Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer iPod to iRiver - Impossible or just difficult?

Options
  • 22-06-2005 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

I am not all that familiar with iTunes or iPod, but from what my limited attempts to date, and from what I have seen and some googling I have been doing, it seems to be a difficult process to take music off an iPod for use on a PC (without iTunes), for back-up, or for transfer to a new / other band MP3 or HDD player.

If I understand things correctly:

1. You can transfer music by looking in hidden folders; however the music in these folders is randomly ordered and named (so you could have 20 tracks from 20 artists and 20 albums, all codenamed in a codenamed folder / sub-folder).

2. These files are MPEG4 (?) format, which is not compatible with many other players / jukeboxes.

My questions are:

1. If I transferred folders to a hard drive, is there any software that can read the ID3 tag information and then rename and resort the random files copied in Windows explorer.

2. What other players support MPEG4? (both MP3 players and PC media players?)

3. Is there software to convert MPEG4 to MP3 without losing sound quality.

4. Is there anything else I should know about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes there's a lot of ID3 tagging software out there and believe i had to transfer music from an ipod to an iriver. it's not hard but it's time consuming.

google the program called "the godfather" i was told that this is the best. but the program i used for the task was mp3 tag studio. here's the website http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

www.misticriver.net you will get more help from the iRiver fan site than here, its possible but as has been said takes a long time, and you may be better re-ripping. But take a look at mr and look at the threads on this topic and also the ones on the topic of ripping and see which suits you best.

Advertisement