Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Server 2000 question

Options
  • 22-06-2005 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have three tables in a db. Question, Answer, and Response as below

Question
    ==================
    QuestionId int identity
    ModuleId nvarchar
    ResManRef nvarchar
    Question nvarchar
    QuestionTypeId nvarchar
    QuestionOrder int
    CorrectAnswerId int
    IsActive bit
    CreatedBy nvarchar
    CreateDate smalldatetime
    ModifiedBy nvarchar
    ModifiedDate smalldatetime

Answer
    ==================
    AnswerId int identity
    QuestionId int
    ResManRef nvarchar
    Answer nvarchar
    AnswerOrder nvarchar
    IsActive bit
    CreatedBy nvarchar
    CreateDate smalldatetime
    ModifiedBy nvarchar

Response
    ==================
    ResponseId int identity
    ModuleSessionId int
    QuestionId int
    ResponseAnswerId int
    CreatedBy nvarchar
    CreateDate smalldatetime
    ModifiedBy nvarchar

There are a number of constraints on these tables which are preventing me from deleting records (Cascade is off for all btw). Constraints:

Question
    FOREIGN KEY FK_Question_Answer CorrectAnswerId REFERENCES aer.dbo.Answer (AnswerId)

Answer
    FOREIGN KEY FK_Answer_Question QuestionId REFERENCES aer.dbo.Question (QuestionId)

Response

FOREIGN KEY FK_Response_Answer ResponseAnswerId REFERENCES aer.dbo.Answer (AnswerId)
    FOREIGN KEY FK_Response_Question QuestionId REFERENCES aer.dbo.Question (QuestionId)

I'm trying to delete records based on QuestionId but the constraints are preventing me from doing so. This is an inherited system so we can't drop or change the constraints as we don't have time for regression testing. I'm pulling my hair out trying to write a script. The relationships seem to be circular which is preventing this. Can anybody see a way out other than dropping and re-creating the relationships?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well we're going to drop and recreate the relationships but if anybody does have an answer it would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

UPDATE Question SET CorrectAnswerId = null WHERE QuestionID = idToDelete

DELETE FROM Response where ResponseAnswerID IN (SELECT AnswerId FROM Answer WHERE QuestionID = idToDelete)

DELETE FROM Response where QuestionId = idToDelete

DELETE FROM Answer  WHERE QuestionID = idToDelete
    DELETE FROM Question WHERE QuestionID = idToDelete

Should do it for ya Phil. some fo the DELETEs may be redundant if the references are strict.

If you can't set the CorrectAnswerId to null, then you could have problems, but you can probably work around them creating dummy records* in Question and Answer which have a special "deleteMeId", and you can update to that instead of to Null.

Alternately, I know its possible to disable Constraints, and I believe its possible to re-enable them without getting them to recheck every record for validity, whcih would also be an option, but not one I'd go for by choice.

That do it for ya?

jc

* dummy records would be permanent, not just created for each delete operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Damn my timing.

Your timing is good Bonkey, and thanks again. CorrectAnswerId does allow nulls.

Actually its just been pointed out to us (and we are kicking ourselves soundly for missing it).

Question
    ==================
    QuestionId int identity
    ModuleId nvarchar
    ResManRef nvarchar
    Question nvarchar
    QuestionTypeId nvarchar
    QuestionOrder int
    CorrectAnswerId int
    IsActive bit
    CreatedBy nvarchar
    CreateDate smalldatetime