Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart

• 22-06-2005 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭

If you go to smart telecom for landline and BB do you have to change your landline number??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Q. Does my number change with Smart Telecom?

A. The beauty of this service is that your number does not change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

GreeBo wrote:
    Q. Does my number change with Smart Telecom?

A. The beauty of this service is that your number does not change.

"Will I have to change my phone number?

Yes, you will have to change your number. However we will provide you with a new Smart Telecom number."

?

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/products/broadband/faq.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Your number will be changed as eircom are all sulky at the moment with smart and wont allow you to keep your old number if you avail of LLU through smart.

In time and after millions have been waisted eircom will be forced to allow roaming of numbers to smart when LLU is enabled but that is 6months away at best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Be extremely careful of their moronic customer services / techs.

They lied to me. They told me while i was waiting for crown alley to go live, that changing to their phone service would make the process faster when the exchange was live. So i went got eircom to reconnect my line, set it up and swapped to smart. The day i did it, someone came back and told me i would have to switch BACK to eircom, app for BB and then switch back.

I have actually recieved more calls from SBB since ive told them to kiss my shinny metal ass and shove the DD form up their a%&'s. Theyve tried to get me back. Even told me they could have me up and running in 12 working days. Which still involved going back to eircom, which i refused.

So be wide. Some of them are really helpful, but most of them really dont have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Currently yes, because Eircom won't allow the number be moved to smart at the same time as they move the physical line over. If Smart didn't give you a new number this would lead to a few weeks with out any incomming phone service.

Hahaha!!

Just heard SmartBB new radio add.
    Its now been changed from 4 times as fast to twice as fast!!!

I assume compared price-wise with a similar product from Eircom being 1Mb in the price range it is more truthfull than the older add.

Honestly though Smart will have to roll out a 3/4Mbit product in the next 6months/year to actually get customers from eircom as 2Mbit is no longer as impressive as it once was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

But still, if you can get broadband for basically €10.50 per month, even if its ONLY 2mb, are you gonna pay out €40 per month to eircom for half the speed, plus a cap?

Shougeki - I went through pretty much the same as yourself - its taken me over a month and a half to cancel smart, go to eircom and at this stage, I'm still in the process of changing to smart (just sent off new auth form with eircom account number today). Pain in the arse, but what can you do! I took pleasure when a woman from eircom rang today to ask how my line was and was I happy with eircom and told her I already moved back to smart... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Roll out 3/4 Mbit????? They need to roll out thier 2 meg service first.. At the moment that seems to be beyond them

beller b wrote:
    Roll out 3/4 Mbit????? They need to roll out thier 2 meg service first.. At the moment that seems to be beyond them

Thats what I was getting at...they have missed the 2Mbit bandwagon due to eircom and their solicitors.
    To make the big impact, once they can freely rollout LLU Broadband, they will need to have something special to offer customers.

• Advertisement

I agree Eircom are acting the maggot. But I got an email from Smart today (Even though I cancelled 2 weeks ago) apologising for delays re Santry..quote from Laura Carey 22-06-05 " Our Equipment is ALMOST installed in the exchange & we anticipate going live in your exchange within 2 weeks.
    Quote from Garfield 04-06-05 "All the equipment is installed in Santry"
    The lies go on. Glad I went for BT now...

Shame about Smart...eircom may end up liquidating it if there is a marathon of court battles ahead!!!

At least we have BT to rely on for some sort of competition.
    I hope their swanky looking adds give them a larger piece of the broadband cake in Ireland as competition is good for everyone!!!

I know this is slightly out of context "beller b", but as you are talkative at the moment, do you know when eircom will upgrade their exchanges to ADSL2 as it wont be long before 4Mbit will be forced on them to offer their customers and 8Mbit no more than a couple of years later.

It can't be far off. Digiweb are all ready offering 4mbit, abit expensive..Smart were claiming speeds of up to 6mbit on testing. If they were to use this to make up for thier slow start it could force eircoms & BTs hand.

Advertisement