Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL and UEFA Cup draws

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kairat/Artmedia v Celtic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

we can beat glens on both games TBH !!!

at least were not meeting celtic either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:
    kairat/Artmedia v Celtic

BBC say :CELTIC v NK Gorica or KF Tirana , but I presume your watching the draw .

shels/glens v Steaua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Glentoran/Shels v Steau Bucharest, a long trip!

Celtic v Kairat/Artmedia

were playing steaua !!!! who are they ????????????????

eirebhoy wrote:
    shels/glens v Steaua

Its hard but a lot more winnable than some of the other possible ties .
    Steaua haven't really been a good team for a long time , but Shels will have to really get their act together to even stand a chance .

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Romanian champions, not a bad draw considering teams like Celtic and Dynamo Kiev were in there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They the team that should you beat Glens will be the team that knocks you out, half the romanian national team play for them , they have won the European cup before, man did you ever play sensible soccer :D

kdjac

they are obviously a team that the glory days are long gone. I reckon we can win over the two legs. We are probably facing tougher oppostion than Spilit but we have a far better squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I REALLY REALLY hope Glens beat ye.
    they are obviously a team that the glory days are long gone. I reckon we can win over the two legs. We are probably facing tougher oppostion than Spilit but we have a far better squad

You never heard of them 10 minutes ago, and all of a sudden you reckon you can take them over 2 legs? :rolleyes:

gimmick wrote:

That would be fecking fantastic for our coefficients .
    The last thing we need is those up north rambling on about how they're better than us .

dont I not like anyone but Shels supporters !!!!!

The Village will add nothing to the league this season in Europe. Just another flop year !

gimmick - Jolly only supports Shels since the Depor match. He has never been to Tolka. I wouldn't want Glens to beat them just to spite him. :)

The big defecit for Shels if they get by Glens is that they have to play the home leg first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

The home leg first if we win is the big problem alright, it's a huge disadvantage. If we play at our best we could give anyone a game, if we play like we're playing now we wont have to worry about Romania.

I'm happy with Glentoran though, second only to TNS in the teams I wanted to get. Should be great games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

gimmick wrote:

oi, that's an irish club you're talking about.

As a pool fan I'm delighted for TNS. Payday for them in the Millenium Stadium.

Just another flop year !

I have asked you to explain this before, and you avoided it. Tell me when City last 'flopped' in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shels in Belfast on the 12th of July :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think I'll give the away leg a miss

uberwolf wrote:
    oi, that's an irish club you're talking about.

actually its wrexham's ground . When is the Uefa Cup draw taking place ?

• Advertisement

They played Man City in the MS last season

Surely Liverpool is an even massiver tie than the Man City one was?

Steaua have a great record in their home ground. They beat Standard Liege, Besiktas and Valencia in the UEFA cup last season and drew with Villarreal.

Their league finished less than 2 weeks ago so their players won't be getting much of a break.

Glens or Shels, either way we have an Irish team to cheer on against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Thats a good draw for Shels.

Low Travel Costs.

Probable TV coverage.

Shels likely to go through.

They will do Ireland proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

uberwolf wrote:

All depends....if Pool give them a hammering by 5 or 6 goals at Anfield in the first tie, I don't think they'd sell out the Millenium stadium...might be better for them to get the ties reversed and play there first.

It's fate they got TNS first round....hopefully they get a short trip to Faroe Is in 2nd round where the majority of supporters are Liverpool fans and by the luck of the Gods they'll get Man U or Everton in 3rd round.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Glens or Shels, either way we have an Irish team to cheer on against them.

You mean an Northern Irish and an Irish team ;p

kdjac

eirebhoy wrote:
    Their league finished less than 2 weeks ago so their players won't be getting much of a break.

That's what I'm clinging too, it wont help Glentoran if they win but if we win it could prove a big advantage. Play a high tempo game and try and expoit our fitness advantage over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

steaua !!!! who are they ????????????????

They're only the club Accrington Stanley could have been!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

S B are a good side. Cant see Shels doing it at all at all!

Glentoren are going to a tought side to beat and are going o be way more up for it then Shels imo.

BBC:TNS, who have previously played Manchester City in European competition, will have to switch their home leg from the Dreflan on safety grounds and may opt for Wrexham's Racecourse Ground.

So it seems it may be the millenium stadium , about 15 minutes ago they were claiming TNS had already decided to play in the racecourse ground , why are they getting so much wrong today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

The CEO of TNS was saying that they would switch to the MS if they drew Liverpool, before the draw.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    gimmick - Jolly only supports Shels since the Depor match. He has never been to Tolka. I wouldn't want Glens to beat them just to spite him. :)

The big defecit for Shels if they get by Glens is that they have to play the home leg first.

EIREBHOY :mad: IVE BEEN TO MORE GAMES IN TOLKA THAN YOU HAVE HOT DINNERS
    S B are a good side. Cant see Shels doing it at all at all!

Glentoren are going to a tought side to beat and are going o be way more up for it then Shels imo.

