Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best & Worst Cartoon

• 22-06-2005 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I came home from work recently (last week sometime) at 09:00 am turned on the television while i sipped a tea and ate something to see what probably was the cartoon i have least enjoyed in my whole life- I decided to give it a chance so i wasnt dimissing it without a trial but dammit it just got worse and worse avoid at all costs.

The worst Cartoon ever in my opinion, its on the den i think. Oh its bad.

Totally Spies.

My favourite cartoon ever ummm..... I'd say the original Transformers series.
    Freaking superb!!!

Any takers??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

List of Best

The Simpsons
    Wren and Stimpy
    Family Guy
    King of the Hill
    Edd, Ed and Eddie
    Tom and Gerry

List of the Worst
    Southpark
    Power Puff Girls
    Garfield
    Itchy and Scratchy

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

Trust me, if you put on that show i was talking about above you'll have a new entry in the worst list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

BEST
    Family guy
    South park
    M.a.s.k
    Transformers

Worst
    anything on Cartoon network
    scooby doo
    Simpsons
    King of the Hill
    Edd, Ed and Eddie
    Tom and Gerry
    ect,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Best
    The Simpsons
    Ren and Stimpey
    Southpark
    Monkey Dust
    Dexter's Laboratory
    I am Weasel

Worst
    Family Guy
    Yu-gi-o or however you spell it
    Animals of Farthing Wood
    Totally Spies
    Tom and Jerry Kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Best:
    Family Guy, American Dad, The Tick, Johnny Bravo, to mention but a few that I can think of right now.

Worst:
    Kids cartoons like Totally Spies, Dextor, Spongebob, and just about everythin else on Nick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Best:
    Family Guy, Futurama, Samurai Jack, Fairly odd Parents, American Dad, Johnny Bravo, Sponge Bob, A lot of the old Bugs Bunny & Daffy Duck types, Simpsons, The old Tom & Jerry, Batman, Justice League, Superman, Recess.

Worst:
    Martin Mystery(sp?) beat totally spies hands down although they appear on the list.
    Totally Spies, Pokemon, Digimon, Totally spies, BeyBlade, Josie and the Pussycats, Tom and Jerry Kids, and those seventies Tom and Jerry cartoons that were truely atrocious, Super Duper Sumos and Samurai Pizza Cats, the rest I'm afraid I've blocked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

How could no one mention Earthworm Jim!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Best: Earthworm jim, Family guy, Teenage mutant ninja turtles{ Bad but good :) } Could write along list,,, Oooo almost forgot Visionairies{That Rocked}.

Worst: Farther of the pride, The Pj's, Season 10+simpsons, cartoon network+nick cartoons, Beast Masters.

Special Note: Mask- the bits at te end like not Reading or writing in the DArk... So Cheesey you gotta love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I, however enjoy all cartoons except for Beyblade, Digimon....er thats it really

Damn I watch waaay to much animation and I love them all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I can't believe people are so dismissive of the Cartoon Network shows.

I think people are remembering the cartoons from their childhood with rose tinted glasses on. I've gotten some of the cartoons I loved as a kid on DVD and they're pretty rubbish when compared to the quality of the writing and animation in kids cartoons these days.

Power Puff Girls, Samurai Jack, Dextar's Lab, Teen Titans, Clone Wars, Justice League Unlimited are all great.

And a fairly recent one from the Cartoon Network is one of my all time favourite cartoons now. I just got the first 2 seasons on DVD, and that is Home Movies. It's about 3 eight year olds who make art movies in their basement.

Oh... and yes, Totally Spies is rubbish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I can't believe people are so dismissive of the Cartoon Network shows.

I think people are remembering the cartoons from their childhood with rose tinted glasses on. I've gotten some of the cartoons I loved as a kid on DVD and they're pretty rubbish when compared to the quality of the writing and animation in kids cartoons these days.

Power Puff Girls, Samurai Jack, Dextar's Lab, Teen Titans, Clone Wars, Justice League Unlimited are all great.

And a fairly recent one from the Cartoon Network is one of my all time favourite cartoons now. I just got the first 2 seasons on DVD, and that is Home Movies. It's about 3 eight year olds who make art movies in their basement.

Oh... and yes, Totally Spies is rubbish...

I think Clone Wars and Justice League are on toonami...it may be a part of it,but people were referring to the basic cartoon network,which pretty much sucks...except maybe Johnny Bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Best:

Futurama
    Batman: The Animated Series
    South Park
    Spongebob
    Cow and Chicken
    I am Weasel
    Dextor's Lab
    Earthworm Jim (I remember getting an action figure of the dog that transformed into some sort of monster. He was cool.)
    Hong Kong Phooey
    Teenage Mutant Ninja (Hero?) Turtles

Worst:
    The Simpsons (later episodes anyway. I'm not sure if I've seen the earlier episodes as I was young, about 1 or 2, when it started. Never been a fan of it, anyway.)
    Ren and Stimpy
    Family Guy (okay in the first run through. But it's all about the shocks, so it loses pretty much all of its appeal on the second viewings.)
    Johnny Bravo
    Ed, Edd and Eddy

I don't really know what the worst are, because I never watched the things I didn't like much.

Also, I'm just going by what I liked when I was younger. With a few recent additions thrown in.

tvnutz wrote:
    I think Clone Wars and Justice League are on toonami...it may be a part of it,but people were referring to the basic cartoon network,which pretty much sucks...except maybe Johnny Bravo.
    Toonami used to be a section of Cartoon Network. Then they did CNX which tried to be a more grown up version of Cartoon Network and it showed live action television shows and lots of anime. It failed though, I'd say mostly because it was buried in the far end of the 200's on Sky Digital in between Babestation channels.

Then they launched Toonami in the proper kids section of Sky Digital and transplanted most of the Cartoon Network's better shows over to it.

Just looking at the Cartoon Network's line up right now. It's pretty rubbish alright. Xiaolin Showdown, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Time Squad, Ned's Newt, Codename Kids Next Door... I find them all to be pretty weak shows. Looks like Power Puff Girls and Dexter's Lab are about the only decent shows left on it now.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Best:
    Simpsons
    Tom & Jerry
    Top Cat
    South Park
    Mysterious Cities of Gold

Worst:
    Powerpuff Girls
    Most of the newer animations on CN as already mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

Best:
    Samurai Jack
    Invader Zim
    Justice League
    Roadrunner cartoons
    'Classic' Tom and Jerry
    Pinky and the Brain

Worst:
    Tom and Jerry kids
    Dragonball (whatever)
    Those Czech/Canadian/Other cartoons RTE used to show late 70's and 80's.

I also quite like Megas XLR and Teen Titans (ok, I like cartoons :D )

Best:

Family Guy,
    South Park
    Futurama,
    Simpsons
    Fairly odd Parents
    American Dad
    Pinky & The Brain
    Earthworn Jim
    Sponge Bob
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Looney Toons
    Dextor's Lab
    I am weasel
    Hey Arnold
    The Angry Beavers
    And Doug of course!

Worst:

Dragonball Z
    Pokemon
    Digimon
    Powerpuff Girls
    All Grown Up
    Rugrats
    The Pjs
    Transformers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

BEST...

Bravestarr
    M.A.S.K
    Ulysees
    Mysterious cities of gold
    Voltron
    Earthworm Jim (way ahead of its time)
    David the Knome
    C.O.P.S

WORST...

Captin Planet
    Tin Tin
    Care Bares
    Sylvainian families
    Johnny Quest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Best:

Family Guy
    American Dad
    Johnny Bravo
    Futurama

Worst:

The Simpsons (new ones are the worst crap on tv,old ones just aint funny anymore,whereas family guy is funny everytime you watch it).
    PowerPuff Girls
    That retarded thing witht the two asian girls,puffiamipufficrapy..whatever
    most of cartoon network stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Just off the top of my head...

Favourite:
    » Transformers (The old one, from maybe 14+ years ago)
    » Family Guy
    » Spiderman (not the crappy new one)
    » X-Men (ditto)
    » Southpark
    » Dilbert (made me chuckle when I was younger)

Least Favourite:
    » Any of the new remakes of old cartoons, Spiderman, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, X-Men

But the old Spider-man cartoon was awful. The only thing it had going for it was the theme tune.

The one from the 90's was a bit ropey at times (The Hob Goblin being introduced before the the Green Goblin???) But they did a good job of capturing the huge story arcs from the comics.

There was a pretty terrible one that came after that based on an Alternate Earth that was ruled by animal men. And Spider-man used tiny nano-bots to put on his suit.

The most recent one was the Cel-shaded CGI one that MTV did... which wasn't too bad, the writing was pretty good.

One thing I love doing lately is watching the really bad super hero cartoons from the 70's on TG4. They have Batman, Fantastic Four and the Justice League of America. It's pretty damn funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

best:
    Family Guy
    The Simpsons
    South Park
    Spongebob Squarepants
    The Powerpuff Girls
    Count Duckula
    Victor&Hugo
    Tiny Toons
    the critic
    animaniacs
    dexters lab

Worst:
    Any of that japanese sh!te like pokemon/yu gi oh
    Tom&Jerry
    new batman/spiderman
    ren&stimpy

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

I like most cartoons but saw this one day on the den and nearly threw the remote at the tv. 'Super Duper Sumos' (or something like that) on the den. It's a new cartoon that looks like it was made in the 80's and they repeat the same scene again and again.
    Futurama is the best along with the old warner bros. cartoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

The best :
    Batman
    southpark
    familyguy
    angry beavers
    samurai jack
    Duckman (anyone else remember this it was voiced by jason alexander of Seinfeld ) excellent!
    3 friends and gerry

The worst:
    brothers grimm ( i think its on bbc)
    tom & jerrykids
    digimon
    card captors
    inspector gadget both old and new
    any disney movie

There's a new Batman cartoon starting next monday on Toonami.

It's simply called "The Batman"

I think it's supposed to be about a slighly younger Batman. But it looks pretty terrible. They don't even have Kevin Conroy doing the voice.

At least I still have Justice League Unlimited to get my Batman fix. It's got a nice little arc storyline going on and a blossoming romance between Batman and Wonderwoman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Best.
    South Park
    Family Guy
    Futurama
    The old Simpsons
    Spongebob
    Earthworm Jim <havent seen this in years tho>

Worst.
    New Simpsons
    Yu-ghi-oh
    Pokemon
    Digimon
    Angry Beavers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Best.

South park
    Family Guy
    Futurama
    Old Simpsons

Worst

New Simpsons (anything is better than watching this tripe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Best:
    Futurama
    (Old) Simpsons
    Family Guy
    Samurai Jack
    South Park

Worst:
    (New) Simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

Just out of curiousity, do they not show the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim cartoons such as Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, The Brak Show, Tom Goes to the Mayor, or Robot Chicken on your cable/satellite system (I'm a yank, btw)? I realise these cartoons are not everyone's cup of tea, but they should be right up the alley of anyone who is a fan of Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, or the old Simpsons.

Just out of curiousity, do they not show the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim cartoons such as Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, The Brak Show, Tom Goes to the Mayor, or Robot Chicken on your cable/satellite system (I'm a yank, btw)? I realise these cartoons are not everyone's cup of tea, but they should be right up the alley of anyone who is a fan of Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, or the old Simpsons.
    There was a channel called CNX that used to. But it's gone now.

I used to like Harvey Birdman and Home Movies the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

Yeah, I forgot to mention Harvey Birdman. It, like Aqua Teen, Sealab, and the Brak Show are all productions of Williams Street productions. Being from Atlanta (where these cartoons are made) perhaps I'm a bit biased, but they've always been my favorites. They're all spin-offs one way or another of Space Ghost Coast to Coast. To be honest though, now that these cartoons are in their second or third seasons, they're slipping big time. Home Movies is hilarious too, but they quit making new episodes of that years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I can't believe noones mentioned Daria. It's so s**t

Advertisement