Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL modem... port forwarding??

• 22-06-2005 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

I tried searching for this to no avail - so apologies if its been asked before.

I just got ntl broadband installed and I've been having a little problem connecting to certain services. (emule for example).

When i connect to the modem (192.168.100.1) there doesn't seem to be any options to change anything like that - so I'm wondering what the problem is, or if anyone has some suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The modem shouldn't do any NAT - no services should be blocked. Are you running a firewall on your machine.
    What OS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I just got ntl broadband installed and I've been having a little problem connecting to certain services. (emule for example).

i'm with ntl and had the same prob with emule.

you using a router? if so look at this page and follow the instructions according to your model: http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Have you got the windows xp firewall on? if it is have a look at this page and follow instructions: http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/help.cgi?l=1&rm=show_topic&topic_id=124

if you still cant get a low id in emule check that any anti virus/worm software your running is gonna need specific rules for emule.

emule is quite slow but the weath of stuff on it is mindblowing! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

yeah just figured it out - quite foolish of me - i'm using a wireless router. used to be with esat so i was used to the all in one modem/ router jobby. fixed now, thanks for the input though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cykedout

I've just got in NTL Broadband and this is the first time I've had broadband (as against dial-up for years previously). They've only just started rolling it out in the Waterford area, so this is my first opportunity to get a decent BB package (IMO).

I've been reading up on setting up various BB options and as in the title of this thread, "Port Forwarding" is mentioned as helping to speed up connections. However, even after searching this forum and various others, I can't seem to find out how to do this to my setup. I don't know what type of modem I had installed -- the NTL modem doesn't have a brand name on it -- and I can't find anything in my settings which tells what make of modem it is. And I don't know if I'm using a router or if I am how to find out about it in the NTL setup. does anyone know any of this info and how to sort it, to possibly speed up uploads and downloads.

I'm using Windows XP Home OS, and the cable modem is connected to my PC via an onboard NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter if that helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cykedout wrote:
    I've been reading up on setting up various BB options and as in the title of this thread, "Port Forwarding" is mentioned as helping to speed up connections.

If you don't have another router like a wireless ruter connected between your NTL Modem and your PC, then you don't need to worry about port forwarding, it doesn't really apply to you, just enjoy your NTL experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 cykedout

Thanks bk. It's hard as a broadband newbie to see and read loads of topics on "how to this" and "how this works" and such, and try and sort out what's relevant to you. i guess I'll just have to learn as i go along.

Advertisement