Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal Website Payments Pro

Options
  • 21-06-2005 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Has anybody experience in using this new Payments system from PayPal

Is is available to Irish customers

Also how can you check what type of a paypal account you have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

I use paypal a lot, so was very interested in this. As far as i can see its US only at the moment. I have a business account and there is no new options.

I would say it will not be long before we get it.

Now if they they could handle lasercard everyone would be happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ianaldo

If your looking to use a payments gateway for a website i recommend you look into realex, there an irish based company in dublin, they have good rates and integration is very good!

Ianaldo wrote:
    If your looking to use a payments gateway for a website i recommend you look into realex, there an irish based company in dublin, they have good rates and integration is very good!

Yes but you need to have an existing merchant account with your bank. A merchant account is the existing ability to take credit cards using the wee machines you see in shops.

Most people do not have this so your only real options are worldpay or paypal. I go with paypal, no set up costs and a great system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Most people do not have this so your only real options are worldpay or paypal. I go with paypal, no set up costs and a great system.
    Worldpay? Eek!
    2checkout is a good option and a lot more cost-effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

I used PayPal whilst abroad for a while to buy a part, at least I think it was called Paypal. I just went to the website. Gave my cc num the guy I was buying off did the same and the funds were transfered almost instantly. Very nifty indeed. Specially for internet trading! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ianaldo

I will have to go with Blacknight on this one, 2checkout are very good with their rates and integration is also extremely good, likewise with worldpay, alot of ppl i know are goin towards worldpay rather than paypal, i think 2checkout though is cheaper overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I really like the sound of Payments Pro, but it looks like you need your own SSL cert for it and you have to handle credit card details yourself. Am I right or missing the point completely?

I have taken a look at the demo on the site and it's a bit vague, I suppose the examples are not geared for developers. It just says "Your site sends the order in the background, we send the confirmation back via the secure payment API...". Does anyone have an actual technical spec on this (what I really want to know is how the details are sent to paypal, then returned upon verification)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You send the details to PP by opening a connection to their server in the background and sending the information, reading the response, and then sending an appropriate response back to your user based on that. The details are all there in the PDFs, and PP seem to include all that's needed.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_wp-pro-integration-outside

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

dahamsta wrote:
    You send the details to PP by opening a connection to their server in the background and sending the information, reading the response, and then sending an appropriate response back to your user based on that. The details are all there in the PDFs, and PP seem to include all that's needed.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_wp-pro-integration-outside

adam

Ah cool thanks, was too blind to see the PDFs there.

Paypal has the benifit that 70% of ebay users use it, so there is quite a lot of people with paypal account's, and the brand is familiar to them.

2chk is ok, but be aware that it can be weeks before they forward your cash, with paypal you can withdraw cash at any time. Also 2ck charges are higher than paypal.

On the plus side, 2ck works in all countries, paypal only works in the major countries.

I would use both :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll be selling direct from my own site shortly so I hope PayPal will start using Ireland as a testbed country now they're located here. Itching to try this.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Well the paypal site says Pro is only available in the US for now but I'm sure it'll be available here eventually.

Setup Paypal Payments Standard on a client's site yesterday and it was easy peasy. Ok you have to use the Paypal frontend/interface but it gets the job done, cheap and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

This looks excellent and long overdue.

I think we'll see even more innovation from paypal since Google scared them recently with their talk of launching some sort of payment service.

No one is really sure what it will look like yet.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum86/509.htm

http://www.webmasterworld.com/ra.cgi?f=86&d=509&url=http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002340279_google18.html

and google have said that they aren't going after paypal. So it'll be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Paypal has the benifit that 70% of ebay users use it, so there is quite a lot of people with paypal account's, and the brand is familiar to them.

How many Irish people use paypal? Anyone have any figures?
    2chk is ok, but be aware that it can be weeks before they forward your cash, with paypal you can withdraw cash at any time. Also 2ck charges are higher than paypal.

You can? since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

hostyle wrote:
    You can? since when?
    Since August last year you can withdraw to an Irish bank at any time. It works out cheaper if you take €100+, but even if you don't it only cost a couple of euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

blacknight wrote:
    Since August last year you can withdraw to an Irish bank at any time. It works out cheaper if you take €100+, but even if you don't it only cost a couple of euro

Ah feck. I blew some PayPal cash on silly things. I was under still the impression it was as useful to Irish banks as notes I printed myself. Oh well.

Advertisement