Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff to do in Galway?

• 21-06-2005 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Is there anything interesting happening in Galway city this week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

there's the airshow on in salthill at the weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Red Arrows are back again

http://www.salthillairshow.com/

spectacular stuff . also check out the annual ritual tourist shooting and running over with armoured veeeehikles display

http://www.salthillairshow.com/army_weapons/army_weapons.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Panavia Tornados.

I have wood just thinking about it.

tornado.jpg

Only the one tornado this year I fear. There are rumours of a 'B' type aeronautical weapon flyby at the very beginning (like 3 years back) and a rumour that a Eurofighter may show up :) . These are rumours of course but jeez that B1 was noisy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

drinking.

come on, it's galway.

• Advertisement

ya syxpak, i cant wait to see those tornados. fecking class....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Only the one tornado this year I fear. There are rumours of a 'B' type aeronautical weapon flyby at the very beginning (like 3 years back) and a rumour that a Eurofighter may show up :) . These are rumours of course but jeez that B1 was noisy .

You are fúcking shítting me. Eurofighter. That'll make my year if that shows up. The website is strangly quiet with only 1 F3 and a Jaguar confirmed. No German entry's? Me wonders do they keep some of the fighter jets quiet becuase of the antiwar dickheads? Esp the USAF jets?

daveg wrote:
    Me wonders do they keep some of the fighter jets quiet becuase of the antiwar dickheads? Esp the USAF jets?

Yes they do, they lied outright to the Irish Times today as well, stating that all the planes were display planes not weapon platforms.

Given how much a B1 costs there is no such thing as a display B1 , nor does it carry many conventional weapon packages .

http://www.indymedia.org/en/2002/07/104326.shtml

and

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/b-1b.htm

The anti war mob are entitled to their opinion but I still like my loud expensive and free display of other countries dearly paid for military hardware :) .....unless the clouds are low on the day that is .

Then I stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Do the planes park near so you can get a good look at them?

I went to an airshow there a few years ago in Baldonnel and there was some planes parked up and you could touch them, but not get in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

dawballz wrote:
    Do the planes park near so you can get a good look at them? I went to an airshow there a few years ago in Baldonnel and there was some planes parked up and you could touch them, but not get in them.

Most of the fast jets fly from Shannon. On occasions they fly direct, round trip from their bases (German Tornado's and the RAF jets). The past few years the jets tend to fly to Shannon as they have functions for the pilots in Galway (usually the Raddison). Some of the short strip take off jets (Harriers) and helicopters tend to land in Galway airport for the weekend of the airshow. As for can you go up and touch them a couple of guy's I know were let out onto the runway at Galway airport last year for some close up shots. This won't happen in Shannon though. I went to an airshow in Boston some years back. F14/F15/F16's all parked on the runway for pictures. You could climb right up and look in the cockpit. It's amazing how small and crampt they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Tom Cruise was a perfect casting choice as the pilot in Top Gun.

He's a midget smile.gif

I heard a rather saddening rumour yesterday, that the airshow is being wound-down...anyone have any evidence to confirm/disprove this?

SyxPak wrote:
    I heard a rather saddening rumour yesterday, that the airshow is being wound-down...anyone have any evidence to confirm/disprove this?

Yes , I heard last year that the USAF had recently developed some odd policies regarding the countries they considered worthy to do a display in and especially how they judged 'worthy' and some very odd stories about refusals and why.

I thought at the time nahhhhhhhhhh , thats crazy .

Then I read this report here. Now thats scary :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/03/AR2005050301499.html

SyxPak wrote:

i would doubt it seeing as how much money the local businesses make in salthill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

and on a different note ...

there's an open air ceili .. on saturday I think its on buckfast plazza ... er I mean at the spanish arch :)

I avoid bucky plaza nowadays :( ' cultural events ' make it worse. Remember the stabbing down there on Paddys day where the 'alleged culprits' were too out of it to even leave the scene

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2005/0319/1404037920HM6PATSGALWAY.html

Advertisement