Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy with Irish Broadband, post it here!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've been with IBB for well over two years now, since pretty much the roll out of their first three-rock transmitter, and have gone from the old mesh transmitter to the newer, smaller one

Engineers- Two call outs - both times fast and efficient.
    Service- has been good overall, little downtime. I'm happy with it
    Pings- consistently low overall, with the occasional spike. Good gaming performance.
    Mast- Three-rock, Dublin
    Customer service- Pretty good for teh most part. Never had a mind-numbing phone call like with eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Drapper wrote:
    i was gonna say that !
    Very suspicious!!! considering the post count...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

bobbydoo wrote:
    Plus there's no download cap which is excellent. :D

Lovely, another warez monkey downloading 24/7, that'll help.

Adey2002 wrote:
    Lovely, another warez monkey downloading 24/7, that'll help.
    You can do that when you work for an ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I've had 2 Days

Engineers- Fine. a bit messy, Loads of excess cable for me.
    Service- Rubbish 20-40k up 100k down .
    Pings- Crap.
    Mast- Baldoyle
    Customer service-Rubblish and they seem to know its a bad service. and they were suopposed to egt back in touch with me today to tell me what was wrong with ti ill give it till 7 and if no reply ill be cancelling it
    Pete

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

peterk19 wrote:
    I've had 2 Days

Engineers- Fine. a bit messy, Loads of excess cable for me.
    Service- Rubbish 20-40k up 100k down .
    Pings- Crap.
    Mast- Baldoyle
    Customer service-Rubblish and they seem to know its a bad service. and they were suopposed to egt back in touch with me today to tell me what was wrong with ti ill give it till 7 and if no reply ill be cancelling it
    Pete

Save yourself the time. Cancel now. They won't be calling you back..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Adey2002 wrote:
    Save yourself the time. Cancel now. They won't be calling you back..
    i wasnt expecting them to i just thought id give them a chance anyway still no call ill give them a call in a bit and tell them to remove it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I'm on the ripwave service.

Engineers- None - self install.
    Service- Most of this year has been fine.
    Pings- High.
    Mast- 3 Rock, Dublin
    Customer service- Poor when I had to use them. Havn't needed to since the beginning of year.

Overall happy, though I'm reluctant to recommend them due to problems early on. The main thing for me is a reliable, always on connection. I'm not too concerned about pings as I'm not a gamer. Download speed has been OK for a 512k service. I get 58K downloads on a fairly consistant basis. This is better than what I used to get with the Eircom 512k DSL service.

I think IBB need to put more effort into managing new technologies. From reading the posts on this board, it seems like each new transmitter undergoes a load of technical problems that take weeks or months to resolve. I believe that the technology itself is fine; it is the management of them that is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 G|N|T

IBB are the best ISP!!! i've never had any problems!! Seriously, perfect speeds and perfect pings!!! 2mbit up and down!! Everyone has problems with ISPs and they will eventually get sorted. A lot of people tend to forget it is contended......if they want 2meg all the time, they need to get a 2mbit 1:1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

G|N|T wrote:
    IBB are the best ISP!!! i've never had any problems!! Seriously, perfect speeds and perfect pings!!! 2mbit up and down!! Everyone has problems with ISPs and they will eventually get sorted. A lot of people tend to forget it is contended......if they want 2meg all the time, they need to get a 2mbit 1:1.

Ehh no............

• Advertisement

Have we another IBB employee??? or maybe the wise man has a few user names!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Anyone out there on the bray/greystones mast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

puma5k wrote:
    I have to say well done, I am very happy with them. I Have 4 computers and 2 VoIP phones running off the Broadband. Never had any hassle was upgraded within a week of them announcing the Bandwidth upgrades.

Order Time: => The minute the mast went live they where out,
    Installation: => Well let just say he came out twice, First time for a LOS. The Second time was to Install the unit. He came early in the morning and didn’t go home until 7:30!!! 8hrs setting it up. Well it was his second install, and I say I thought him more then what he thought me. Sound Man!

Service: => Breeze 2Mbit up and down. Excellent so far, even in bad whether, I'm about 6.3Km from the Mast getting a good SNR reading 20db -> 23db

Pings and Downloads :=> Pings to Gateway is 7ms average. To the Irish broadband Backbone Gateway: about 20ms to 15ms
    Downloads are steady at 250kb/s to 260kb/s as long as the source is not too busy. Very
    Customer Service: Ask for Business support and their very helpful, helped sorting out problems with VoIP fast.

Base Station: Galway, Ballybane

Lads take a bow!
    If you want Broadband get Irish Broadband, they will be miles ahead of eircom, Bt and any other DSL provider, when VoIP kicks off

Ah come on!!!! EIGHT HOURS?????!!!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Engineers -> Very punctual, efficient and fast [less than an hour].
    Service -> One or two small outages. Otherwise no complaints.
    Pings -> Not a gamer, but no complaints here either.
    Mast -> Bray.
    Customer service -> Would like to comment, but Boards policy does not allow abusive language or swearing :D .

All in all, if you don't have to contact their Sales or Service departments, I would definitely recommend 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Firstly I am not an IBB employee! I began using Ripwave linked to 3 rock in October last year and it was terrible. Always went down at weekends or in evenings when Support were gone home. It worked often enough to persevere. Eventually I ordered an alternative from Esat BT. It arrived 6 weeks later with a camera that was not compatible with my G5 iMac. I did not like their anti Mac attitude so I bundled up their package and returned it. I rang IBB and refused to speak with support people and spoke to an account manager. I told him of my problems since I joined and he waived 3 months of my fee. The signal was still acting poorly but did not want to cancel as i had it free for 3 months! In April they upgraded their service and I began to get consistent just under the 512 kb/sec which is the advertised speed for my service. In June I got an e-mail saying the cost would be reduced from July to €24.99 per month. Since April it has been brilliant and I suppose I am the third person on here that is happy with the service! I am not reliant on eircon (as everyone else is) and could do away with my home phone if I wanted.

Am I just suspicious ? or why is it the happy customers are all new to boards...And they also insist on making the point that they do not work for IBB..Something the rest of us don't feel the urge to point out....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ah come on!!!! EIGHT HOURS?????!!!!! :confused:

puma5k works for IBB , search around this board and you will see him trying to sell IBB on occasion.

Lets get back to the happy campers now , its their thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

The reason I said I didn't work for IBB was because anyone else that praised IBB was accused of being an employee so let's knock that on the head. I only discovered these boards last week when I was trying to sell an item and felt compelled to answer a question that I saw posted - Are you happy with IBB? I am, my comments are genuine and you shouldn't be so cynical. The success of these boards is down to people's points of view and everyone was new to the boards once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yep. On a decent day I'm getting about half the advertised speed, on a bad day maybe a quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

beller b wrote:
    Am I just suspicious ? or why is it the happy customers are all new to boards...And they also insist on making the point that they do not work for IBB..Something the rest of us don't feel the urge to point out....
    Joined Boards in Feb 2004.
    Never said whether or not I worked for IBB [I'm self employed BTW].

And I'm still pretty happy with them.

Yup. You are suspicious :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

how long have IBB been in existence....???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

juliuspret wrote:
    how long have IBB been in existence....???
    I think they first started offering services about 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 IDUBasher

Hi,

I've had a few problems with IBB since I've upgraded from ripwave to 2mb breeze. My problems are not so much with service quality(it could be way better) but more with their billing and ability to identify their own products, I had phoned them so many times to try get it sorted out and only after I asked for names(don't let them only give you their first name) and departments and warned that I'd cancel the contract did they get off their arses and appear to do something about it. The problem itself seems simple to resolve. I wanted 2mb(24:1) but they installed and billed me for 1mb(48:1), also they where still billing me for ripwave which I no longer have and that after numerous calls about it, they still had not fixed their mistake. Anyway, they called me back in less than 10mins and the lady(whos name and dept I had asked for) promised it was all sorted out and apologised as many times as she could. Since the call my connection has been so much better, but still has plenty of room for improvement, for now I'm prepared to wait a few months and see if quality improves as demand deminishes. Will only know when it happens.

Engineer - fast, left plenty of cable, wouldn't touch my systems tho.

Service - Ping is most of the time good. At best, 15ms avg to jolt.co.uk with no packet loss. Bandwith however is not even half of what is advertised and far less on a bad day. Done a check at 3:00am on monday morning results are down:876kbits/s up:431kbits/s. I don't download too much these days, got addicted to EVE and there aint enough hours in the day to play that.

Mast - Guinesses, their most subscribed mast, lucky me. :rolleyes:

Customer Service - Nice people, bit thick. They should at the very least be able to identify the products they are selling, even just the basics. Also technical support has a tendancy to brush off real complaints with utter BS even when they are aware of an issue.

Overall, I dunno where I stand on it, I could live with their customer service being ****e if I never have to use it, Gonna give it another while and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm on the Guinness mast also IDUBasher but my pings are crap unlike yours. They're changing my radio this afternoon... Really hoping ping issue is gone by this evening! Haven't been able to play Call of Duty properly for 3 months now!

I'm on the Guinness mast also IDUBasher but my pings are crap unlike yours. They're changing my radio this afternoon... Really hoping ping issue is gone by this evening! Haven't been able to play Call of Duty properly for 3 months now!

Man I dont think its a problem with the radio on your house and I bet you 50Euro the signal will be the same !

whats your ping to the gateway? I believe the latency is due to oversubscribing on the mast and the peak time beeing effected by this ! sure give it a lash anyway but I think if they give you your SNR or SR level and its about about 14/15 then is a mast/network capacity problem !

trust me I'm getting good with this technology ! might even apply fo a job in IBB and sorts you's all out !!

lol

note the new Avater :- the suspicious Eye !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

So far, so good with my IBB connection.

Order Time: => About a month from the time I filled in the paper work, Feb 2005

Installation: => LOS and installation all in about 3 hours same day. The two lads were still finding their feet a lil, but made it through in the end.

Service: => Originally on the Breeze 1Mbit Sym...now upgraded to Breeze 2Mbit Sym No Cap(subscribed at the right time). No major problems so far. I get 3-4 bars on my aerial signal meter, but I hope to move it up closer to the top of the pole soon to see can I increase it. I experienced a drop in throughput for a cpl of days, but it went back to normal after an email.

Pings and Downloads :=> I dont look at pings too often...google is about 20mS i think. Downloads are very good, depending on server of course. I average bout 150-180 KBps.

Customer Service: Had to use it only once so far to find out their SMTP address.

Base Station: Killiney Hill, Dublin.

On the whole, a very good service.

1. Useful for when I reinstall Win2K or XP...downloading SPacks, upgrades, patches etc would take forever on dial up!!! Also, updating AVG, AdAware, MS Antispyware

2. Skype PC-PC voice works very well, Skype out is a bit ropey sometimes

3. Blueface trial is working well

Just as a matter of interest, can someone enlighten me on how IBB gets DSL to their AP masts...is it via wireless also? And who do they buy their DSL from?

Just one more matter of interest, does anyone know what area coverage the Rochestown Avenue mast, Dun Laoghaire has?

Thank you.
    Dara.

humaxf1 wrote:
    So far, so good with my IBB connection.

Order Time: => About a month from the time I filled in the paper work, Feb 2005

Installation: => LOS and installation all in about 3 hours same day. The two lads were still finding their feet a lil, but made it through in the end.

Service: => Originally on the Breeze 1Mbit Sym...now upgraded to Breeze 2Mbit Sym No Cap(subscribed at the right time). No major problems so far. I get 3-4 bars on my aerial signal meter, but I hope to move it up closer to the top of the pole soon to see can I increase it. I experienced a drop in throughput for a cpl of days, but it went back to normal after an email.

Pings and Downloads :=> I dont look at pings too often...google is about 20mS i think. Downloads are very good, depending on server of course. I average bout 150-180 KBps.

Customer Service: Had to use it only once so far to find out their SMTP address.

Base Station: Killiney Hill, Dublin.

On the whole, a very good service.

1. Useful for when I reinstall Win2K or XP...downloading SPacks, upgrades, patches etc would take forever on dial up!!! Also, updating AVG, AdAware, MS Antispyware

2. Skype PC-PC voice works very well, Skype out is a bit ropey sometimes

3. Blueface trial is working well

Just as a matter of interest, can someone enlighten me on how IBB gets DSL to their AP masts...is it via wireless also? And who do they buy their DSL from?

Just one more matter of interest, does anyone know what area coverage the Rochestown Avenue mast, Dun Laoghaire has?

Thank you.
    Dara.

Think its Esat mate ! and I think they use fibre link and sometimes radion from some basestations.

Coverage maps are on thier site ! www.irishbroadband.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Here is my experience of IBB.

Engineers- self-installed Ripwave outta the box in 20 minutes.
    Service- has been very very good. perfect for general use, acceptable for playing COD UO online. I have an old pc 1.3ghz with an old GFX 32mb card so I wasn't expecting miracles.
    Pings- what I would expect.
    Mast- Killiney Hill.
    Customer service- Never had to use them.
    Downtime - Twice since Xmas, for no more than 4 hours.
    I'm in Dunlaoghaire beside the peoples park.

Things thay keep me happy with the service: They have reduced the price by a fiver recently. I had/have no landline in my house with so Ripwave is a good alternative for me.
    I had Eirsom DSL at twice the price last year in my old house. Good service, same DSL service but at TWICE the price!!

I would reccomend one tries it if one hasn't got a landline...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Engineers -> No problems there. Would have been nice if he hoovered up the plaster from the hole in the wall but thats all

Service -> So far no outages that I've noticed.

Pings -> Haven't played games using it yet so haven't "stress tested" it. But for websurfing and mailing large email attachments its good.
    Mast -> RTE (Breeze 2Mb)
    Customer service -> Only rang the once to get teh SMTP name. So can't say for sure what they're like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Blaster99 wrote:
    Yep. On a decent day I'm getting about half the advertised speed, on a bad day maybe a quarter.
    Excellent excellent that more like i wanna hear!!!!!!!

Advertisement