Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms in the East-Discuss

• 22-06-2005 3:13pm

We're not in the sparky fireing line that our neighbours across the water are in the next 48 hours, but we could have our own home grown storms in the East.

What are the chances-discuss (I'll give my thoughts later)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I see little chance of any storms in Ireland over the coming days..
    Perhaps some showers tomorrow, then things will turn cooler from
    the west with rain.

There is potential for vicious storms in Southern England on Friday though
    but the threat here will be close to nil.

Sorry i dont see much if any chances of storms here in Eastern Ireland
    over the cominfg days although i would love to eat my words ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have to aggree, dont rate the chances particularily highly. Possibly some locations inland on the foothills of the Wicklow mountains might see something with oreographic (sp?) lifting aiding upward development if the wind is in the right direction, otherwise reckon its unlikely...would be delighted to be proven wrong though!!

Cape and LI values are pretty poor here compaired to SE England for example.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/cape_frame.htm
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/lftx_frame.htm

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I wouldnt be that quick to rule it out,but I'd put the possibility at medium to low risk.
    It will depend on how warm we get ahead of the cold front.Temps up around 24 or 25 or higher would help-not altogether impossible.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Evelyn's been on now and seems to think we will have thunderstorms Thursday and Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I feel that there are two areas at risk tomorrow:

AREA 1: North Tipp, Laois, Kildare, Dublin and SE Meath.

AREA 2: East Cork, South Tipp, South-Central Kilkenny, Carlow, East Laois, West Kildare and South Meath.

It all kicks off round 4pm. :D

• Advertisement

Lot of activity over France now

Anyone with a long wave radio tuned to a blank frequency should be able to hear distant sferics from there(sounds like scratches-which will be a lot louder once British storms get cracking tonight or tomorrow)

Not warm enough here really:21 c where I am and 18c further inland though I see mothman got up to 23 c
    Still its a far cry from the kettle of 28-30+ c temps in England and Wales

Still not ruling out some partially imported activity from that weather front along the East coast tomorrow-but hopefully not whilst I'm in Croke park :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is nothing to do with the temperatures the atmosphere just doesnt
    have enough energy to spark off anything more than a light shower.
    Thunderstorms were b=never possible today and i doubt tomorrow although
    as the cold front ventures into Britian it will pep up with some
    heavy outbreaks in the east with perhaps (10%) some thunder and lightning :cool:

It is nothing to do with the temperatures the atmosphere just doesnt
    have enough energy to spark off anything more than a light shower.
    Where do you think energy comes from??
    Thunderstorms were b=never possible today and i doubt tomorrow
    They are possible-just not highly probable..but then you've always had difficulty with the distinction between possibility and probablity ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anything that lowers the pollen count gets the thumbs up from me!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Evelyn's been on now and seems to think we will have thunderstorms Thursday and Friday

The thing is, though, Evelyn Cusack is obsessed with thunderstorms. Seriously, I've noticed this going back years. She nearly always seems to end up mentioning thunderstorms or "thunderstorm activity" (her favourite phrase!) at some stage during one of her forecasts, especially during the summer months! She probably gets all "damp" at the thought of them, to be honest! ;):D

For years now anytime I've seen her come on the telly, especially during the summer, I've always said to people who were watching with me, "Wait, hang on now, here it comes! "Thunderstorm activity"! I'll bet you anything!" 90% of the time, I've been right and she has said it. And 90% of the time we've never gotten anything along the lines of a thunderstorm whatsoever. She predicts them........ but most the time it never happens.

Seriously, keep an eye out for it. She seems to mention thunderstorms more than any other forecaster on the telly. I'm telling you, she's got some kind of sexual fetish for them or something! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

What about John Eagleton? He's always on about them too. "Instability in the air" seems to be one of his favourite phrases.

Very heavy rain here now and rumbling thunder! south wicklow

hmmmmm

Look south :D possibility for a thundershow on wenesday -discuss :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement