Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2MB download issue

• 21-06-2005 10:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences. Believe it or not my problem goes back to the 2MB download rollout from Eircom. Around the time everyone was saying they had it I rang Eircom because I was still on 512. I was slightly concerned because my phone socket is a bit dodgy but I figured I surely would either get no conection or whatever was available. Correct me if I'm wrong. The guy I called said as I was in Rathmines I should have it and to reset the Modem if necessary (I didn't mention my change over to a Netgear Router). I tried switching back to the Netopia and resetting and no joy.
    Anyway I was away for a while and busy at other things so I didn't follow up on it. All of a sudden last weekend I'm on 2MB download. Great except it's gone back down to 512 again. So I'm mystified. Before I ring Eircom I'm just wondering if it is possibly my socket or if anyone knows something I don't seeing as I haven't kept up with current or recent events. I did notice while I had the 2MB that my connection totally stopped if I tried downloading a large file and only a reboot would get it going again.
    Oh and I'm on the plus package.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What does your router say about the quality of your phone line? ATTEN, errors, etc...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well thats the problem. I can't get the router to connect. The indicator flashes yellow a few times but never goes green suggesting no success in connecting. I'm stuck with the netopia which says everything is fine. Upload 544?? I don't know what it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

musician wrote:
    Well thats the problem. I can't get the router to connect. The indicator flashes yellow a few times but never goes green suggesting no success in connecting. I'm stuck with the netopia which says everything is fine. Upload 544?? I don't know what it means.
    Ok what you do is try it on a different socket in the house. Unplug EVERY other phone in the house. Then Try connecting again and let me know what happens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Only one socket. Bachelor pad :) Phone has not been connected for a while. I originally had a nice dsl splitter that took phone and dsl lines but now I only have filters with one connection so I just connect my dsl line to it. I sent an email to Eircom and I'll give them a ring if I have to. The socket must be dodgy. Only explanation I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Right then check your line quality by going into your router control panel etc...

As I use BT BB I dont know how to go about checking Netopia line quality and such but Im sure someone here will help you out on that.

• Advertisement

Access the router page then goto:
    expert mode > press ok > troubleshoot > system status.
    Beside DSL click on statistics and post them here.
    Do the same for Circuit Configuration beside DSL.

Are you sure it is a dsl data splitter you are using or is it a a dsl phone splitter. Usually the DSL data splitter comes with two sockets on it - one for phone and one for data. The single splitters are usually just for phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

if youve nothing else connected,
    dont bother with filters.

Good point Chalk the filter is only required to separate the frequencies which carry voice/ from data.

If you dont have a phone then no need for a possible faulty filter.

Mr Belkin is a bit of a lazy bollox...eh?

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll post tomorrow with results. The filter I am using could well be the problem. When I got the netopia from Eircom I got the dual one (for phone and dsl) and 2 single ones (one of which I am now using) which are perhaps for phone (fingers crossed this is the problem). It would be handy to get a replacement for the dual filter so I could have the phone line in use. Anyone know where you can get one?

• Advertisement

maplin

Ok thanks folks. It was the filter. Plugged line in direct and hey presto. I'm off to pretend I'm not an idiot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

musician wrote:
    Ok thanks folks. It was the filter. Plugged line in direct and hey presto. I'm off to pretend I'm not an idiot.

Be kinder to yourself:) Idiots rarely seek help - you did and solved your problem
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

musician wrote:
    The filter I am using could well be the problem. When I got the netopia from Eircom I got the dual one (for phone and dsl) and 2 single ones (one of which I am now using) which are perhaps for phone (fingers crossed this is the problem).
    The single filters are indeed for telephone extensions and block/attenuate adsl frequencies. No wonder you were having problems!
    Get a new splitter (dual one) and you should be back on voice+data.

Advertisement