two meters.

In a single dwelling, its possible to 'zone' heating via a manifold, but in this case it would not seem to be the answer.

Probably a good idea to get some advice from a plumbing/heating contractor.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If the radiators are modern and working they should be ok, fit a wall hung gas boiler in each apartment and pipe away from it as if the system is new.

A new hot water cylinder to each unit and pipe to the rads, basically by passing the existing system, if new rads make that easier then fit them.

No complications or buying any old problems that may be in the present system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

My mother owns a similar type property with three flats in it. We have been himing and hawing over weather it is worth putting in a central heating.
    THe two options as far as we could see.
    One boiler and and "service charge" for constant heating and hotwater. This is probably the cheapest installation but arkward to manage as one tennant would need to be in control.
    The other being a seperate boiler in each place. The problem here is the installation cost and location for each. No problem with management.
    There are piped gas fires in each room of size and electric heaters in the bathrooms. It is fine but not as warm as central heating and is expensive to run.

What is the genral price of small seperate boilers compared to one large? Roughly feeding 4 standard radiators each or 12 together. I guestimate it would cost €6k for one complete system but about €9k to do the seperate am I way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Thanks so much for your replies.
    rooferPete wrote:
    If the radiators are modern and working they should be ok, fit a wall hung gas boiler in each apartment and pipe away from it as if the system is new.
    The house is from the early 80s, and there's not been any problems with the the radiators, as far as I know.
    fdevine wrote:
    Probably a good idea to get some advice from a plumbing/heating contractor.....
    Oh, I was gonna call some later this afternoon, I was just feeling it out on boards.ie, as I do with most things I know nothing about!
    Can any recommend a reliable plumbing/heating contractor?
    Thanks,
    q

One boiler and and "service charge" for constant heating and hotwater. This is probably the cheapest installation but arkward to manage as one tennant would need to be in control.
    That's the way it is where I live - the guys upstairs control the heating, and it can be a headache when you don't control your own heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

quaalude wrote:
    That's the way it is where I live - the guys upstairs control the heating, and it can be a headache when you don't control your own heating.

Big time - the other thing to bear in mind is that different tenants will have differnt priorities. ie somebody with kids will want the heat on all day in winter, whereas those working probably wouldn't.

Spliting the system would be better all round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi q,

1980's radiators while they are working and will continue working are not as effecient as the 2005 radiators.

Also the radiators may have been sized to suit the overall heating of the house at the time of installation.

For the difference in cost it may be better to change the radiators now and avoid any potential problems in the future.

The cost of the boilers do not vary as much as they would appear based on the output required, thermostatic valves would be help on each radiator, some people want a lot of heat others prefer low background heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

rooferPete wrote:
    1980's radiators while they are working and will continue working are not as effecient as the 2005 radiators.
    Only as regards speed of response. If you don't mind your rads heating up more slowly, leave them where they are: they'll also cool down more slowly.

Great, thanks for the help.
    I called some heating guys today, I'll get some quotes and see what gives. I don't suppose anyone knows of a reliable heating contractor?
    Thanks,
    q

Advertisement