Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re: Sharing Free Wireless Broadband

• 21-06-2005 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Im in the middle of laois and have a good 16mb satellite connection, been using it for a while now and have loads of bandwith to spare! At the moment i only have an old 3 com AP in the 2.4 range with 5 pcz connected and a network storage server with 160gb of movies, music, videos, ebooks and a lot of software and other stuff, with my bb been one way i can't use my ftp server so i can;t shate as easy as i'd like so im thinking a wlan upgrade might be the answer, but how to broadcast with a meaningfull signal, safely, cheaply and make contact with othe like minded people.
    After a lot of reading and surfing i found a site http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.html that gave me an idea based some what on the pringles/coffye tin theory only this time with a DIY satellite dish and empty can to replace the lnb with a broadcast signal of over 10miles even with 802.11b hardware, im bored with what im doing with the hardware that i have when i know its capable of so much more plus you learn by doing, especially when it comes to networks and computers.......... www.irishwan.org

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

OK, first off, you'd better delete the Warez info. Tis against the charter.

Second, you will need to have line of sight to each person, otherwise you won't get more than a hundred meters with your network. Those pringles cantennaes are notoriously hard to get working reliably over any sort of distance in Ireland. If you live on a very high site, you may have LOS with a few people who want to connect to you. However, you will need an external antenae for this. A sector, omni, yagi, or parabolic depending on the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    OK, first off, you'd better delete the Warez info. Tis against the charter.
    it might be legitimately backed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Those pringles cantennaes are notoriously hard to get working reliably over any sort of distance in Ireland.

True, but there are several coffee-can antenna's in perfect operation around the place, apparently it's a better shape and length than the pringles cans :)

The problem with using a setup like you've described is that you'll probably only be able to hook up to 1 person (unless there's a few people in a direct line from you..). For this an idea might be to get a nice big omni-directional, from www.fab-corp.com or www.wi-pipe.com (first one is slightly cheaper, second one is irish), plonk it onto your roof hooked into a wireless card in a router, and let other people point their directional or parabolic antennae at you.

I think that makes sense, but it's late.
    Fobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

on that site you can buy one with 60km range. That would easily cover most of laois and a bit of offaly. I assume that you are living near Portlaoise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Jakkass wrote:
    on that site you can buy one with 60km range.

Though this is true of the antennae, it is not possible to run one of these "properly" here. In Ireland we're limited to 100mW or 20dBm of power, so you'd need to seriously limit the power in one of those, making it a waste of money. In irishwan the trend is to buy antenna's bigger than the one technically needed, then limit the power on it, as this has proved to work better than buying a less-powerful antenna and running it on full power.

I think that's a bit off topic though...

• Advertisement

Yes, the coffee can is better by far, in my opinion, but it still wont sovle the issue.
    To achieve a decent wireless link at any sort of distance, you need LOS. (using unlicensed hardware)

"160gb of movies, music, videos, ebooks and a lot of software and other stuff,"

Dont delude yourself, this is warez. ;)

***EDIT
    those coffee cans are very hard to get in Ireland.
    I'm going to the states net week, If anyone wants me to bring one back for them, just ask! :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jakkass wrote:
    on that site you can buy one with 60km range. That would easily cover most of laois and a bit of offaly.
    Nope. It's theoretically possible to do 60km point-to-point licence-free, but probably not legally. It's certainly not possible to cover a wide area over that distance. Omnis have a much shorter range than directionals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Aidan Sinnott

Stupid question first, i can't find the edit button to take the link from my orignal post, so maybe you will lead me by the hand?
    As for my site/harddrive having anything to do with WAREZ is just pure and typical irishness and a little paranoia on your behalf and a little slanders i might also add.
    My aim was, has and is to expliot the wireless technolgy that i have and to SHARE what i have collected over the last ten yrs or so which is what makes the Internet what it is-was! 50% of what i have i put there myself at a lot of expence and time! Skydigi box+, Dvd recorder, cds that i have bought over the years and various other bits, so screw you, and ban or kick me from this board if you don't like what your reading.
    Now back to wireless! i bought myself a soldering iron some solder and flux since i first posted here last week and have had varying degrees of success with DIY anteans all of which worked but did not extend coverage or recieve any better than the access point or wlan card(pcmcia) but they all in principal worked which gives me hope of future endeavours, the coffye tin workes but is very much directional i even tryed an old modifyed rte arieal and got a little success even though from my understanding tv arieals work in the 4 to 10ghz range, the satellite dish theory depends on having a dish located else where so thats on hold, but i did have a little more success with a modified cats ears set soldered to a modified wlan card belive it or not, wasn't ground breaking but the directional anteans just cryed out to be tested.

Ps.
    Server: aidansinnott.no-ip.info
    Login: ftpserver
    Pass: access

To prove it ain't warez.....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

My aim was, has and is to expliot the wireless technolgy that i have and to SHARE what i have collected over the last ten yrs or so which is what makes the Internet what it is-was! 50% of what i have i put there myself at a lot of expence and time! Skydigi box+, Dvd recorder, cds that i have bought over the years and various other bits
    You've recorded TV programs from Sky and ripped your CDs, and now you're offering to share these with others. And you don't see a problem with that?
    ...from my understanding tv arieals work in the 4 to 10ghz range
    I think you need to reassess your "understanding".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

So what SAT BroardBand are you using as i'm in the middle of no where and want to see about getting one set-up without it costing the earth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

You have a 16Mbit connection......NICE!!!!!

The last time I got speeds like that was when I was in college.

How much is it a month anyway for this unidirectional service??

No i do not see a problem with what im doing "GOD"
    I paid my money and im gona get usage out if it, the same branded hardware that i have .ie sony. phillips, samsung and others are on the one hand suing people and with the other giveing them the means by which to break the law! call it stealing or what ever you want to call it but i don't give a dam about the poor billion dollar industry that have had it all there own way for decades, i could go on and on and on but i couldn't be arsed....

Been with them a while now and have had no problems with the services, im on the 59.99 a month package but they start at 9.99 and with installiation/Hardware costs running at just 129.99 for a usb/laptop set up or a little less for a DVB pci/pc set up who would complain, theres a little getting to know the whole setup cos you can change gears for higher speeds but at a cost per mb and the software package thats supplied runs a proxy server in the backround which at times can be a pain when on a Lan but no real problems and ICS comes with the software, one click and its sharing no need to run ics or set ur nic to 192.168.0.1. Hope you get some joy!

This service is one way and does require the use of ur phone line in order to set up a connection with there servers.
    But with utv or sombody like that make sure and get the 180hrs any time package cos you will use the hrs up i can assure you

I paid my money and im gona get usage out if it, the same branded hardware that i have .ie sony. phillips, samsung and others are on the one hand suing people and with the other giveing them the means by which to break the law! call it stealing or what ever you want to call it but i don't give a dam about the poor billion dollar industry that have had it all there own way for decades, i could go on and on and on but i couldn't be arsed....
    The Abused become the abuser (ISRAEL)

network storage server with 160gb of movies, music, videos, ebooks and a lot of software and other stuff

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Dont delude yourself, this is warez
    Originally Posted by Aidan Sinnott

By this logic, anyone who buys a gun/car has the right to kill people with it. "hey, they gave me the means to do it!"

Neither samsung nor philips have sued anyone for copyright infringement.
    They provide you with a reciever to use your satellite internet connection, not a license to download as much warez as you can.
    ---
    It *is* stealing. Not stealing property or other tangible asset, but theft of the intellectual rights of the actor/musician/etc.
    ---
    On the one hand you deny having "warez"
    On the other you admit to it.
    ---
    /me wanders off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement