Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA testing?

Options
  • 22-06-2005 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Should all immigrants be DNA tested before they come into the country? Yesterday a Pakistani was jailed for 15 years for the rape and violent attack of 3 women in Dublin. He travelled from Mayo to carry out the attacks so he could easily have gotten away with it as some do. It would make the Gardai's job easier if they were DNA tested.

Not only DNA but fingerprints etc should be used. I'm not in favour of a big brother state but I think it's OK if they are not from the EU.

Also for things like the fake passport scandal which is out of control.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

KnowItAll wrote:
    Should all immigrants be DNA tested before they come into the country?
    No.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    Yesterday a Pakistani was jailed for 15 years for the rape and violent attack of 3 women in Dublin. He travelled from Mayo to carry out the attacks so he could easily have gotten away with it as some do. It would make the Gardai's job easier if they were DNA tested.
    What is it about the fact that he was a foreign national that prompts this suggestion? Why should there be a greater emphasis on catching foreign rapists than Irish (or, for that matter, EU) rapists?
    KnowItAll wrote:
    Passports have DNA information on them now? /checks passport... nope, didn't think so.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    Not only DNA but fingerprints etc should be used. I'm not in favour of a big brother state but I think it's OK if they are not from the EU.
    Because all rapes and other violent crimes in Ireland are committed by non-EU nationals, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

oscarBravo wrote:
    Passports have DNA information on them now? /checks passport... nope, didn't think so.

Did I say that /checks thread... nope, don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

KnowItAll wrote:
    Should all immigrants be DNA tested before they come into the country? Yesterday a Pakistani was jailed for 15 years for the rape and violent attack of 3 women in Dublin. He travelled from Mayo to carry out the attacks so he could easily have gotten away with it as some do. It would make the Gardai's job easier if they were DNA tested.

Last edited by KnowItAll : Today at 01:20.

What did you edit in your OP before you replied at 01:23?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Why exactly would you only build the database from non-EU immigrants? People from the EU are just as likely to commit crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

You could only ever do that if the there already was a full database of the DNA of every single resident of this island. Not just Irish citizens but every UK citizen, because UK and Irish citizens don't need a passport to travel to each other's country. As travel between EU countries gets easier, this DNA database would have to encompass the DNA of every single citizen of the EU.
    Once all that was done, then and only then could you expect immigrants have their DNA on such a database.

Never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

KnowItAll wrote:
    Should all immigrants be

I stopped reading here. THe answer is no.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pfft...

Everyone knows the police really don't do anything unless you're already on a murder spree, so what's the bother? Young Anto could plow the car he just nicked into Pearse Street station and he'd just get a slap on the wrist. The law in this country needs a serious dose of cop on, and I don't see how fingerprinting and DNA Testing immigrants is going to help the situation at all, because the cops really just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I was amused by the news the last night when they had a guest in talking about the immigration situation before they turned to this news story about a 'very dangerous' foreign national. That amusement isn't going to aid this thread staying open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement