Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M3 ~1990's

Options
  • 21-06-2005 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi, my friend wants to import a BMW M3 from the Uk around mis 90's reg and he's a bit computer illiterate so hes sent me to gather up some info on them such as anything in paticular to look out for faults etc., anyone got one or got opinions on them and whats the typical value of them both in the UK and here.
    Just general info on the car really is what we are after he got his mind pretty set on one so just doing his homework for him,
    thankslads

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Generally people here will try and put your mate off from buying something as spectacular as an m3 and say how better their alfa/focus/rover is, oh and how economical their toyota yaris / daewoo matiz are.

Check out www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/forum you will get some good helpful advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

my bro did the exact same thing only three months ago. things to look out for:

1) FULL service history. expect nothing else.
    2) dont go for the 3.2 M3 evo, it's a different beast and repairs/servicing will bankrupt you
    3) Vanos timing. rev the car slightly and if you hear a whooping noise along with some unevenness in the revs then you've more than likely got a problem with the vanos unit. these are expensive.
    4) obviously pay the 100quid and get a VIN check
    5) tyres: this car eats them for breakfast. if you drive like my brother expect a new set every thousand miles! p-zeros are not cheap!

go for it dude, they're a hoot to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

E30 M3

*droool*

Go for it, they look, drive and sound fantastic!

hmm, this is interesting.... E30 with E36 powerplant ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9837&item=4557249084&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

thats worth nothing as a bastardised car. it probably has serious problems as he says its incomplete. wouldnt touch it with a barge pole tbh.

ah positve as ever Lomb

• Advertisement

ah positve as ever Lomb

dont think id be giving him 15000 euro as an 'experiment' he says its incomplete what does that mean? it means its no good, and its still not an M3. i dont believe him for a second when he says 'id b very happy to c it go to a good home' thats bullsh!t off the bat he couldnt care less if it was crushed he wants the dough for it! so hes lying can u trust anything he says?

heres a better car from autotrader.co.uk

1988 BMW M3 M3 2dr [LHD] Saloon,
    Petrol, 105,000 miles, . Taxed & moted,Freshly rebuilt gearbox with short shift new clutch,new shocks withnew springs all round, new bull joints & bushes,new radiators,new disc & pads,full stainless steel exhaust, thousands spend maintained regardless of costs, lots of history. clean inside out. £5,495. ono.
    Tel: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Distance: 100 miles
    Price: £5,495ono.

dont think id be giving him 15000 euro as an 'experiment' he says its incomplete what does that mean? it means its no good, and its still not an M3. i dont believe him for a second when he says 'id b very happy to c it go to a good home' thats bullsh!t off the bat he couldnt care less if it was crushed he wants the dough for it! so hes lying can u trust anything he says?

depends on what you want really. You'd be mad to buy it without a thourough inspection, but thats true of any car.

Changing the engine of course means its not an original M3 as such, but if you have a few bob I think it would make an interesting project.

, but if you have a few bob I think it would make an interesting project.
    thats true of course but look how much he wants for it against what a real well maintained M3 goes for above.
    its not worth 3 grand and hes looking for 10 stg for it!
    theres no money to b saved buying the love child out of wedlock of an M3 and a normal 3 series. it will never be an M3 and the insurers wont know what it is either. still if u can do it in this country for say 7 grand euro all in ud b laughing, and not a bad idea on your part at all as i know where u are coming from. ie buy a 3 series for nothing, get an M3 engine out of a crashed M3 and interior etc and pay no VRT etc, very good project if i do say so myself :)

Advertisement