Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you cycle to work ?

• 22-06-2005 8:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

2 quick question ?
    Do many of you on here cycle to work ?
    And if so how many miles/km's do you cycle (all round trip)?

Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Yes, I do in the summer.

22 miles roundtrip, Bray to city center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

No - I walk to work, and it's about six km round trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Yes, everyday for a few years now.
    Currently the distance is only about 8-10 km round trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

yup - 15 miles roundtrip... Foxrock to D8.

-mem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah, bout 8k's round trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

Just starting to do so... about 12 miles round trip. I love it! Starting the day with an endorphin kick is pretty great... although cycling in Dublin truly is a survival sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

I use to cycle for over 5 years from Artane to Ballsbridge on weekdays. I loved it as it was farquicker than driving or getting the bus and it kept me on the fit side. That was untill I had enough after my 4th time I was hit by a car and shattered my wrist. :( . Sad really as I miss it, but I value my life first. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

ciaran76 wrote:
    And if so how many miles/km's do you cycle (all round trip)?Ciaran
    Yes.
    22km round trip, takes about 35 minutes each way, North Dublin 'burbs to City-Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

ciaran76 wrote:

I cycle everywhere. I'm out of work at the moment so I don't do the Parkwest run anymore, but I'm still doing the other trips fairly regularly.

Sandyford to City Center: about 16 km round trip, about 15-35 mins each way.
    Sandyford to Coolock; about 32 km round trip, about 40-50 mins each way.
    Sandyford to Dun Laoghaire; about 16 km round trip, about 15-35 mins each way.
    Sandyford to Parkwest; about 28 km round trip, about 35-45 mins each way.

I also tend to do trips like home - work, work - citycenter - home which aren't too bad as long as your able to stop at each destination for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mucco

12.5km e.w. daily.
    30 mins usually.
    25 on a very good day!

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not sure as I'm crap at estimating distances but it takes me about 40 mins to walk to work, 10 mins max to cycle. That's what, 4 miles? Same coming home. Nice little cycle. Much better than when I used to get the bus and I'd spent more time waiting for the bus than sitting on it.

I'm living in Mulhuddart at the moment and use the bike to travel all the way round Blanchardstown and Castleknock when I'm going places. I love it. I used to have a bike for getting round all the time the year before last when I lived in Fairview and anytime I was visiting people in places like Ranelagh and Rathmines I'd cycle there rather than getting two buses. It's like having the freedom of a car without the downsides.

I missed the bike so much when I was down in Cork again and had to spend an hour each day waiting/riding the bus to travel 4 miles to college. Cork is absolutely lethal for cyclists, 100 times worse than Dublin so no way was the bike an option. The real kick is that the city council could have easily made a cycle route when they were redoing all the roads and footpaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

(Amsterdam) 10 minutes at a very relaxed pace, door to door, segregated cycle path all the way except for one narrow bridge.

Or (at other office) 10 minute cycle to train station for the metro line. (sometimes take bike on metro if i want to cycle at other end).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

27.5 km round trip, have an off the road cycle lane for most of it. Been doing it for 2 months now and it's great. Not sure if I will keep it up in the depths of winter though

Depending on wind, it can take from 25 mins to 40 mins (one way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

ciaran76 wrote:
    Hi all,

2 quick question ?

Ciaran

Thanks all for the replies. I was thinking of going to work from Blanchardstown to Swords everyday during the good weather but wasn't sure if it was safe enough and how long it would take.

Might try it out on Sat. see how long it takes. And see how good/bad i feel after it !!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

arrietty wrote:
    although cycling in Dublin truly is a survival sport.

So so true. Anyone else think Pearse street in rush hour is by far the worst. The Bus lane seems to turn into a "how close can my mirror get to your arse contest" by the taxi drivers who overtake you.

BTW I cycle everywhere as well. Nothing better than jumping on the auld bike and heading out to Howth or Bray. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I cycle everyday about 6km round trip I guess.

Cycle lane pretty much all the way. It would be nice if I could use it but the cars driving in and parking in drive me insane.
    Drivers hate cyclists and it is what will eventually stop me. Had a car nudge me intentionally while at lights once and that was really close to the final straw. I am actually think it's a matter of time before a driver attacks me.

I cycle everyday about 6km round trip I guess.

Cycle lane pretty much all the way. It would be nice if I could use it but the cars driving in and parking in drive me insane.
    Drivers hate cyclists and it is what will eventually stop me. Had a car nudge me intentionally while at lights once and that was really close to the final straw. I am actually think it's a matter of time before a driver attacks me.

I've considered modifiying some sort of mount across the bar to clasp a stick (of undetermined material), so that's it's within easy reach; and should some offending motorist warrant, i could quickly arm myself with this stick and well...you get the picture.
    But the reason i haven't done this yet is because if i had such a tool available, i would surely use it.
    Maybe consider getting one of those bike horns, i understand they can be quite loud. Besides motorists are quick to audibly assault other motorists, cyclists, pedestrians. Maybe we should too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Sounds like familair alright. I usually get the blasting of the horn cause I'm too far out from the kerb. What they fail to realise is I'm doing so they don't overtake me when there's feck all room and almost kill me.

jman0 wrote:
    I've considered modifiying some sort of mount across the bar to clasp a stick (of undetermined material), so that's it's within easy reach; and should some offending motorist warrant, i could quickly arm myself with this stick and well...you get the picture.
    But the reason i haven't done this yet is because if i had such a tool available, i would surely use it.etc...
    The lock on my bike is easy to grab is the way I look at it. I really thought of getting stickers with "your parking puts my life in danger!" and putting them on the cars in the cycle lane. It is a bit of an aggressive tactic which might cause real trouble so I talk myself out of it. :confused:
    Drivers are just getting really aggresive and to an extent I feel sorry for them.

Had a nice motorist slow down and stop in the middle of the road for me when he saw me sitting there with my arm in the stretched out right position (I hadn't moved to the centre of the road in time). I was thinking "ah, there is hope for the world after all" until I was nearly killed by a motorist who left-overtook the both of us at high speed.

Oh and yes, I know that's why when you take driving lessons, they teach you never to wave/flash someone through as you're taking responsibility then for what other motorists do. But for 3 seconds it was, "raindrops, lollipops, sunshine and *splat*" :)

• Advertisement

I really thought of getting stickers with "your parking puts my life in danger!" and putting them on the cars in the cycle lane. It is a bit of an aggressive tactic which might cause real trouble so I talk myself out of it.

trouble if you get caught ;)

Where I work, both drivers and cyclists have to swipe past the barrier every morning. It's completely rediculous making cyclists do it, as pedestrians and people travelling on Dublin Bus don't need to, and they could far more easily steal stuff than a cyclist could. But that's just the company's stupid security policies that are completely anal retentive and don't make sense. Back on topic, I've been nudged once or twice by a car behind me in the swipe queue. Next time I have to take down the licence plate number and report whoever does it to management. That should take them down a peg. The security cameras are on us constantly as well, so evidence wouldn't be a problem.

I really thought of getting stickers with "your parking puts my life in danger!" and putting them on the cars in the cycle lane. It is a bit of an aggressive tactic which might cause real trouble so I talk myself out of it.
    Drivers are just getting really aggresive and to an extent I feel sorry for them.
    Stark wrote:
    trouble if you get caught ;)

No, I really like that idea. How about flyers that you could just slide under their wipers? I think a lot of drivers just aren't aware of how dangerous it is for cyclists when the lane is blocked... especially when the pavement is also blocked, let's say by a truck, and the road is reduced to one lane of fast-moving traffic, which BTW is EXACTLY what happened to me the other day. ARGH! :eek:

arrietty wrote:
    No, I really like that idea. How about flyers that you could just slide under their wipers? I think a lot of drivers just aren't aware of how dangerous it is for cyclists when the lane is blocked... especially when the pavement is also blocked, let's say by a truck, and the road is reduced to one lane of fast-moving traffic, which BTW is EXACTLY what happened to me the other day. ARGH! :eek:

The worst spot is where they park just after a bus stop on a really busy road outside a school. Car doors open all the time into cyclists (twice to me) because they are so concerned about their kids getting out safely :rolleyes:

Flyers might not be bad idea and could be given out in a friendly manner. Could even set up a web site so many people could get the same design and do the same.

Would anybody else do it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I think the flyers are a good idea - scrunched in a ball they could also be flung through the window of the car that overtook you dangerously when you catch up with them at the next lights. :cool:

So, is anyone kinda arty and able to throw together a flyer we could each print out and have a few in our pockets?

oh yeah, the question. No, I haven't been cycling to work lately, but I'll probably get back into it over the summer. Got out of the habit when I had to wear a cycle-unfriendly suit for a while.
    Still, use the bike a good bit to get around town. Same problem going down Pearse St - taxi drivers and buses seem to have declared war on the cyclists. The bus lane is damn narrow and potholes by the kerb the size of a small country.

Having talked to drivers about this, many say that they think it's legal to park in cycle lanes. "I never saw a sign saying you can't park in a cycle lane," one told me. So obviously, the first step is to have signs dotted along the cycle lanes warning of stern penalties for those who park in them illegally.

This is unlikely to happen unless a cyclist, forced into the middle of the road by a parked car, ends up dead. That's what it takes for something to get done in this country - a tragedy. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I fear it will.

Perhaps what's called for is some guerilla tactics amongst cycling advocates. Campaigners in the Netherlands have been known to paint, in the dead of night, new cycle lanes onto roads that need them, or in place existing ones that are sub-standard. The same could be done with signs warning motorists of the dangers of parking in cycle lanes.

I'm definitely on board for the flyers. I love the idea and I think it would be great if one of the arty types here posted up a template for us all to use.

I also love the idea of the guerilla cycle lanes. I know of a few spots in Dublin 15 where there are the blue cycle lane signs posted around but no cycle lanes. There's also a lane next to the footpath in Castecurragh that's very obviously a cycle lane even though they didn't bother painting the cycle lane logos on it (they have the logos about a mile down the road round the corner where the extra lane extends).

I'm not sure about painting them though. I'd imagine I'd be in a bit of bother if I was caught. Then again, I'd absolutely love to see it posted on the news or something if I painted a cycle lane where the signs indicated there should be a cycle lane.

I think the make-your-own cycle lanes plan is a winner. A new thread started for ideas!! Really, it's to make a list of where the black spots are and then I'll send it into the city council. But, I'm tempted by the idea of spraying my own cycle lane down Pearse St, to make a point.

I hope someone takes on the flyer challenge!

EDIT - we could make the job easier by coming up with the content.
    Say, something like

"You have parked in a cycle lane and annoyed me and other cyclists so much that we bothered to stick this under your wiper. Now, I'm late, because of you. You plonker"

Clearly, I'm not that hot at wording flyers... help!!!

Remember, cars do not have a god-given right to use the road. It was Ireland's politicians and planners who, many decades ago, decreed that pedestrians and cyclists should have to be second-class citizens in favour or an unsustainable, damaging means of transport otherwise known as the car.

I think guerilla cycle lanes would be great way to draw attention - especially media attention (and that's what the politicians take notice of) - to not only the lack of cycle lanes on our roads, but the appaling quality of the existing cycle lanes on the roads that they have been tokenistically squeezed onto Dublin's roads, as an afterthought.

What happens is the Netherlands is that the cycle lane is painted onto the road by the cycling campaigners, then the police come along and remove it. Nobody is arrested or anything - the police have better things to be doing! What then happens is that city planners, who themselves cycle(!), take notice and make an effort to put in a cycle lane where the campaigners indicated with chalk/paint. Everybody wins.

Edanto, I think the signs should not antagonise drivers: they should point out, firmly and clearly, that parking in cycle lanes puts cyclists lives in danger, and is often illegal. Nobody parks in bus stops because they know it's not allowed. Cycle lanes should have the same status. I'll have a think about which streets in central Dublin need (better) cycle lanes and post tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

i would cycle to work but
    a) ive no bike
    2) im too lazy
    iii) i would be too hot n sweaty when i arrive cos there's no shower place

I'll try to make up a flyer over the weekend and post it up.

I don't mind if somebody beats me to the punch :)

It sounds like people would do it. I think the best thing is to start friendly and go for the guerilla tactics later. Alternatively we could do a Sin Feinn/IRA type thing. :D

Nice one Morningstar.

If an image would help you any, I have an old photo that might suit. I'll stick on a small copy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

arrietty wrote:
    How about flyers that you could just slide under their wipers?
    Littering offence.

Victor wrote:
    Littering offence.

Yeah, you're correct there, Victor.
    Thing is... when it comes down to it, I'm quite willing to take the chance of being told off by some bored copper. Although everyone does need to be aware that flyering is technically littering, before they embark on this little campaign.

I'm glad people like the idea! :D

Well, as I was cycling home on Friday there was a taxi driver pulled over in the cycle lane at the corner of Fairview Park, near the Spar. He came back out as I was stopped behind him, trying to get out onto the road (impossible because of the volume of traffic, esp. buses) with a packet of Taytos, a Club Lemon and a KitKat. Whatever. I called to him, nice and polite, "Excuse me? You realise you're parked in a cycle lane?"
    "Where do you expect me to park? The sky?"
    "Anywhere else?"
    Then he drove off. At least he didn't try to knock me over... like a van driver I saw earlier on during the ride home. Stopped at traffic, he started rolling forward and trying to cut off/knock down a cyclist. Missed, then leaned out his window and said to a car in the next lane "Ah, better luck next time!") (Sorry, that was kinda off-topic but I just HAD to fume.)
    Anyway, I guess the taxi driver echoes a lot of drivers' attitudes. That they've got a right to park there. I guess they need some re-educating. :) Seriously. Most drivers are fine, but the situation is too dangerous for me not to do anything.
    I'll try and think up a message for the flyers over the next few hours!

Victor wrote:
    Littering offence.

Are flyers littering? I haven't noticed flyer under wipers in a while but I wasn't aware they were made illegal.

I never got around to make up a flyer which I am totally surprised at :rolleyes:

arrietty> That cycle lane spot has to be one of the worst and most dangerous in the city. Car constantly drive in it and park in it. I have to cross that road and get up the Malahide road which is so dangerous I use the pedestrain crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

I cycle to work most days, 3 miles each way. Showers in work is nice, means I just have to take a tshirt and boxers, there's lockers where I leave a pair of shoes and trousers which get swapped at the end of the week.

This mornings cycling incident:
    Was cycling up a hill in dundrum, through the green for me lights and about 10 or 15 metres up the road a little kid runs right out in front of me - can't have been more than 3 or 4. Anyway lucky I was a bike and not a car or she'd defo have been hit. I turn round and yell at the dad something along the lines of "Fckin hell, put some bloody reins on that kid". His response....... "Mind your language" !!!!! WTF???? His kid nearly gets squished and he's worried about her hearing bad words???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

I cycle to work 99.8% of the time...rain,wind,sun etc...
    I use to do a 22 mile return trip...was great for keeping fit and beating the traffic. have changed jobs since and now only do a 5-6 mile return trip :(
    and putting on weight :(

On a side note, I find when I'm cycling fast or in a hurry through town, the amount of near misses, incident etc increase. Do you all find this?
    My point is (and I hate to say this) that when conditions/traffic is bad maybe we should all slow down to give ourselfs more time to react to dangerous/fustrated drivers!!!

Are flyers littering? I haven't noticed flyer under wipers in a while but I wasn't aware they were made illegal.

I think they've been illegal for years. Correct me if I'm wrong! I guess the people who used to flyer cars now just flyer letterboxes... :rolleyes: Anyway, I don't think it's enforced much, especially if it's not the commercial flyers that are put out in bulk.

Mm, okay, my suggested wording is:

Dear Driver,
    Please take a moment to consider your parking practices. Parking in a cycle lane is illegal and extremely dangerous for the cyclists using it. You wouldn't park in the middle of the cars' lane. Please don't park here either.
    Thank you.

Could do that in nice clear type with some good graphic design... B&W so it's photocopiable. Just a first draft... if anyone has any suggestions, put 'em up!

How about.

"Parking in the cycle lane is illegal/an offence and puts my life in danger."

followed by a little street diagram with a cyclist veering out of the way of a parked car into the path of traffic coming from behind.

I have my doubts about it's effectiveness.
    Since it is already illegal, why not go the whole hog and come up with a design that makes it appear to be from An Garda Siochana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

For the flyer:
    you might want to add something at the end like "Boards Cycling Association"
    For example, I would like to know who the flyer was from, so I know it not my mate play a prank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

pan wrote:
    For the flyer:
    you might want to add something at the end like "Boards Cycling Association"
    For example, I would like to know who the flyer was from, so I know it not my mate play a prank.

Why not join the Dublin Cycling Campaign, come along to a meeting and propose that we work on this idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Please do not associate boards.ie with potentially illegal campaigns :)

Trojan wrote:
    Please do not associate boards.ie with potentially illegal campaigns :)

I agree. :) And I also don't think it's a good idea to pretend to be from the Gardai. For one thing, I hardly look the part. :) It's asking for trouble, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn the flyer was a good idea, it's a pity no-one took it on. I'm not arty, I was stuck for time, but at least it's a start. Take it away and modify it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I looked up the statutes, searching for "cycle track".
    Found an item that says it is illegal to drive along or across a cycle track. I would assume that parking on a cycle track is illegal because you have to drive on it to park on it.

Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997
    Cycle Tracks
    14. (6) ( a ) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track.
    The offence is listed in the penalty points legislation.
    Road Traffic Act, 2002 (entire Act) relevant section
    Offence consisting of contravention of article 14(5)
    i.e. Contravention of restrictions on driving vehicle on cycle track
    is 1 penalty point (3 if fail in court)
    The penalty point item doesn't make much sense because article 14(5) in the Road Traffic Act 1997 is:
    14 (5) When a cycle track is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left hand side of each lane.
    Is this a mistake that drivers could use to get away with the offence?

I would suggest that any flyer reference the legislation to add authority to the complaint.
    Victor wrote:
    arrietty wrote:
    How about flyers that you could just slide under their wipers?
    Littering offence.
    Yes, it is a littering offence if the fliers find their way to the ground, even though the person placing them on the car didn't do the littering. Littering legislation is quite tough and unforgiving. As someone who loathes litter I am glad of this.
    Maybe one of those hard-to-remove stickers...

robfitz wrote:
    Why not join the Dublin Cycling Campaign, come along to a meeting and propose that we work on this idea?

I would never join that crowd because of the spokesman does more damage than good. Anytime he is on the radio they have to cut him off and he appears to be a nut. Not a big fan of joining things either way but I don't support their voice as it is so unreasonable.

eo980 wrote:
    Hmnn the flyer was a good idea, it's a pity no-one took it on. I'm not arty, I was stuck for time, but at least it's a start. Take it away and modify it!!!

I like! Little yin/yang-inspired thing is very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

arrietty wrote:
    I like! Little yin/yang-inspired thing is very cool.

Well hopefully it'll move onto bigger and better things arrietty!!! C'mon folks, the flyer is a good idea, the ball's rolling!

Seriously instead of pestering motorists with this litter you should pester the Gards with it. It's their responsibility to enforce the rules and in a way, you are trying doing their jobs for them.
    Maybe you can direct your energies toward Michael McDowell in this respect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement