Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satellite broadband ireland

• 21-06-2005 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hey All

Just a question for all you great people out there . I live way out in the country side where i prob will never see broadband.

Just wondering what you all think about satellite broadband . Is it worth the price and would i notice any improvement in my download speeds. My connection at the moment is crap to say the least . Only get 3 kb downloads on a very very good day .

The one i was looking into was www.e3broadband.ie anyone had any experince with this

Chatch you later

Al

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

You would notice a big differance than dial up, but how big a differance depends on which package you go for.

If your planning on playing games the sat BB is terrible but for normal downloading and browsing it would be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

Last year we put in a Digiweb satellite connection. Download speeds were a big improvement on our previous ISDN setup. We had the 512/128 connection.

However we have since disconnected it since we were able to use Irish Broadband which began well for the first month but has since degraded to Digiweb speeds.

Anyway if it is of any interest we have a spare Digiweb box which they did not want back lying around gathering dust. The dish they put up is larger than the standard Sky Digital and we are trying to make use of it for satellite tv. I think they use the smaller size on their installations now.

Be warned however that it is very addictive once you start having better download speeds and it never seems fast enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Aidan Sinnott

I agree with the last post in that the more you get the more you want! it's never fast enough, i moved down to the middle of laois, and eircom been what they are have me on a carrier line whaich means the signal is split with whoever is on the same lane as me which has jumped by 4 new houses and 3 more to go up so i can just about connect which is all they have to do according to conreg. As a result and after 2 years or so of shopping around i found an english company based in ireland, that get there bandwith from a german company, based in switzerland with a very good range of packages starting at 9.99 for a 1mb one way which is what i started on but have changed four times so now im on a 16mb 59.95 package pm, but best of all is installation and hardware costs .ie Dvb card, or usb box for a laptop, Dish (same as sky) and Lnb, all for 129.99, was up and running within 1 week of ordering it and it only took an hour or so to install it! contention rates run at about 15:1, forget irish satellite companys like digiweb chargeing something like 700euro for there hardware, and there packages are rubbish ..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Check out these two posts here and here you can read up on my own exploits with Euroskynet i am on their Skydsl Classic 1 Package at 1MBps for €6.90 and 1.5cent for every MB you download, They have other packages available too. They are the best i think the only downside is your Sky digital dish won't do (if you have one that is) You analogue dish will only point it at Telecom 2D at 8 Degrees west, As you will se in my above links it is fairly easy to get only follow the guidelines i gave. They are good and i never had any problems yet this last month !

Regards netwhizkid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

I agree with the last post in that the more you get the more you want! it's never fast enough, i moved down to the middle of laois, and eircom been what they are have me on a carrier line whaich means the signal is split with whoever is on the same lane as me which has jumped by 4 new houses and 3 more to go up so i can just about connect which is all they have to do according to conreg. As a result and after 2 years or so of shopping around i found an english company based in ireland, that get there bandwith from a german company, based in switzerland with a very good range of packages starting at 9.99 for a 1mb one way which is what i started on but have changed four times so now im on a 16mb 59.95 package pm, but best of all is installation and hardware costs .ie Dvb card, or usb box for a laptop, Dish (same as sky) and Lnb, all for 129.99, was up and running within 1 week of ordering it and it only took an hour or so to install it! contention rates run at about 15:1, forget irish satellite companys like digiweb chargeing something like 700euro for there hardware, and there packages are rubbish ..................
    Hi.
    That sounded like great info, only you did not give any links. ?
    Can you add a link for us to check it out. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 country_guy

Hi all....new to all this, but I'm living about 40miles from Dublin and wanted Broadband, mobile 3G is no use for what I want....i.e. Broadband so I was forced to get Satellite, seem to be only a few players in the market, Satellite Broadband Ireland & NBB. AFter I talked with the both of them, I chose Satellite Broadband Ireland mainly 'cos of price and they were professional e.g. they knew what they were talking about and were responsive...have it now a few weeks and the speeds are good and consistant, 2Mbit/s and 256kbit upload....Hear now that NBB are gone...phew did I make the right call...!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

a thread thats almost three years old, LOCKED!

also country_guy give it a rest with the shilling!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement