Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Stakeholder Group report

Options
  • 22-06-2005 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭

This is actually a report for the Department of Trade and Industry in the UK, but it covers broadband in the G7, Australia, Ireland, South Korea and Sweden.
    http://www.broadbanduk.org/reports/dti/gov_reports_13_06_05.htm
    That page links to the report, which is a PDF.
    Various bar graphs and stuff, naturally showing Ireland lagging behind in many areas. Although I was surprised that we appear to be top of the table for VoIP, in the business area at least.

I'll leave further analysis to those more qualified than I.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Interesting document.
    The Irish broadband market has had a slow start, with little investment from eircom until recently and a low percentage of the cable networks being upgraded to offer cable modem services. FWA provides a significant amount of coverage.

According to ComReg, eircom has enabled exchanges covering approximately 80% of the Irish population and aims to cover 90% by March 2006. The company offers 1 and 2Mbit/s ADSL services and has previously said that 76% of enabled lines are capable of supporting 256–512kbit/s services;
    But the report sees through Comreg's regurgitation of eircom's misinformation and calls it as it should be:
    applying this percentage, we see that eircom can currently supply ADSL to 61% of the Irish population.
    Why is it so difficult for Comreg to do simple mathematics and state the true population coverage figure->

80 * 0.76 = 60.8% (lets be generous and call it 61%)

Viking

Advertisement