Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it Illegal for me to go home?

Options
  • 22-06-2005 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The road outside our house was re-surfaced last week. Yesterday, they painted the lines on it (It never had lines before).
    But, they painted it as a solid white line all the way. There is no breaks in in at all.

So, technically, I am breaking the law if i turn right into my house, (acause I have to cross the solid white line).
    Am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Yeah your right, it shoud have broken white lines outside your....lol....That sucks, your going to have to drive down the road to a spot where you can turn around and then drive back...lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Mighty! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Hey why dont you get some black paint n paint over them, see how that goes, without killing yourself, depending on how busy the road is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I believe its ok to cross white lines for access and the like. It would be a bit stupid for the local authority to have to change it to broken lines outside every house entrance -- especially where the road is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hedge

As far as I can remember, Solid white lines on the side of the road are known as edge lines and are purely to show you your position on the road (like cats eyes). Therefore it is not illegal to cross them to get into your house...... Unless you're pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Isn't it okay to cross a white line for various reasons, avoid an obstruction, gane access etc....so you should be okay

Kluivert - Nice Idea, Its not that busy after commuter hours

Hedge - It is just one solid line, down the centre of the road. An edge line would be a good idea on this road, but good ideas never seem to materialise with Kildare Co. Co.

Stephen - That is exactly what was done afaik, they would leave a break in the line outside each gate! Saves paint ;)

Can anyone find a road rule that states it is okay to cross a white line for access?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Why is it important?

Just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

prospect wrote:
    Can anyone find a road rule that states it is okay to cross a white line for access?
    Why is there nowhere on the net with the Irish Rules of the Road printed!? www.oasis.gov.ie don't seem to have anything and neither does www.irlgov.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

From the rules of the road (1992 edition) by the DOE.
    Single or double continuous white lines along the centre of the road; all traffic must keep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access).

So to answer the question yes you can cross the line so long as its safe to do so but you wouldnt cross it if it wasnt would you!

Thanks astec123, I'll consider that concrete info.

I had checked Oasis etc, to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Not a bother, its alarming that this book isnt available in an online form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I have to cross a white line to get into my apartment too. On a 4 lane road. My apartment is fairly new, so I can't see the CoCo changing the line for our benefit. Although a yellow box or "Keep Clear" in front of the entrance would be nice, especially as the road is constantly full of traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

astec123 wrote:
    If it was online, they couldn't charge punters for it and make more money from a book that has been outdated for a number of years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

What would happen if you were involved in an accident whilst turning into your house? even if it was tecnically not your fault the ins company would look to that as a cop out for them and refuse to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

astec123 wrote:
    It's far more alarming that it hasn't had any significant updates since 1991.
    ubu wrote:
    What would happen if you were involved in an accident whilst turning into your house? even if it was tecnically not your fault the ins company would look to that as a cop out for them and refuse to pay out.
    Hardly, if what you did is specifically allowed in the Rules of the Road.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ubu wrote:
    If you're turning into your house with no regard for oncoming traffic (who would have right of way if the centre line was continuous, dotted or lined with nice stars and moons) it might well be your fault.

Advertisement