Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless network, need some advice

• 21-06-2005 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm thinking of setting up a wireless network. I have a broadband router down stairs, and i'm connecting both PC's with that, heres what its like;

pic13fz.png

Trust me, it works fine, connection sharing and file transfer, its just the router i have. Anyway, would i be able to connect it like this? Using these 2 peices of equipment?

pic20zb.png

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301248&cks=PRL

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302462&cks=PRL

Enjoy my paint art :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

mp3guy wrote:
    Trust me, it works fine, connection sharing and file transfer, its just the router i have. Anyway, would i be able to connect it like this? Using these 2 peices of equipment?

Yes you could do it all right. Just be willing to spend some time configuring everything especially security for your wireless connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

No reason that wouldnt work, but surely the more logical solution is to have the dsl line to bb router, bb router to wireless router/switch and the 2 client PCs connected to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yes you could do it all right. Just be willing to spend some time configuring everything especially security for your wireless connection

OK, how would I go about doing that, considering PC#1 is XPSP2, and PC#2 is XPSP2 AND Ubuntu Linux?
    CiaranC wrote:
    No reason that wouldnt work, but surely the more logical solution is to have the dsl line to bb router, bb router to wireless router/switch and the 2 client PCs connected to that?

Yeah, thats a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

This is my setup might help decide how you want to do it

Linux doesn't really matter i'm running suse 9.2 on pc nr 1 and have a tested it with ubuntu when i first installed it (linksys gear!)

Do a google on the routers linx support

also would you not get rid of the usb connection and go wired or wireless instead a cat5 3 meter cable is only around 2 / 3 euro's max

connection.JPG

my router
    and 2x nics
    laptop is a mini pci 2200 b/g intel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

What you want to do is quite simple , depending on your wireless router.

For speed purposes you will need a router that supports Wireless G - 54 Mbps.

You could use ethernet on the PC that hasnt got a wireless card.

The Broadband modem will look after the DCHP setup (IP addresses) so you dont need to enable it on ur wireless , in fact you may have to disable DHCP on the wireless router so the broadband modem will assign the IP's , DNS and WINS that you need.

In theory , once you have them connected like the picture here , and DHCP is turned off on the wireless router (most routers have 4 network ports , if you only have 1 - then its back to the USB drawing that you have) .

Give it a try the way i have here , and if theres a problem let me know exactly what settings you have , and we'll look into it closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Hey DJtaz

can you help me, I have a netopia modem connect to a netgear rangemax, and then a PC on one of the four ports.

PC cant see the netopia modem

I got DNS settings etc from eircom but just can't get it to work

any help would be appreciated

thanks

I had a bit of a problem like that before and i discovered that the wireless router was giving out the DHCP info , and the modem was also trying to give out the DHCP info. Since the modem had the real info i needed , and the Wireless was closer to the laptop but not giving out the correct info, i was getting IP addresses and info , but it was from the wrong device.

I disabled DHCP in the wireless box , and i ended up getting the info i needed from the Modem , and all worked well after that.

Make sure DHCP is ONLY enabled in ur modem , and give that a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

can someone look at my network picture below and tell me if i should change anything

That looks like it should work ok - is there a problem ?

• Advertisement

file sharing dont work

Do u have firewalls etc etc ?
    They will block file sharing - go to Start - Run - and type in CMD - then type

ipconfig to get ur IP address , and info

from there , go to the other PC - do the same

Ping from 1 IP address to the other .. like Ping 192.168.1.1
    and see if it pings

If that works , u may need to turn on file sharing on one of the machines , if it doesnt , check the firewalls

yes it pings

yes it pings but 192.168.1.1 is the router
    i can ping to the other computer at 192.168.1.3
    i changed it on the firewall and it still wont share files =/ but it shares printers

Xp home???

What os are being used?

What is the exact error message? something like "you do not have permission xxxx to access this resource"

is use "simple file sharing" enabled or disabled from the folder options?

yes exactly filesharing is enabled on both PC's and i get that error message you gave and its XP Home on laptop and other pc

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on one or more computers in the workgroup.

To do that, go to properties of Local Area Connection>properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)>General> Advanced>WINS, check Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (If you have a DHCP-assigned IP address, select Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server ).
    2) Make sure the Computer Browser service is started.

3)In Windows XP home edition, you cannot access the share unless the guest account is enabled.

Have a look at this site this helped me out big time when i had the same problem...

DjTaz wrote:
    I had a bit of a problem like that before and i discovered that the wireless router was giving out the DHCP info , and the modem was also trying to give out the DHCP info. Since the modem had the real info i needed , and the Wireless was closer to the laptop but not giving out the correct info, i was getting IP addresses and info , but it was from the wrong device.

I disabled DHCP in the wireless box , and i ended up getting the info i needed from the Modem , and all worked well after that.

Make sure DHCP is ONLY enabled in ur modem , and give that a try.

Didnt work !!!

I'm at my wits end

Where are ya based Willie ? Im sure theres someone around that can take a look for ya if ur that stuck

DjTaz wrote:
    Where are ya based Willie ? Im sure theres someone around that can take a look for ya if ur that stuck
    they are usually at a hefty cost =/

• Advertisement

I Charge 50 per hour ;) for networking

lol! ye theres a lot of people that ask for help near lucan and I charge a similar rate

guys thanks for the help, but the solution is nuts

the manual supplied says use cable supplied in box to connect adsl router to wireless router, dated jan 05

on the web manual says ensure to use cable supplied by isp

changed cables and ip heaven!

now sorted, it's a super product but a week of frustration based on simple solution

again thanks for help

lol :) nps

Advertisement