All the players signed by Nutsy in the summer were brought in for Europe. They will all be up for this. Its really what Nutsy will be judged on.

As for the Village, just look at the clubs co-efficent ;) hardly inspiring IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lets see, lets say eirebhoy is at a guess 20.
    He eats 7 dinners a week, just for argument sake say that 5 of them are hot, although thats way way too low.
    So thats 5 * 52 * 20 - 5200

Gee, I didn't realise the EL was so intensive, and we hear Mourinho complaining about the Prem fixtures!!

As for the Village, just look at the clubs co-efficent ;) hardly inspiring IMO

Answer the question. When did City 'flop' in Europe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

For the first time ever, I'll be supporting two teams in the CL this year, being an honourary Glens fan and all... :-)

maybe flop isnt the right word..

CCFC have never achieved anything (intertoto doesnt count) of any signifance in Europe.

EIREBHOY :mad: IVE BEEN TO MORE GAMES IN TOLKA THAN YOU HAVE HOT DINNERS

hehe took Eb 2 years to come out of the closet about being a Pats fan :D

CCFC have never achieved anything (intertoto doesnt count) of any signifance in Europe

Compared to Shels doing what?
    Pats drew with Celtic away great result then thumped 10-0 next season kinda negated the Celtic result, Shels lost to Hibs and nearly made up for that last season. Lest we forget Hibs of MALTA beat you over 2 legs, so win one more game and thats forgiven.

kdjac

City play first leg away to Ekranas of Lithuania.

Longford play first leg at home to Camarthen Town of Wales.

Both winnable draws, esp for Longford.

looks like a decnet draw for all the EL clubs

gimmick wrote:

You'd hope Longford can come through that, no excuses this year, if they don't win that tie they'll never win in Europe.

Cork will fancy their chances, espically with the away leg first.

Overall today has been pretty good for the league I think.

• Advertisement

[nitpick]It's Carmarthen Town[/nitpick]

God, I'm torn now. There is a College in Carmarthen that my friend went to, and I went to a few Carmarthen Town games, so I have some affinity with them.

It is a lovely place, not too far from Swansea and Cardiff, and they speak English.

seansouth wrote:
    I went to a few Carmarthen Town games

So how would you say the tie will go?

Longford should have beaten the team they played last year. :rolleyes:

Longford should beat Carmarthen Town :rolleyes:

longford have it all to prove !!

seansouth wrote:
    Longford should have beaten the team they played last year. :rolleyes:

Longford should beat Carmarthen Town :rolleyes:

Indeed, it would be a farce if they didn't win this one, but after last year I wont get my hopes too high.

They are in the UEFA thanks to the cup run, same as Longford. Finished 6th last season, and one place off relegation the season before. They are certainly no great shakes, but I'd say the elsh fans are saying the same about Longford after last years debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

CCFC have never achieved anything (intertoto doesnt count) of any signifance in Europe

Just shows how much you dont know jolly!!

So shelbourne drew with Depo,
    1991 - 1992
    A hectic pre-season included games in Shanghai against the Polish and Chinese Olympic teams, a famous 2:0 win over Celtic plus visits from Leeds, Manchester City and Sunderland. The icing on the cake was a gallant UEFA joust with Bayern Munich, City holding the German giants 1:1 at Musgrave Park before falling 0:2 to late goals in Bavaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Shelbourne are going to have to go up and play a team supported predominantly by Loyalists in east Belfast on the 12th of July? :eek:

gimmick wrote:

Its as good as you can hope for and despite me having almost no faith in them (normally) I think against Camarthen they should pull through over two legs .

I sense Cork winning their home leg and Ekranas winning theirs , but with Cork having shown they can deal with decent European pedigree I beleive they will win the tie .

how far do you want to go back Jank ???

^ Without making too much of a thing of this TJR, before last season, when did Shels do anything of note in Europe?

Ill point out that before last season, Citys last Euro tie was the embarrassment against Liepija Metalurgs, where we lost both legs to a very poor team.

Before that, we lost (unluckily) 1-2 on agg to Lausanne Sports of Switzerland who went onto the semi Finals of the UEFA that season, knocking out Ajax and Bordeux along the way.

Im not saying our European 'pedigree' is marvellous, but apart from the Metalurgs debacle, City have never let themselves down in Europe.

Now, all the above sh*t aside, I think all the eL teams have a decent chance of progressing

Shels should beat Glentoran. They should be out of their current rut at that point. That said, I get a feeling complacency could be a huge issue for Shels this time.

Longford will more than likely lose away, and win at home. Unfortunatley, I see the away loss being heavy.

as for City, well last season proved they could mix it, bating Malmo home and away (Malmo won the Swedish league this season!!!), beating NEC Nijmegen at home, drawing away, and being edged 2-4 against Nantes. I dont know a single thing about Ekranas, so I dont know whether to be confident or not. What i do know is that if City play to their potential, they WILL progress.

• Advertisement
Advertisement