Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows ME - Internet Connection

• 21-06-2005 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey,

I recently had to format my computer and reinstall my OS. Before this I had a broadband internet connection. Now when i try to access the net a "cannot find..." box appears.

I followed the written guides given to me by the broadband providers, and having no success with them.

The instructions are:

1.Go to Start----Settings----Control Panel

2.Open Network Window here by clicking the "Network and Dial-Up Connection"
    It is here where i run into problems.....
    (The only thing in Control Panel on my computer,that resembles this, is Dial-Up-Networkng...so i click)

3.It tells me then to right click the "Local Area Connection" icon, and select properties.
    (The only thing here at this stage,in Dial-Up-Networking, is Make New Connection)

4.The rest of the steps are fine.......

Does ayone know how to seup a local area connection so i can continue the steps and setup my broadband connection?

Thanks in advance!

DuFF-MAN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Is the Broadband router connected through USB or ethernet (LAN)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭DuFF-MAN

I think its connected through ethernet.

There is a wire connecting from the wireless modem on the roof, this connects straight to a network adaptor. This is then connected to the back of my PC.

If it is connected via USB such as this,
    http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/lifestyle/2001/lUSBPlug.jpeg
    then you will have to use the disc that came with the router to set it up.

If with Ethernet, then check to make sure the Lan light is on, on the router.
    Of not then unplug the ethernet cable, switch the power off then on, on the router, then plug it back in. You should see the the LAN light come on and the connection wizard may appear.

Also check that the Lan Drivers have been installed. Your motherboard disck will contain these

If the LAN light is on, then open Internet options in the control panel - click on the connections tab, then choose never dial a connection. Then open IE. You should be online.

What is the Make and model of the router, if the above does not work

I dont think i have a router.

We had to install a modem/disk inside, the back of our computer. It is here where the ethernet is connected. It is definatly not connected through USB. Its like a wider version of the plug of a telephone cable.

At the back of our computer there is a small green light when the cable is plugged in.

I tried what you said, still says "cannot find etc."

If you installed an internal Broadband ADSL Modem, then you will have to install the drivers from the CD that came with it.

• Advertisement

Okay odie,

ill have a look. Thanks for your help! Ill post later on to let ye know how i got on.

Hey,

I got it back online! Instead of doing this:

1.Go to Start----Settings----Control Panel

2.Open Network Window here by clicking the "Network and Dial-Up Connection"

etc.

I went to My Network Places,on the desktop, and continued on with the instructions.

Works like a charm!:)

Advertisement