Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

universal account number??

Options
  • 21-06-2005 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm moving house and have had an shockin difficult time tryin to close my phone line & broadband over the last 2days. eircom say they can't close my line until my (BT) broadband is removed. BT can't close my broadband until i contact ericom to get my 'universal account number'.
    Of course eircom don't know about the universal account number and refer back to BT, who refer me back to eircom and the whole thing goes into a loop that way. It's a complete circus, I've left the house, my line and broadband still active.
    Has this happened to anyone else? how was it resolved?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the line wasn't unbundled (I'm guessing it's not), then eircom have a number somewhere in their rickety systems that refers to your line. This is probably what BT are talking about. It's the number that BT would use if they were querying the BB availabililty on your line, or moving you over to Carrier Preselect.

Have a look at your old eircom bills for the account number there - that might do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Email consumerline@comreg.ie or ring their LoCall number: 1890 22 9668

Ask them to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was looking for this recently.

I phoned Ericom to get it and the helpful drone informed me I was with another provided :eek:

I told him I was aware of this but needed my Eircom account number. He then told me it was in the post and six weeks later I still don't have it. :rolleyes:

However, when I got home that evening I looked at a BT bill and noticed it has

"Eircom Account Number: "

or something to that effect on it. This is your Universal number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like bollox to me. At my last address I had BT broadband and Eircom for line rental. I rang eircom and cancelled the phone line, it was gone the following morning but the BB was still working. I didn't actually cancel the BB for another few weeks as I was waiting for my 12 months to end. Neither company had a problem canceling their product without intervention by the other.

Eircom aren't supposed to give your account number out over the phone either but I have gotten that number from BT when I signed up for line rental as I didn't have it to hand myself.

Do you have line rental aswell as BB with BT? That could be the problem perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foxtail

thanks all. called Comreg (thanks damien.m) and it's all pointing to BT but comreg won't have an answer for 10days. will chase it up with BT.

I've had broadband with BT for 2 years and never had bill, so can't look up the number on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 guebeln0

foxtail wrote:
    thanks all. called Comreg (thanks damien.m) and it's all pointing to BT but comreg won't have an answer for 10days. will chase it up with BT.

I've had broadband with BT for 2 years and never had bill, so can't look up the number on that.

Hey Foxtail!

Have the exact same problem, with BT (iol) and Eircom. Did you come to a solution?

Thanks,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

foxtail wrote:
    I've had broadband with BT for 2 years and never had bill

The Monkey BT Billing dept strike again ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

foxtail wrote:

You never got a paper bill but they got their money through DirectDebit/Credit Card or they just never looked for money from you???

Damn if that company wasnt owned by BT...it would have gone bust a long time ago!!!

There is probable a bill waiting for you, somewhere, for ~€1000!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Your UAN is your eircom a/c number, eircom should give it to you over the phone.
    BT wont have access to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

So in order to cancel a BT product you need to give them something they don't have access to and that they don't provide you with? That sounds really odd. If they needed your Eircom a/c to setup the service, which I'm sure they did, then they must have it somewhere and you should only have to give them the BT acc info to cancel and they can deal with the Eircom end of things for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

nm wrote:
    Your UAN is your eircom a/c number, eircom should give it to you over the phone.
    BT wont have access to it.
    Incorrect.

BT would have your UAN as its the universal reference to your eircom account/landline. It is seperate to your eircom (internal) account number.

Ask BT for it and they will give you it:
    Dear Viking

Thank you for your email. Your universal account number is 469xxxxx.

Should you need any further information in relation to your account, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

BT Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT do not always publish it on their bills (the ones you log in for and print yourself) , therefore they may not have it.

Their online interface does not allow you to add it in the account administration , DuHHHH

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The UAN - Uni Account Number is a Regulatory Obligation on the part of WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) operators to provide, BT are providing same to you and are in breach of their obligation if you can'y get it.

Complain to ComReg if its being withheld and not appearing on your line rental invoice.

Advertisement