Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choices...

• 22-06-2005 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I can pretty much get all of the broadband options...
    Ive had Ripwave, sucked like a calf so I sent it back
    Just coming to the end of my EsatBT trial, happy enough with them but dont want a 12 month contract
    Apparently I can get NTL and I presume I can get Eircom if I already have Esat.
    Ive signed up for Smart but have to wait at least another 2 months for availability.

So my question is, what my best bet for broadband?
    If the offer is good enough I wont bother waiting for Smart, but I would like to as I like the line rental included lark.

Ive heard NTL are pretty good, but again 12 month contract scares me. We've seen what can happen very quickly --> SmartTelecom.

Any opinions or ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Knocklyon/Rathfarnham/Ballyboden border

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

GreeBo wrote:
    Knocklyon/Rathfarnham/Ballyboden border

Go for NTL if you can get it ! just D15 is a nightmre for NTL at the moment but all other areas are fine.

D

NTL say they dont support VPN which I would occasionly require for work
    Also they are still 12 month contract, not crazy about the upload (2000/200) but I guess there is feck all choice!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you don't live in D15*, then NTL is by far the best, they are excellent value for money, have great customer care and their products are very well speced.

They have an offer at the moment:

First 3 months free, free install, free equipment and first 12 months analogue TV free.

You can get:
    1m/100k for €25
    2m/200k for €35
    3m/300k for €45

You can easily change products at anytime (downgrade/upgrade) for free.

I wouldn't worry about a 12 month contract, NTL have said (and proven) that they will beat any other product on the market. If something better comes from Eircom, etc. I have no doubt that NTL will beat it.

BTW NTL will also be introducing VoIP in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GreeBo wrote:
    NTL say they dont support VPN which I would occasionly require for work
    Also they are still 12 month contract, not crazy about the upload (2000/200) but I guess there is feck all choice!

I use VPN for work from home on NTL (3m/300k) and I have no problems, I think this is just in the contract to protect themselves from people who abuse VPN.

The upload speed is much better then Eircom at least, only IBB has better and that is variable at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

there is no 12 month contracts with esatbt anymore.... its down to 6 months with eircom... but month by month with esat now...

jimbling wrote:
    there is no 12 month contracts with esatbt anymore.... its down to 6 months with eircom... but month by month with esat now...
    I asked esat and they said that if I continue with the service after the trial I will be charged installation and be on a 12 month contract... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Cancel the trial and reapply if you can live without broadband for a couple of weeks.

Though I'm unsure if the new deal applies to those who have trailed BT broadband before?!?

Im sure that you would have had to cancel before the end of the 3rd month though as the 4 month was a freebie to those who had decided to keep their broadband.

So GreeBo if this is your 4th month with broadband I must tell you that you are caught with BT for the time being!!!

juliuspret wrote:
    So GreeBo if this is your 4th month with broadband I must tell you that you are caught with BT for the time being!!!
    Nah, my 3rd month is up in about 3 days
    Ive already cancelled via email and received an acknowledgement.
    I might see what the NTL boys have to say, free tv fo 12 months would be nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Make sure to return BT's equipment or you'll be charged for it!!!

If you can get NTL then get them as they have the best overall deal...even though IBB appear better, reception is not always the best as far as I can tell from various posts in this forum.

NTL with 3Mbit/300kbit for €45 a month is the best option out there!!!

Advertisement