Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK get 8MB and 24MB broadband

• 21-06-2005 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

Just heard that Freedom2Surf are introducing consumer broadband of 8MB initally and then hoping to introduce 24MB too...

8MB broadband with a cap of 100GB at £14.99 a month!!

http://www.freedomtosurf.net/adsl/press.php?release=28

While we've got Eircom introducing 20E a month for 20 hours of crappy broadband... Is it me or do you feel we're getting screwed... :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

God damn... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mang87 wrote:
    God damn... :(

its about UK£27 for the 100Gb cap, UK£14.99 gets you 2Gb only.

No free connections , they are UK50 and you pay for your modem too ....and its USB not ethernet , yuk .

You are also on shared LLU so you pay your full line rental as well.

Smart are a superior deal. Most superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

wrote:
    Freedom2Surf is today launching its 8Mbit Connect Package which will be immediately available from just £14.99 a month.
    How the f*ck can eircom or any other provider in ireland charge their prices if this is what our close neaghbour is getting
    *angry*

\edit\
    wrote:
    Smart are a superior deal. Most superior.
    In ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How the f*ck can eircom or any other provider in ireland charge their prices if this is what our close neaghbour is getting
    Reasons:
    UK has had BB longer than Eire.
    UK is not all linked to one system (eg: Eircom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Also....we are willing to lie down and take it. Although we may moan on forums such as these....Eircom and the others know they have us by the short and curlies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

bulldog communications (part of cable and wireless do 8Mbit at £25 with line rental)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

yah bulldog is 27.99 8meg uncappred as far as i know and ukonline is doing 8meg for 29.99 with a 500gig a month cap!!!!(yes you did just read 500gigs!!!)

lucky enough im heading over to london in september for a bit so gona try and sign up to one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

the_syco wrote:
    Reasons:

Please stop referring to Ireland as Eire unless you are speaking/typeing "as Gaeilge".

France would be a better example of LLU than the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

the_syco wrote:
    Reasons:

Erm, they more or less are.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cykedout

Friend of mine spends alot of his time in France (his girlfriend's French) and he gets a 20Mb BB line, uncapped for €14.99 a month. This also includes line rental, ALL local calls are free (Paris area) and national and international calls are at reduced rates. And for another €10 a month, you get 250 TV channels (although most are in French).

We're definitely getting screwed here in Ireland.

...........................But then not enough people complain enough to get this changed...................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

juliuspret wrote:
    Please stop referring to Ireland as Eire unless you are speaking/typeing "as Gaeilge".

France would be a better example of LLU than the UK.

What is your problem with the word Eire?

litirspam wrote:
    What is your problem with the word Eire?

It's highly unusual to insert random words from un autre langue when there are perfectly good words available in the current language.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

rsynnott wrote:
    It's highly unusual to insert random words from un autre langue when there are perfectly good words available in the current language.

I guess he thinks Éamon de Valera was a jerk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

how about the republic of ireland there are two countrys on this island remember!

Stop acting a twit Nuphor.
    The 26 counties of what we now call Ireland was called after independence The Free State then from 1937 with a constitution Eire and once we became a republic and left the British Empire/Commonwealth Republic Of Ireland in English or Eire in Irish.

When I speak German I say Deutschland, but in English I say Germany!!!

The same is true for every country...includeing Ireland....as it is referred to in the English language!!!

county
    http://alt-usage-english.org/ireland.html
    This country is Ireland and the UK is on the Northern portion of this Island.
    The Rep. of Ireland is used to distinguish between the 2 soccer teams.

Nuphor wrote:
    I guess he thinks Éamon de Valera was a jerk.

Erm, to be honest, yes I do. But that's completely beside the point. We live in Ireland (or the Republic of Ireland). It's Irish name is Eire. "Republic of Ireland" and "Eire" are the official names.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its fantastic that we live in a country such as Eire that has so much freedom of speech, :cool:

In fairness unless your going to refer to Ireland as Republic Of Ireland EVERYTIME you talk about it, Eire or Ireland is just fine when talking about Ireland.

http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/ also offer 8MB BB but its 29.99, however they offer 512K for £9 on exchanges that are unbundled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

The package also has 768K upload. Decent enough for hosting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

juliuspret wrote:
    Stop acting a twit Nuphor.
    The 26 counties of what we now call Ireland was called after independence The Free State then from 1937 with a constitution Eire and once we became a republic and left the British Empire/Commonwealth Republic Of Ireland in English or Eire in Irish.

When I speak German I say Deutschland, but in English I say Germany!!!

The same is true for every country...includeing Ireland....as it is referred to in the English language!!!

county
    http://alt-usage-english.org/ireland.html
    This country is Ireland and the UK is on the Northern portion of this Island.
    The Rep. of Ireland is used to distinguish between the 2 soccer teams.

Thanks for this, whatever it is.

Yeah....DSL in a lot of the US keep the 4:1 ratio unlike eircoms laughable 16:1 ratio for download/upload speed!!!

3Mbit/768k is pretty common.

Damn it...2Mbit/512k is what we should be getting here.....!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Back in 2001 when i was in the states I had a 5mb/1mb line. It was a Fibre Optic line though (cable). Still its funny to think I cant even get basic broadband now. Sigh.

Yeah was reading up on a US DSL site recently and 15Mbit/2Mbit is becoming the stand Fibre package.

Realistically...Fibre will, when introduced here in 2010(haha!!), only ever be in Dublin and other major cities.
    Makes me sick!!!

Advertisement