Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Sim Cards

Options
  • 21-06-2005 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I'm off to France next week, and being the mean old so & so that I am, I refuse to pay roaming charges.

Does anyone know which company provides the best value in "ready to go" sim cards in France?

I have done a google on this but can only get sim and phone rentals.

Merci.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

they are all robbers, sfr are 'ok' u will have to pay for the sim card, and they will cut it if u dont top up every month by 10 euros.
    i reakon o2 99c a minute isnt far off what sfr charge.
    oh and to top up u have to understand french lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Being French myself, I can confirm that the ready to go offers are crap, allmost everybody has contracts in France. Unless you plan to receive a lot of calls I reckon you should just roam with your Irish simcard (I think calling to Ireland with the French prepaid will be around 80 cents/minute, no so far from the roaming rate).

Anyway, here are the different prepaid offers:
    http://www.futur-client.bouyguestelecom.fr/formules/sansengagement/CarteNomadClassic/
    http://www.sfr.fr/FR/info_nouveautes/offres_reseau/tarifs_conditions/carte/offre/
    http://www.orange.fr/0/visiteur/PV?file=offre/mobicarte/pe_mobicarte.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

daylight robbery.... and people think the networks in this country are dear, its a minimum of 180euros a year and the call rates are VERY expensive.

lomb wrote:
    daylight robbery.... and people think the networks in this country are dear, its a minimum of 180euros a year and the call rates are VERY expensive.

Yep, I have to say that mobile phone charges and patatoes are among the rare things that I found to be less expensive here than in France ;) (for exemple my parents have 15 Mbits DSL + unlimited nationnal phone calls + Digital TV over DSL for €30/month).

Mobiles are expensive because there is no real competition: event though they obviously won't admit it publically, the different operators have agreements to keep the prices high.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I guess I will not be buying a ready to go card. I have got roaming switched on on my wifes phone and will use that to receive calls. (if I leave my phone on, I will not have a holiday).

Thank you all again.

Take care

• Advertisement

No problem, enjoy France! (where exactly are you going btw?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The prepay rates in Ireland arn't too bad. I was totally ripped off by Orange in the UK particularly on texts!

Meteor really brought the prepay prices down here in a big way.

Fingers crossed that 3 entering the market will do something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i bought myself an orange sim card for when i travel to england. it is such good value as using my o2 card is a rip off. i can call home for 15p per minute and text message for the same. if i was roaming it would cost me 3 times that amout!

Advertisement