Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy with Irish Broadband, post it here!!

• 21-06-2005 4:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following complaints that we only see negative comments relating to Irish Broadband and beliefs that there are many users out there who never experience any problems with the service, i have set up this thread.

So post here only if you are happy with the service and explain why, also include what mast you are on.

Ill start the ball..

Engineers- were fast and efficient in erecting mast.
    Service- has been perfect, no downtime. 2mb up/down (full download speeds)
    Pings- never erratic 10-30ms.
    Mast- Churchfield,Cork.
    Customer service- Never had to use them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am for the most part happy.

Engineers -Very quick, tidy and friendly.
    Service - I have not noticed any downtime. I was not impressed with the speed at one point. Called in got it sorted. Nice and quick now.
    Pings - Don't check them much but very good when i do, single digit to boards.ie
    Mast - Rochestown, South County Dublin.
    CS - Contacted them a couple of times. Not any worse than over companies I have had to deal with in the past and better than a few.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

I have to say well done, I am very happy with them. I Have 4 computers and 2 VoIP phones running off the Broadband. Never had any hassle was upgraded within a week of them announcing the Bandwidth upgrades.

Order Time: => The minute the mast went live they where out,
    Installation: => Well let just say he came out twice, First time for a LOS. The Second time was to Install the unit. He came early in the morning and didn’t go home until 7:30!!! 8hrs setting it up. Well it was his second install, and I say I thought him more then what he thought me. Sound Man!

Service: => Breeze 2Mbit up and down. Excellent so far, even in bad whether, I'm about 6.3Km from the Mast getting a good SNR reading 20db -> 23db

Pings and Downloads :=> Pings to Gateway is 7ms average. To the Irish broadband Backbone Gateway: about 20ms to 15ms
    Downloads are steady at 250kb/s to 260kb/s as long as the source is not too busy. Very
    Customer Service: Ask for Business support and their very helpful, helped sorting out problems with VoIP fast.

Base Station: Galway, Ballybane

Lads take a bow!
    If you want Broadband get Irish Broadband, they will be miles ahead of eircom, Bt and any other DSL provider, when VoIP kicks off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

puma5k wrote:
    I am very happy with them. I Have 4 computers and 2 VoIP phones running off the Broadband. Never had any hassle was upgraded within a week of them announcing the Bandwidth upgrades.

YOU EITHER WORK FOR IBB OR ARE A RESELLER OF THEIRS IN THE GALWAY AREA SO YOUR OPINION DOES NOT COUNT! NOT AT ALL :eek: !!

Having said that I'm sure they have a genuinely happy _customer_ _somewhere_ in Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well I would have posted my positive feedback on this thread 2 months ago when my connection worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the past 2 months have been hell for me so I'm afraid I have nothing positive to say at the moment... But IBB are working on my problem and they're sending an engineer out soon (within a month or so...) so maybe I'll be posting then to say how happy I am!
    Although I'd be surprised... My faith in IBB is at an all time low...

Glad to see some of you are delighted with your connections though! Lucky you! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

No problems here over the 15 months i've been a customer.

Engineers- Pleasant, quick, clean workers. No bother.
    Service- 2mb/2mb. Apart from a couple of days when some cables got damaged in Ballycoolin, no problems. Here's a speedtest i've just done this very minute.
    Pings- Never any problems there, not that I do much online gaming.
    Ping statistics for 82.195.136.36:
    Packets: Sent = 23, Received = 23, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 12ms
    Mast- Ballycoolin, Blanchardstown, Dublin.
    Customer service- Never been an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

Sponge Bob wrote:
    YOU EITHER WORK FOR IBB OR ARE A RESELLER OF THEIRS IN THE GALWAY AREA SO YOUR OPINION DOES NOT COUNT! NOT AT ALL :eek: !!

Having said that I'm sure they have a genuinely happy _customer_ _somewhere_ in Galway

Well i am happy :D with the IBB Broadband, and I'm saying it as a Customer, at least they make an effort.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Even if he does work for them im sure he still has to pay for the service and expects one that is value for money and reliable. Hes entitled to voice his opinion here the same as anybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Service- has been perfect, no downtime. 1Mbup/down (full download speeds)
    Pings-
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 19ms

Mast- Churchfield,Cork. - i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

why did you not start this thread last September :-( I was writing songs about the service ! ;-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Chief--- wrote:
    Even if he does work for them im sure he still has to pay for the service and expects one that is value for money and reliable. Hes entitled to voice his opinion here the same as anybody else.

That may be so but surely he should declare that he is an employee?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

.......... But IBB are working on my problem and they're sending an engineer out soon (within a month or so...) so maybe I'll be posting then to say how happy I am!

A month? God bless your patience!
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

This thread says it all about IBB.... HAPPY THREAD & still problems roll in .... Wise man pay attention

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

dub45 wrote:
    That may be so but surely he should declare that he is an employee?

I dont see why he should have to, not if hes a paying customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Engineers- were fast and efficient in installing receiver.
    Service- very little downtime. 2mb up/down (full download speeds)
    Pings- reasonably consistent,
    boards.ie ~20ms
    jolt.co.uk ~20ms
    Mast- Clarion Hotel, Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

When IBB is working it's great. Unfortunately it seems they have problems or have oversubscribed on particular masts...

Engineers: Excellent, no problems at all.
    Service: 20-25% loss up/down speed 145kbps (2 months)
    Ping:
    jolt.co.uk
    Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 7, Received = 6, Lost = 1 (14% loss),
    Minimum = 86ms, Maximum = 220ms, Average = 140ms
    boards.ie
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 275ms, Average = 193ms
    Mast: SIAC
    Customer Service: Apparently theres a problem with the SIAC mast that they can't fix until the new mast at Park West comes on line in "2 weeks". Still waiting for a suprevisor to call me back about it (1 week ago). Still awaiting resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Service- downtime 3-4 times in 2 months nothing major but annoying when @ weekend with no support on sunday. 2mb up/down (all over the shop)
    Pings- erratic 10-timeout.
    Mast- 3Rock,Dublin
    Customer service- Very Good bar getting through.

Overall im still happy and i get what i want from the net. If i start playing online games again ill have to get the pings sorted out.

Since the upgrade my satisfaction has dropped but im still happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Been with IBB about 18 months on the Ballycoolin (D15) mast. Lots of problems at the start but for the last year on the 1Mb VL gear no probs whatsoever.

dub45 wrote:
    A month? God bless your patience!
    :eek:
    Indeed it will take approximatively a month as they need the cherrypicker to get onto my roof so that adds a good 2 weeks to the already quite long 2 week waiting period... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

A month???? I can get a cherrypicker to any location next day ,if need be.. So why does it take IBB an extra 2 weeks...especially as they have thier own.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Overall i'm happy enough, the glitches every few weeks i can live with, as they never seem to last too long, and i've started playing WoW, so ping isnt as important to me as it used to be. Generally, ping is less than 50ms ingame in british CS servers.

EDIT: When i originally got the connection is was great for about 4 months, interference kicked in, and took about 3 months to get it fixed, and i was (probably among the first) put on the VL gear, and havn't had a problem since. Except for the occasional glitches, but nothing major/long-lasting. Wouldn't trust VoIP on it though.

Order Time: => 2 weeks.
    Installation: => about 2 hours. Slight delay as he had the wrong gateway IP, and it wouldn't connect on my home PC.

Service: => Breeze 2Mbit up and down. Not sure how to get the SNR reading, maybe someone could tell me.

Pings and Downloads :=> Pings to Gateway is 7ms average. Pings to boards averaging about 15ms.
    Downloads are steady at 230kB/sec.
    Customer Service: Bolax if you go for email support, average if you go for phone support.

Base Station: Tallaght, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

Engineers- Were fast, professional as for being tidy not on your life.

Service- 2nd day I had it I was down for 24 hours, erratic service up ontill upgrade where i avaeraged 50kb up 50 kb down. Got upgraded (figured that out myself) 150-200kb each way ;-) happy man untill i got the letter telling me of the upgraded a month after it had happioned and the speed have droped to around a 100kb each way.

Pings- dont measure them but based on my ftp upload terrible i get timeouts all over the place

Mast- Atrium

Customer service- Not a clue, never sound professional and always sound like scared rabbits expecting the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Engineer - fast, efficient, friendly. Left me plenty of extra cable and went out of his way to bring it in at the back of the house dispite the conservatory etc ...

Service- 2Mbit/2Mbit. Dam good. Virtually constant.

Pings- 18-25 to UK servers, Netsource used to gimme 65-165

Mast- Ballycoolin, Dublin

Customer service- Complete ****e.
    Email Support - even worse.

All in all though, I'm well happy with the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

I've had at home for a month, would reply as follows on that.

Engineers- Fine. Did a neat job, plenty of spare cable left.
    Service- Fine.Speed as advertised,no downtime thus far.
    Pings- Not a gamer, but seem fine whenever I explicitly test them.
    Mast- East Coast Radio tower on Bray Head.
    Customer service- Had no occasion to call them.

We've had it in work for 6 months, would reply as follows on that experience.

Engineers- Fine.
    Service- Fine. Speed as advertised,no downtime thus far.
    Pings- Seem fine.
    Mast- City centre, ESB building in Baggot Street.
    Customer service- Had no occasion to call them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Engineers- was tested and installed in a week, that was in Sept 2002 though, and should probably add that I was the first Residential customer so the head engineering guy came and installed it himself. :p
    Service- has been near perfect, very little downtime. 1mb up/down (full download speeds, being upgraded to 3mb this week)
    Pings- always good, 20-100ms to eu wow servers, 15-25ms to uk fps servers
    Mast- 3-rock, dublin
    Customer service- Perfect, but only if you ring them and pretend support@irishbroadband.ie doesn't exist.

Over the nearly 3 years that I've been with them I have to say that 99%+ of the time the service has been perfect, more so once I got the VL gear, the old stuff was pretty rocky.

so dam negative.............. Stephano you got a chip on your sholders?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I can only give them good marks for their installer guys who are excellent :) My connection is generally alright but that's what i'm paying for - so no extra marks there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bobbydoo

I'm on IBB 2MB in Dublin. They came out & set it up within 2 days.
    Connexion is 240kb up and down. Solid. Never any problems.
    Have had it for 2 and a half months now and am totally overjoyed with it.
    Haven't had any problems at all.
    Even considering upgrading to the 3MB service just cos I'm so happy with it.
    Plus there's no download cap which is excellent. :D

(And no, I'm not an IBB employee)

bobbydoo wrote:
    (And no, I'm not an IBB employee)
    Liar! :p

• Advertisement

Liar! :p

i was gonna say that !

Advertisement