Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new look front page

OFDM wrote:
    Merging the threads there gave me a fright when I clicked new reply link in the notification email - thought boards was falling apart for a second there.
    Sorry! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Like the new layout, much better BUT...

My job has blocked all access to www.boards.ie/* and boards.ie/* so I have to access using a subdomain address, e.g. hello.boards.ie/*. The problem is the links to the threads on the front page now link to www.boards.ie/* as opposed to hello.boards.ie/*. Can this be changed back to the old way, i.e. whatever the person typed in the address bar?

Am I making sense?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

kenmc wrote:
    edit: who's still running 800x600 in this day and age????

who still asks such stupid questions in this day and age?

I should be able to browse with my browser window at any size I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

I prefer the older one. It's easier on the eye and less convoluted. But I prefere these colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Regarding the drop down menus I noticed that a couple of weeks ago on the Computers forum. The menu was going behind the ad - it was only one ad not all of them (I think it was a Hosting365 one). It was tested in FF and IE - and a mate tried it too. Haven't noticed it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

its great, I didnt like the old one at all.
    This one is good I think, more becoming of site like boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

i likes it bu jaysus give us a heads up in future :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

My job has blocked all access to www.boards.ie/* and boards.ie/* so I have to access using a subdomain address, e.g. hello.boards.ie/*. The problem is the links to the threads on the front page now link to www.boards.ie/* as opposed to hello.boards.ie/*. Can this be changed back to the old way, i.e. whatever the person typed in the address bar?

Am I making sense?!!

I'd imagine that's easy enough it fix. It's relative links versus hardcodes ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Am I making sense?!!
    Why not use: http://82.195.136.36/

Edit: Same prob

Macros42 wrote:
    Regarding the drop down menus I noticed that a couple of weeks ago on the Computers forum. The menu was going behind the ad - it was only one ad not all of them (I think it was a Hosting365 one). It was tested in FF and IE - and a mate tried it too. Haven't noticed it since.

It's still happening with the digiweb ad for me on Firefox.

Macros42 wrote:
    I'd imagine that's easy enough it fix. It's relative links versus hardcodes ones.

It's fixed now, that was quick!! Fair play lads. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Only the boards.ie and Subbed drop down menus work.
    All the rest do not offer dropdowns
    Using:
    Browser:Mozilla 1.7

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Looks better with the tweaks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

button_forums.png

^^ This little dude on the left goes to a 404 (http://www.boards.ie/forums/)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Nosh*tsherlock

Bit different! *Shrugs suppose will get used to it...*

It's a little too regimental for me, too sharp.
    Chaos now that's the way forward.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

waaaaaaayyyy too much threads on the homepage. The last version was perfectly fine... just looks a bit too 'busy'

It would look better i think if you got rid of the blogs at the bottom and halfed the number of threads displayed...

The last homepage looked a bit more 'professional' to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I never use the hompage anyway - my boards.ie start page is www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php :p

Plus Hobbes ickle FireFox plugin makes life easier still :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you cut the 'recent post' list from 30 to about 18, then the bottom of the page should level with the bottom of the search box....

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Bring back the old - out with the new -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Exactly, ban all the newbies I say...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,900 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not a big fan of it either.... prefer the old style!

Just my 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Very nice I like it. Would be nice if you could see all the recent posts without scrolling though.

Lazy O so very Lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Just out of curiosity, if you're now using a vB3.0 stylesheet, does that mean we can apply styles to the front page like the rest of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Different but i like. Will take a while to get used to.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I thought it was fine before. Looked better, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

weemcd wrote:
    i for one do not give a fúck about blog posts.

take them off the front page!
    I agree with this why should there be so much space taken up with the ramblings of users alot of people for the most part don't give a flying toss about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The front end is now sexier than Jesus.

Which is a good thing, I think we can all agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Cloud wrote:
    Of course, it is still in flux but the new page will allow us to integrate better with our forum software, reusing buttons, etc.
    Sorry but gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the new page...

The old one was nice and original, this one just looks like a standard vBulletin portal page which I'm not a huge fan of

I like the return of the old o_O icons but other than that I liked how the last look index page made it look like it was different to all the other vBulletin based sites...

I like the increased integration though, blogs, posts etc on the main page is good

Anyways I'm sure it's not 100% finished yet so keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The only suggestion I have is to make every second post line/table a different shade of grey so as to differentiate each seperate thread as you look along the row from left to right - forum -> thread title. As opposed to the forum column being a different shade to the thread title column.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

give me time to get used to it....