Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIPWAVE - I Rip you not.....

• 22-06-2005 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Hello all, Dont be giving out i'm sure millions of people have posted about this but i'm a new member and its my first post so bear with me!!
    What in the name of god is the story with ripwave, I got it like 2 days ago and a dial up would be faster, I have a constant red light for connection and have been told by support that this has nothing to do with the quality of my connection... Lies i think
    :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

From what I have read over the last year almost nobody gets anything near broadband speeds with Ripwave.

Well you get what you payed for anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

That little light can be very misleading. When I had Ripwave, even when the light was green the speeds could be lousy. I also found it would roam from a perfectly good signal on one base station to a woeful one on another for no apparent reason.

If you get Navini diagnostics from http://www.navini.com/pages/support/userdownloads.htm (or maybe it's on your CD) - at least you'll get more info on the signal.

If your speed and pings are no good then send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

Yeah i'll give the diags a shot, IBB were talking ot me about an extender aerial that i can stick on my window........ Kinda Sucks that you should have to do that :mad:

And yeah.. Your right you do get what you pay for.... But they shouldnt be advertising it the way they do....AND I REFUSE to upgrade to Breeze, What can you do though, NTL are not in my area yet for cable and i dont want a land line, If my XBOX Live doesnt work out on the ripwave though i will be well unhappy!, Such is life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I wouldn't hold your breath with XBox. IBB don't guarantee ping times and 100-200 ping is "acceptable" according to them and that's on breeze, I dread to think what their acceptable ping times are for Ripwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

mcshape wrote:
    If my XBOX Live doesnt work out on the ripwave though i will be well unhappy!, Such is life!
    If you get XBOX live to work properly on ripwave I'll eat my dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Ah! More happy campers......Ripwave ROCKS???????????????? When Oh When will people listen .....IT SUCKS...They are liers & cowboys... I tried ripwave for a day & sent it back after some excuse for tech support told me the reason I wasn't getting a signal was because I didn't leave the modem on for 24-48 hours to warm up!!!!!!! It was back in thier office within 48 hours what crap!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

beller b wrote:
    Ripwave ROCKS????????????????
    IT SUCKS...... I tried ripwave for a day
    Who said it rocks? Nobody here!
    Also, I'd reserve making such a strong judgement on something you've effectively never used. Just coz it didn't work for you straight out of the box doesn't mean the whole service sucks.

Who said it rocks? Nobody here!
    Also, I'd reserve making such a strong judgement on something you've effectively never used. Just coz it didn't work for you straight out of the box doesn't mean the whole service sucks.
    I didn't say anyone here said it rocks. I was sarcastically refering to thier ad...I am making my strong judgement on my personal experiences with IBB over a 3 month period. I have posted greater detail of this here before & I dont want to go trough it all again. But believe me its justified, IMHO!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It works just fine for lots of people who have no NTL and no phone line and whose landlords wont have antennae fixed to their premises .

The consensus is that the better experience is with the ethernet ripwave unit and that the usb one is cack .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

beller b wrote:
    I tried ripwave for a day & sent it back after some excuse for tech support told me the reason I wasn't getting a signal was because I didn't leave the modem on for 24-48 hours to warm up!!!!!!! It was back in thier office within 48 hours what crap!!!

Agree,I know a couple of people who went for the IBB deal,didn't get signal/service and sent the box back.

The best is that this happens even after they LIE to you that a LOS test has been passed for thier breeze service.. It seems IBB play the numbers game , sign everyone up regardless, some of them are bound to work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

The numbers game is good fun for them,it passes the time while their waiting for the complaints to get through :)

That explains why they never have time to return calls.....too busy opening & repacking modems LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The consensus is that the better experience is with the ethernet ripwave unit and that the usb one is cack .
    Same with Eircom DSL. Mate had it connected with USB: not good + bad pings. Put it on the Ethernet port, and it was smooth!

If you have the option, use the Ethernet connection, not the USB connection.

Yeah your right, Its cack, Sending it back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Hey mcshape before you send it back could you tell me the manufacturer and product number of the Ripwave box as I wouldnt mind knowing a little more about it.

Thanks.

Advertisement