Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Stats

Options
  • 21-06-2005 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently put up my first website.
    I was looking through the stats, and I'm getting 30 hits a day apparently.
    Does this mean 30 people are visiting my site a day, or is one person clicking on links in my site 30 times?
    I haven't promoted the site at all either, bar on a few business cards and letterheads. Could a lot of the hits my site's been getting be from Web-bots (or whatever)?
    Cheers for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

A hit is not a visitor
    A hit is simply a HTTP request for an element on your site, be that a html file, image or other script.

Most stats analysers should be able to give you the number of unique visitors etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

try Statcounter www.statcounter.com on your site - its free and gives excellent stats on your visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

thanks for the recommendation Miss Polaris :)

(I hope you liked the recent tweaks and getting rid of the banner and pop up advertising)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

cheers people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i looked up statcounter, they stick a horribly image on your site thou :-(
    does anyone know of any free statcounters who leave your website layout alone and just provide you with the stats? just the stats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

huh!?

We off ther most configurable hit counter in the world as well as the option to configure it to be completely invisible. Login to your account, click the wrench icon beside your project name and click "configure counter".

regards,

Aodhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

i looked up statcounter, they stick a horribly image on your site thou :-(
    does anyone know of any free statcounters who leave your website layout alone and just provide you with the stats? just the stats!

How exactly do you think they, as a third party, manage to collect statistics from your domain? They need to stick something on every page (or analyse your logs but you can detect more by making your own). If it bothers you so much, reduce it to 0px width and height or hide it with CSS. Or write your own stats package :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

well they could just provide you with the code to copy and paste onto your site instead of giving you an image

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

well they could just provide you with the code to copy and paste onto your site instead of giving you an image
    Em. They do.
    Have a look at my blog (http://www.mneylon.com/blog)
    I'm using statcounter on it and you won't see any image of any kind on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Rollo, do yourself a favour and save the criticism for when you actually know what you're talking about.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement