Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e-mail on Meteor

Options
  • 21-06-2005 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I managed to get access to Meteor's ISP access point, and I can retrieve e-mail but I'm having problems sending it.

Does anyone know if Meteor provide an outgoing e-mail server (SMTP), the way Vodafone does?

If it makes a difference, I'm a pre-pay customer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

unfortunately anytime i've asked them they have say no, mid march was the last time resulting in this reply...
    We do not provide an SMTP server, you can simply us the existing SMTP server from your existing e-mail provider...

may be worth asking again in case things have changed since then... i was emailing
    internetaccess AT meteor DOT ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Yes, I ended up at the same email address :)

They once again confirmed they don't provide an outgoing email server, but at the same time that they don't block the SMTP port.

Unfortunately because of all the spam on the internet most email servers are now locked down to take email only from their own network.

I did manage to find a workaround for this, for only 6 euro.
    I've set up my email server with authentication (SMTP AUTH) and downloaded a small client application for Symbian called Email Sender - http://www.viking.tm/product.php?id=9 and it works like a charm.

To see if your SMTP server supports AUTH just run
    "telnet servername 25"
    You should get a 220 response, then type in:
    "ehlo localhost"
    and the server should respond with a list of supported commands.

Mine looks like this:
    220 titan.pcekspert.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.3/8.12.3/Debian-7.1; Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:28:38 +0200; (No UCE/UBE) logging access from: debian(OK)-debian [127.0.0.1]
    ehlo localhost
    250-titan.pcekspert.com Hello debian [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-PIPELINING
    250-EXPN
    250-VERB
    250-8BITMIME
    250-SIZE
    250-DSN
    250-ETRN
    250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
    250-STARTTLS
    250-DELIVERBY
    250 HELP
    quit
    221 2.0.0 titan.pcekspert.com closing connection

Hope this helps others who're in the same boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mobile Sense

Heard on the grape vine they have an awesome product offering on the way with content and changes due to happen in the next few weeks that will blow the others away..I assume they will have e mail as I know you can have a mymeteor e mail acount which is like the o2 and vodafone ones

Advertisement