Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy with Irish Broadband, post it here!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

you are better off just pickin up a wireless router from PC world and installing wireless PCI cards or centrino with laptop and getting BT DSL works great for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Once again I feel I should say that, here in Ireland, we're stuck trying to pick a decent supplier out of the complete cack they all offer, WRT broadband, instead of being kids in a candy store we're stuck in the pharmacy, left to pick between chocolate laxatives and cough medicine. I know quite a few people who've warned me off Eircom's broadband, a small number who've done the same for Esat, and like many others I know NTL isn't an option due to having to switch to them as a phone company (not heard any complaints about their broadband so this is the only con, but it's a major con).
    Perhaps once all Broadband suppliers are available in all areas they'll have to compete for the business and it might get things to improve but as long as areas tend to have at most about 3-4 to choose from with one often being a no-name supplier... :(
    I should be getting IBB installed within a month so I'll have to see how bad it is then but the complaints I've been hearing from friends about other ISPs mean that I don't think it could be much worse. As long as I can play games, surf and make the odd download I'll be happy (don't care about speed as long as it's at least the 88kb minimum that the contention ratio can explain), otherwise I'll have to cancel and just use the money to cover playing over the standard pay per minute type dial-up online access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm slowly but surely going back to the "I'm delighted with my IBB connection" group! :D

See below:

IrishISPTest.JPG

Haven't seen these kinds of results in months! I'm delighted! Hopefully it will last a very long long time... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

your some chancer !!! ;-) typical french sitting both side of the fence !!lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Steffano2002,

Your connection is beyond perfect!!!

Will you stop complaining now???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

:D:D:D

2Mb 24:1 3Rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

maybe just the same person constantly? Well tbh i'd give praise if it was deserved but its not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

farohar wrote:
    Once again I feel I should say that, here in Ireland, we're .................... I know quite a few people who've warned me off Eircom's broadband, a small number who've done the same for Esat, and like many others I know NTL isn't an option due to having to switch to them as a phone company (not heard any complaints about their broadband so this is the only con, but it's a major con). ......................

No matter what criticism you may have of Eircom as a company their bb product has probably been the most consistent of the adsl products - there have been very very few threads here on boards complaining about it. (There were lots of complaints around the time of the upgrade but they seem to have been solved now for the most part)

NTL do not have a phone product in fact they withdrew it sometime ago in a 'blaze' of publicity.

Drapper wrote:
    your some chancer !!! ;-) typical french sitting both side of the fence !!lol

I don't want this thread to become political but when did you ever see France sit on both sides of the fence? :confused:
    This not very funny me thinks...

zuma wrote:
    Steffano2002,

Your connection is beyond perfect!!!

Will you stop complaining now???

Well I never complained in the first 4 months when it was perfect so I guess you won't see me complaining much anymore... That's until it messe up again of course!

Now, I still however find this IBB connection a little pricey... :p

• Advertisement

:D:D:D

2Mb 24:1 3Rock

Can we ban him for showing off? Please? Somebody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

With BT's recent offers, it's difficult to recommend anyone to go with Eircom considering the price difference. I can't really see why anyone would go with IBB over BT seeing as you save €1.60 per month for a potentially very flakey product. IBB used to be pretty good value, and then you could put up with the unreliability to some extent, but the ADSL providers have gotten a lot more competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I don't want this thread to become political but when did you ever see France sit on both sides of the fence? :confused:
    This not very funny me thinks...

Its called a joke m8 ! one sec your slatting IBB another you love them !! :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Something I've just noticed:
    On Breeze 1MB:
    Fast Internet access for:-tele working -freeing up the home phone line-unrestricted uploading and downloading.
    Download Limit 30 GB

0_o

link here: http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm

Drapper wrote:
    Its called a joke m8 ! one sec your slatting IBB another you love them !! :-)
    Talk to them then! It's not my fault if it's not always good! :p

dub45 wrote:
    No matter what criticism you may have of Eircom as a company their bb product has probably been the most consistent of the adsl products...
    Well to me the fact that I know so many warning me off them just proves my point regarding our poor options here in Ireland.
    dub45 wrote:
    NTL do not have a phone product in fact they withdrew it sometime ago in a 'blaze' of publicity.

A "blaze" which no-one I know seems to have witnessed or heard about.
    At least I can suggest it to one of my friends who's currently stuck with Eircom and very disappointed (having to change phone company was his reason for sticking with Eircom), the others all got fed up and left Eircom a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

My speeds were excellent early this evening, I went out happy thinking that the months of slow speeds were over. IBB have actually sorted it/upgraded, pulled themselves out of the hole. Woohoo, wonderful.

but wait, nope, back at midnight to see it's worse than ever.

On the positive side, if I want to wait till 3am in the morning to use the internet I get an excellent connection, wonder why that is..

farohar wrote:

A "blaze" which no-one I know seems to have witnessed or heard about.

No one you know reads the Irish Times? (14th October 2004)
    Supplier says NTL installation a potential hazard
    By Jamie Smyth, Technology Reporter

The US company Tellabs is blaming NTL Ireland for incorrectly installing its equipment in 2,000 homes and causing a potential fire hazard for customers.

The company, which manufacturers the box that provides a direct telephone service for customers, confirmed yesterday it was in dispute with NTL Ireland over the cause of the fire hazard.

The dispute between the company's centres on the cause of the "safety risk", which forced NTL Ireland to tell its direct telephone customers to unplug their equipment immediately last weekend due to overheating.............................

RTE

Dail!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Hahahaha!!!

I remember that story...a BLAZE allright!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Adey--Its called contention!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Had 1mb Breeze installed the other day...

has beem consistently ****e since install...

e.g this mornings ping to the Guinness mast i am connected to..

Ping statistics for 83.141.66.1:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 10, Lost = 10 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 570ms, Average = 98ms

Means it is impossible to play games...

:(

Very disappointed. Will hassle tech support for a bit to see if anything happens, but it looks like i will be cancelling...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

dalk wrote:
    Had 1mb Breeze installed the other day...

has beem consistently ****e since install...

e.g this mornings ping to the Guinness mast i am connected to..

Ping statistics for 83.141.66.1:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 10, Lost = 10 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 570ms, Average = 98ms

Means it is impossible to play games...

:(

Very disappointed. Will hassle tech support for a bit to see if anything happens, but it looks like i will be cancelling...
    Hrm hard luck dude, all the problems seem to be north of the liffey.

I'm connected to the Tallaght mast, out of a choice of three, perfect pings and speeds.

General advice seems to be, if you're on the northside, go Cable or ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Im on the Northside and have to say a weeks ago IBB was an absolute nightmare but seems to have improved as of late..on another note has anybody had problems with them regarding direct debits?I set up one with them and twice they haven't taken the money then send me a statement with "overdue please send payment immediately" on it,wa nkers,their fault in the first place :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I'm slowly but surely going back to the "I'm delighted with my IBB connection" group! :D

See below:

IrishISPTest.JPG

Haven't seen these kinds of results in months! I'm delighted! Hopefully it will last a very long long time... ;)

since ive been with IBB ive NEVER seen anything remotely like that, :(

dub45 wrote:
    No one you know reads the Irish Times? (14th October 2004)

RTE

Dail!!! :eek:
    But where does it say anything about them permanently withdrawing from the telecommunications service? They could just switch suppliers for the faulty equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 R@VeN (IRE)

Cult I'm on the Tallaght mast too, and my connection is terrible, I've already canceled and am switching back to NTL tomorrow. They are prob the best out of a bad bunch, best for online gaming anyway, Smart Telecom ain't bad either I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 alfern

I have had Irish broadband now for a week, and I'm not satisfied at all.

Engineer: came here after 5 weeks, and installed it, said signal was around 25db

service: non existant most of the time. Connection falls out all the time, lasts for 2-3 minutes, then I need to reset the modem box to get a signal again. As long as I am connected the service is quite good, but it lasts only a few minutes. In off peak hours (before 2pm) it can stay connected for a long time. I think there is too many users on the mast, or that their servers are overloaded.

Mast: I live in Blanchardstown, Dublin, so I guess it is in Ballycoolin.

Anyone else have this problem.....could it be the modem, antenna itself causing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We have had the same issues alfern,
    web pages timing out, unrelible pings to say the least and
    absurd dl and upload speed not even half of what we are ment to be paying for each week.

6 weeks of ringing and getting no where and they have said we may need to send some one out but no word of when.

we are in blanchardstown we were on the artrium but were moved to Ballycoolin
    signal wise but no one came out to adjust the mast on the roof to face Ballycoolin.

farohar wrote:
    But where does it say anything about them permanently withdrawing from the telecommunications service? They could just switch suppliers for the faulty equipment.

You claimed that a new customer had to switch their phone to NTL to get the bb product. They do not have a phone product currently. You claimed no one you knew had heard about their withdrawal of the telephone service. The NTL website offers three domestic products none of which is a telephone service.

I am sure that tne new owners will come up with some sort of package in due course with a telephone product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Ok I used IBB for 2 years and did have problems with slow speeds, when I called they claimed that they were utilising the majority of bandwidth for businesses during 9-5 ... sometimes I couldn't even get my emails it was so slow, but after a few phone calls they rectified the matter and I have to say I was generally happy with the service. I recently switched to NTL for faster speed for less money, but there's always the download cap with NTL, and I have had at least three service outages with NTL in less than three months. At least IBB gave a heads up when the service was going to go down for any reason.. sometimes I wish i had stayed with IBB, they offered me 1.5mb for €35 when I called to cancel my service with them, and I have to say I felt guilty, because they were the first isp I was able to get broadband with, was too far from the eircom exchange, and to be honest I'd die bofore I pay eircom one red cent more than I have to... ... anyways thus endeth the rant

Advertisement