Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

£470 GeForce 7800 GTX Shipping today

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

dam yeah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Quick question:
    Based on past experience, what are the chances of something like an x800XL dropping in price over the next 24hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Feck all... tbqh

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Going for $600 (495 in real money) in the US...do I or don't I. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Ebonyks wrote:
    If you can get a company to ship to europe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Check out the benchmarks - is marginally ahead of 6800 Ultra...I'd buy a 6800GT and over-clock to ultra speed and upgrade later when they're not so eye-wateringly expensive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

you are right. i was expecting double the performance. is r520 not supposed to be twice as powerful as the last gen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Ebonyks wrote:

What site and as asked already do they ship to Europe as a lot dont!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

I'm going over to the US this week, but www.monarchcomputer.com do ship internationally but only with payment through wire transfer (which they charge $20-$30 for in fees).

I've decided to stick with the X800XL for the moment, which should tide me over nicely till the more graphics heavy games due out next year.

Reviews now up on The Tech Report, Anandtech and Beyond3d

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/geforce-7800gtx/index.x?pg=1
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451
    http://www.beyond3d.com/previews/nvidia/g70/

tbh, I'm not all that impressed, BUT in very recent very shader-intensive games, like Battlefield 2. There it gets close to double the framerate of the 6800 Ultra in 1600x1200 with 4xAA. :cool: ...and I'm starting to like BF2 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its never worth buying cutting edge PC products. Nothing has any need for them yet and by the time you will see benefit from them they will be half the price.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Its never worth buying cutting edge PC products. Nothing has any need for them yet and by the time you will see benefit from them they will be half the price.
    Tell that to DubDvd;)

Tell that to DubDvd;)
    Hehe, true! ;)

I think everyone should wait around for a couple of months to see how the new ATI cores work out, and Crossfire.
    (And til I get my credit card debt paid off!:))

WizZard wrote:
    Hehe, true! ;)

I think everyone should wait around for a couple of months to see how the new ATI cores work out, and Crossfire.
    (And til I get my credit card debt paid off!:))
    Your in the same boat too Wiz with a sig like that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

hmm.. have to say im more interested in how crossfire works out. Id love to see 2 x850 xt pe's running together. I noticed 1 of the reviews noted that nvidia decided not to add any new features in the 7800's not like the last time when they added PS 3.0, just shows software is really lagging behind the hardware in desktop pc's at d mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I'm tempted to throw away the card I'm getting and pick up a 7800, but I won't.
    I'll put some faith in ATI that they can kick nVidia's ass from here to somewhere moderatly far away.
    Gline, when I get a Crossfire motherboard and a X850XT Crossfire edition, I'll tell you how they run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tell that to DubDvd;)

Hehe, fair play to him, he keeps us nicely informed with his personal experiences of the latest hardware :)

You a civil servant or sumfin, dub, with all that money? Health sector, maybe? Nurse or junior doctor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone wanna buy my 6800GT PCi-E?

7800GTX here i come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

You a civil servant or sumfin, dub, with all that money? Health sector, maybe? Nurse or junior doctor?
    ur not far off lol

im going to sit this one out as ill wait and see how CROSSFIRE comes along ...plus i dont see the piont in paying that much extra for such a small jump up in clock speeds ..im getting an overclock on both my 6800GT's maxing out at 1.2ghz memory and the core at 490 mhz so im still in the same ball park as the 7800. which btw is 430 core and 1.2 mem with 24 pipelines and at the cheapest on overclockers been 600 euro ..i've a nice feeling about the CROSSFIRE set-up ..i cant see ATI bring something out to only match or get near NVIDIA'S SLI i can see it doing that bit better ...plus present NVIDIA SLI is a very fussy little begger ..ive had lots of problems with mine which are both on their way the BFG in the states today ..ith the fact that they have to matched up to the Tee ..in other words same BIOS same MAKER same MODEL and so on ..where as ATI is running on a master and slave system and it should be backard compatible with the X800XT that some of us out there may already have ...and i know some people with bitch about having to get a brand new motherboard but hell had to do that to buy into NVIDIA'S sli set-up and from what i've been reading the xpress chipset seems to be well able to hold its own against the big boys "INTEL AND NVIDIA"

so ill just hold back this time ...MAYBE ???? BUT..............;)

yep wise decision, i dont think the crossfire will dissappoint. Did they get their mobo chipset problems fixed though (Ati)?? I thought the chipsets were supposed to be crap at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I think I am still going to stay with ATI no matter what NVidia thows out on the market.
    the 7800GTX is a dissapointment imho, looking at the benchmarks anyway.
    I do have to say fairplay, that they aren't crammingubidoobi technological feats into the cards again, when the game programmers are only just learning howto deal with SMartshader 2.1 at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm ordering my machine this morning, NF4 SLI board, X800XL. I'm counting on nVidia enabling SLI driver support on the ATI Crossfire boards (NF4 and Crossfire boards have the same physical/electrical PCIe setup) and ATI matching them by letting Crossfire cards run on NF4 SLI boards.
    There's absolutely no reason that either company's multi-GPU setup couldn't run on the other's motherboards, it's just driver limited.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

All you guys talk like sensible people wanting to hold back until the prices comes down and rival hardware it out to compare it with. But wait till the first guy posts here saying he has a SLI/7800GTX FX57/Athlonx2 4800 and starts posting benchmarks and you will be all off again on a merry little upgrade in desperation to compete! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Azza wrote:
    All you guys talk like sensible people wanting to hold back until the prices comes down and rival hardware it out to compare it with. But wait till the first guy posts here saying he has a SLI/7800GTX FX57/Athlonx2 4800 and starts posting benchmarks and you will be all off again on a merry little upgrade in desperation to compete! :rolleyes:
    Who? Where? Oh NO!
    Quick, I need money to UPGRADE!!!

im actually looking into the X2 cpu at d mo for my mach 2, that could be cool, all depends on the funds available, which is 0 at d mo. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Some people have far, far more money than sense ;)

gline wrote:
    im actually looking into the X2 cpu at d mo for my mach 2, that could be cool, all depends on the funds available, which is 0 at d mo. lol
    Don't they have the infamous "cold bug"?

WizZard wrote:
    Don't they have the infamous "cold bug"?
    Wont overclock no matter what?
    Doesnt like cool temps?
    Doesnt like wc?
    que?

Won't boot/work when they go below freezing/-25°C

• Advertisement

Wont overclock no matter what?
    Doesnt like cool temps?
    Doesnt like wc?
    que?