Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US laptop power supply?

• 22-06-2005 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking about getting a US lappy from eBay. Whats the story with the power supply? Its a Dell one, and I see in another thread that Dells can automatically switch the voltage or whatever? Is this 100% reliable to actually work properly? And with the plug being different, is that just a matter of getting an international plug adapter, or just changing the plug head?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

I think your question has been answered already here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

When I moved home with a few computers (incl an IBM Thinkpad) I simply cut the US plugs off and replaced them with Irish ones.
    For the laptop I might have had to use a multimeter to confirm that I was connecting the write live/neutral wires.

For the PCs I did the same but could have easily purchased new cables as the computer end is generic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yes sorry about the similar threads. but I was asking about the voltage...we have 220 volts and the US is 110 volts, yeah? So would I need to get a convertor or something like that. Apparently they are bulky and heavy.

"most if not all AC adaptors are multi-voltage."

Could you explain this further please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

"most if not all AC adaptors are multi-voltage."

Could you explain this further please?

It just means the adaptor will auto sense the input voltage - it really is a case of plug and play. I simply removed the US plug from mine and fitted an Irish plug - you don't even have to do this, your local DIY store will probably sell US 2-pin to UK/Irish 3-pin adaptors for 2 or 3 euros. If you're worried about an ebay purchase, simply ask the seller does the adaptor support voltages in the range 100-240V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I got a step-up converter in powercity for about €30.....little bigger than your usual 2-way plug adaptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

As Darwin said, most laptop power supplies are 100-240vac as theyre switchmode and detect whats coming in. Id be more concerned getting hit by customs or the transport costs than the power supply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Seller said it will work on our voltage grand.
    Think I will go for it.

Advertisement