Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Info on Classic Mustang

• 22-06-2005 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello all
    just getting to know your site just joined and i hope question hasnt already been asked.
    basically i have always loved the Mustang.
    i would be looking at models from 65-70.
    Favourites are Fastbacks and GT's.
    would love to get one refurbished especially a clone of a gt500 or gt350.
    i have seen some fastback's refurbished to look like Eleanor for bout 25,000 to 30,000. like to get one in the future.

Info i am basically looking for is how hard is it to import one?

When it says it takes gasoline is that normal petrol like we use or is it actual gas?

if its petrol can we use our unleaded? since its so old i wouldnt think so but looking at my question you probably gather i wouldnt know a lot about internal working's of a car.
    Basically if anyone knows anything let us know.wont be getting one for a while saving for a house but i would like to know
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Hi Sohandy,

I bring in a lot of Mustangs and you're about right with the 25-30 guideline for a Fastback "Shelby" or "Eleanor" replica, but this would be for Mustangs that have purely the outside 'replicated'. If you want one with the correct engine, suspension and drivetrain modifications, you're looking at about 30-40k.

Gasoline is the Yank word for "Petrol", and these big V8's take ideally Premium 96 or 97 octane fuel, but they can run on your normal unleaded 95 if you make a slight adjustment in the tuning. Because these engines are big lazy and overpowered, they can handle the lower octane fuel. If he engine has never been overhauled in its life, I would recommend using the Lead additive that you can buy in any motor factors. Works out cheaper than buying the frightfully expensive LRP IF (!!!) you can still get it somewhere.

Here on the continent a lot of the big American cars have been converted to run on LPG Gas, which is very economical. However, it's not always a "happy marriage" because they either run good on gas, or good on petrol, but seldom spot on on both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sohandy

Jaysus Paul

its a small world i have been on your site a few times.
    you have a lovely fastback there seen it this morning.
    Would you recommend getting a tunning job done to the engine so it will take our unleaded.if not what do you recommend?
    when i am looking for one i will probably go to yourself Paul.
    Would you import from US?
    if i showed you a car i liked would you go and get it.
    do you do that sort of thing?
    Also when you see the word "rebuilt" when referring to engine what does this actually mean?
    is it just some parts have been changed or is it basically a new engine.
    i would rather have a new engine if possible as i would not buy something that had over 100,000 miles

Thanks again

sohandy wrote:
    Jaysus Paul

I sold an absolutely stunning 67 Black Fastback which is on its way as we speak to the Cork area, and I use an excellent source here in Holland to get my cars from. He currently has about 8-10 fastbacks including two Shelby replica's...
    sohandy wrote:
    Would you recommend getting a tunning job done to the engine so it will take our unleaded.if not what do you recommend?
    No, I wouldn't recommend doing that until the engine is genuinely up for a rebuild. The good ole saying of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is to be applied here, but it helps if you make allowances for it so that you can take the hit when the time is there. These Old V8's are pretty rugged and can clock up some serious miles before they need to be rebuilt, but why would you spend money on things that aren't strictly speaking neccessary yet :)
    sohandy wrote:
    No, I do not deal directly with the States, only from the Continent. The distance is too far, and I have NO control over the condition of the vehicle, the quality of the transport to the East Coast or West Coast, and the transport overseas to Dublin/UK. It's too big a gamble for me and for the customer. The importing of a car outside the EU is also a lot messier than straight from another EU country, but as I mentioned it's mostly the condition and the state of the cars on offer in the States, that worry me. My customers would more or less buy their cars unseen, and I therefore feel obliged that I have either personally inspected any of the vehicles that I stand over, OR they are sourced through a vendor that I trust through and through.
    sohandy wrote:
    Also when you see the word "rebuilt" when referring to engine what does this actually mean?
    i would rather have a new engine if possible as i would not buy something that had over 100,000 miles
    Well that's a big question mark. It all depends on the quality and reliability of the source that is mentioning the fact that the engine has been rebuilt. It could mean a complete top and bottom end rebuild, reground cam shaft, new pistons etc, but it could also mean just the valves and valve stems replaced, or worst case scenario, just the cam cover seal replaced !!!! Unless you are a perfectionist, I wouldn't start out replacing the engine with a new one straight away, because the "old" one could very well last you for another 100k without any problems!!! You're better off driving the car until the engine needs work, unless you want a different sort of engine, like a Big Block or a 302 Cleveland unit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

sohandy wrote:
    Jaysus Paul

when i am looking for one i will probably go to yourself Paul.

Thanks again
    100;ooo miles is nothing on a v8 engine,there rock solid big cubic inches,simple engine with no crap bolted on.less parts more reliablity ;) a rebuild should cost u no more than 1000 to 2000 standerd of course,most parts are cheaper than a ever day car.dont jump at the first car that comes along theres plenty out there :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

There are plenty of them "out there", in all sorts of condition;

see; here.

depends on whether you want an original or happy with a rebuilt/modified one, low or high mileage, refurbished or original interior (possibly with high mileage). Manual or auto.
    Year 64-1/2 are rare enough.

Parts are easy to find (modify) here. Not sure what's available at what price where you are.
    CA, Navada, NM, TX modles would be rust free, which is a bonus.

Pretty simple car overall.

How much are you willing to spend?. Take €2K of it and take a trip to CA or Reno on "Hot August Nights" or in Sept/Oct, weather is still fine and flights to LA are cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sohandy

hello all

thanks for all the replies very much appreciated.
    so these v8's do all mustangs of this age have engines this size.

PaulK regarding petrol again

so if engine is not rebulit i would use normal unleaded petrol but just use the lead additive is this right?

If i got one of the replicas you mentioned do engines with these are they new also.? if so are these v8 also the same design of old v8's.would i still be using normal petrol or are these engines new designed to run on unleaded. i assume they are if they put new engine in or i suppose as you said before maybe bodywork was just done.

any info guys all appreciated. will deffinately be lookin into gettin ones of these when finances are sorted.

Feckin houses

1000 to 2000 for a rebuilt engine,not a rebuilt car :o that wouldent pay for the hours put into the job :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

camarobill wrote:
    1000 to 2000 for a rebuilt engine,not a rebuilt car :o that wouldent pay for the hours put into the job :eek:

More like 1000-2000 to rebuild an engine, a rebuilt engine? Cheapest ive seen is about 4k

Paul K - did you get the pm i sent you? Just looking for a yes/no answer even...

sohandy wrote:
    PaulK regarding petrol again

so if engine is not rebulit i would use normal unleaded petrol but just use the lead additive is this right?...

Correct. Depending on how the engine is taking to the unleaded, you might want to retard your ignition somewhat to cope with the lower octane, but because these engines are big, unstressed, you generally find that knocking isn't a major issue.
    sohandy wrote:
    If i got one of the replicas you mentioned do engines with these are they new also.? if so are these v8 also the same design of old v8's.would i still be using normal petrol or are these engines new designed to run on unleaded. i assume they are if they put new engine in or i suppose as you said before maybe bodywork was just done.
    That's a question that I can't answer because no Restoration is the same. The replica could be just the outside, or it could have been upgraded with a rebuilt or sometimes brandnew engine. Sometimes the original engine was stripped and modified, sometimes just the carburettor and inlet manifold replaced, upgraded..... the sky is the limit but it can sometimes make choosing the right car a bit overwhelming because so many different specifications are about.
    Generally the rule of thumb is that if the engine has been overhauled and valve seats were replaced during that overhaul, if that was done within the last 15-20 years, you can be pretty sure the seats are hardened valve seats and not subject to wear because of the lack of lead. Also you will find that a lot of American cars from California would have had to comply to very strict emission controls and would have been running on unleaded for most of their lifespan!!!

gs39t wrote:
    More like 1000-2000 to rebuild an engine, a rebuilt engine? Cheapest ive seen is about 4k

Paul K - did you get the pm i sent you? Just looking for a yes/no answer even...

4 - 5k is about right for a brand new standard block without carbs and peripherals.

PM Sent, apologies for the delay :)

i bought a full rebuilt kit for a 327 v8 same as the vette u sold,for 1200 euro including shipping from the states classic industries,its going to cost me 400 for all the work done and thats with a carb rebuild kit.maybe buying a crate motor and getting it shipped would cost 5000 euro :confused: theres a bloke in donegal doing rebuilds on v8,1000 to 2000 for a full engine rebuild,www.maac-ireland.com/forum,even if u had to get a new carb and intake manifold should be no more than 600 t0 900 including shipping,high performance parts would be twice the price,more mon more fun ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

PAULK_CCI, How up to date do you keep your site on new cars/mustangs that become available. Do you advertise else where also.

Cheers

syl77 wrote:
    PAULK_CCI, How up to date do you keep your site on new cars/mustangs that become available. Do you advertise else where also.

Cheers
    Hi Syl77
    I don't advertise anywhere else and I don't keep the site up to date as much as I would like, due to time restrictions. It's been a while now and hopefully I will get to it next week. Contact me directly or via pm for more info on any of the mustangs on my books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Have a look here.

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/index.php?

some cars for sale and lots of info.

Advertisement