Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing A Car From US

Options
  • 21-06-2005 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Any advice on how to go about importing a car from the states . Looking at getting the New Pontiac Soltice which I test drived in the US last week at was very impressed by
    http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp?brand=solstice&pagename=request

The one I am looking at is the 21.945 dollars . I have also budgeted 3200 euro for VRT and Plates . Is about 2000 euro for shipment and insurance too low.

I think I can get it cheaper if its send to Rotterdam (Europort) I don't mind driving it back from Holland.

Any sites with info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

VRT on cars over 1900cc is 30% of the OMSP, or "Open market Selling Price" in Ireland, not the price in the country you bought it. The Revenue decide more or less unilaterally what this is, and for a new model car such as this your guess is as good as mine! Anyway, it's certainly going to be a good bit more than the $22k you would pay for it making your estimate of €3200 for VRT a bit on the low side to say the least. Oh yes, don't forget the VAT either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Yeah cheers , VAT is a problem as well . I might ring them up and see what I can expect . I saw in one of the exceptions for VRT own the car outside the country for 6 months . Maybe a job in Belfast or Newry might be on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

would you get it insured over here?

tbh i'd say you would be looking at a OMSP of about €55k, I based that on the crossfire the other yank coupe over here. Try ringing revenue but there is no pontiac on their site. (VRT on the cross fire is 16k btw)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

philtaylor wrote:
    Is about 2000 euro for shipment and insurance too low.
    Depends where the car is coming from. It the car needs to be transported overland to a port, then it may be more expensive. Also, obviously it will be cheaper to ship from the East coast.

If you ship from an East coast port, €2K would probably do you. Enquire about the handling fees in the port beforehand. These often aren't included in a "shipping" quote and can be hefty.

VAT @ 21% will be payable on the declared value of the vehicle on your marine docs, PLUS the total transport costs. I believe the Dutch rate is 19% and it might be worthwhile finding out how they calculate it.

G'luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

Keep in mind that importing a car that has never been sold in the EU can cause some problems, ring GM up beforehand and check if they will give you the papers needed for registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I would think €2000 for shipping is high. From the port in Japan to the port in Dublin cost me just under €500 plus about another €100 handling charges to the shipping company here. As was mentioned already, though, there may be charges involved getting the car to the port on the far end.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With the added price of VRT and VAT (as it is coming from outside the EU) and it being LHD, is it really worth your while?

The handling and suspension on US cars are not suited to Irish roads. Also not sure about the paintwork, will it endure our climate here rather than the drier US weather it is probably designed for.

Also it may need to be modified to meet EU standards such as having side indicator repeaters added and rear indicators possibly changed from red to amber added, also the speedo/odometer will need to be replaced with one calibrated in kph.

This could be a very costly and difficult venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Cheers guys for the update,

I have spoken with a shipping company who specialize in car shipment . The shipping charge is 750 euro which is a bargain and they will deliver to Dublin Port . However delivery will take 8 weeks and they have 2 ships per month from New York so it would be hard getting the car delivered from the dealer and getting it on to the ship. Timing would have to be good.

Spoken with revenue and they said they get back to me , however doubtful if it would be anything near 25K Market Selling Price(which is 8000 more than US List Price). I'll chase them up at the end of the week.

Cheers for the advice on the insurance which looks to be the big problem as all insurance companies require the cars to have an EU Certificate of road safety ie.. they passed and are fit for EU roads . As the pontiac dont make cars in the EU could be a problem . Might speak to someone in Opel Ireland today.

It looks if you take vat and vrt ( which can not be confirmed until the car arrives plus a hefty insurance . Plus the chance of no one wanting the car when I sell it 3-5 years . Probably now have to put the idea on hold and get a used TT or something.

Cheers do for info

Advertisement