Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod mini or Ipod

• 21-06-2005 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just about to buy an IPod for my girlfriend and can't make up my mind to buy an IPod mini or an IPod.

I was also wondering if i get an IPod is it possible later to upgrade the harddrive to a 40gb or 60gb one . I take it thats it's a 2.5 h/d thats in them .

Any help at all would be great

Thanks

Al :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Buy an iRiver! (someone had to say it) :p

Does she have enough music to fill an iPod mini? If not there is no reason to spend the extra for unused space. You cannot upgrade iPods HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Ozeire wrote:
    Hi all

Just about to buy an IPod for my girlfriend and can't make up my mind to buy an IPod mini or an IPod.

I was also wondering if i get an IPod is it possible later to upgrade the harddrive to a 40gb or 60gb one . I take it thats it's a 2.5 h/d thats in them .

Any help at all would be great

Thanks

Al :)
    Haha, have you ever seen a 2.5 hdd... I used to have an mp3 player that used 2.5hdds and the thing was the size of a brick (an XClef HD500 btw... oh the memories)

Seriously though, does she listen to millions of different types of music. If so get her a normal iPod... If she only listens to certain types of music go for a mini

I got a mini and it's got more than enough space for the limited musical spectrum I listen to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

ipod mini is so much lighter then the big ipod, i bought a 40gb 3rd gen ipod and its too big my next purchase will be a mini or one of the new sonys they look nice and small about the same size a lighter, so if your going with apple a mini and a nice pink one at that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Does she have (or likely to have) more than 2,500 tracks worth of a collection? If so, better go for the 20gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Buy an iRiver! (someone had to say it) :p

Does she have enough music to fill an iPod mini? If not there is no reason to spend the extra for unused space. You cannot upgrade iPods HDD.

it seams that iriver is to the gadget forum what bmw is to the motor forum, im thinhking of buying a moped. hey why not buy a 3-series bimer :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Considering that the iRiver is better spec. Dont start saying the ipods cheaper because it isnt.
    -FM radio, attachment for ipod was 20 the last place I saw them cheap, thats standard on the irivers, and that doesnt take into account things like USBOTG and the 100s of other bits that the iRiver does for the base line price that the iPod needs loads of extras to do.
    -colour screen, is certainly easier to see
    -video playback on the H300s
    -professional quality music from the audio masters
    -and its not common and dull, iRiver interest among friends lasts for months ipods lasts for minutes.

Plus the iRiver has a huge 16000+ member community to back it and 100s of mods and things to do with the players, you can even skin the player or better still change the case for free!

Why get an iPod when you can have the best.
    it seams that iriver is to the gadget forum what bmw is to the motor forum, im thinhking of buying a moped. hey why not buy a 3-series bimer

Not really considering the iRiver is 279 (without looking for the best price) and that is all in with a cradle, headphone all the cables you need and some others you may not need.
    iPod 40Gb is 250, sounds a better deal until you realise you want Fm radio (standard on irivers), the other cables (Standard on iRivers)... need I go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

ipod mini is only 209 for the 4gb version & 249 for the 6gig
    i have a huge cd collection but i wouldnt have the patience to load up a 30 -40 gig job!
    ive got a 4gig mini & i probably shouldve got the 6 gig but thats about it.
    i find it sturdy - it's been dropped several times with seemingly no ill effects! & the battery life is brilliant
    mine has never run out on me even when on "empty"
    I charged mine up last thursday night used it all last weekend including a 6 hour stint at a family birthday party where i plugged it into a P.A. system & left it on shuffle-im only now recharging it !

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭donalin

if you have an apple computer an iPod is clearly the better choice. What kinda computer does she have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Ozeire wrote:

If he buys her an IRiver, he'll probably be getting the couch for a week :D . Sure, even the entry level IRivers outclass the IPod, but it's more likely that his girlfriend is looking for the token "fashion accessory" MP3 player - maybe (and hopefully) I'm wrong...

As for the HD, I believe it's a 1.8" in the current gen "big" IPods. Even if you could upgrade the HD later on (bye bye warranty), 1.8" HDs are not commercially available I think and even when they do become available to end users, they will be way overpriced (just look at a 2.5" GB for GB to a 3.5").

As for IPod Mini vs IPod, as everyone has said, how much music does she have? If she'll never fill 1/4 of the 20GB Ipod, why cart around the larger player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

astec123 wrote:
    Why get an iPod when you can have the best.

Because sometimes bling value exceeds common sense value. E.g., same carries for LExus vs. Mercedes. On paper it's better, but people still want a brand, like it or not. iRiver is effectively non-existent in the big boys marketing world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement