Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some newbie questions

Options
  • 22-06-2005 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I got this game at the weekend and have barely stopped playing it(or, when I'm in work, porsting on message boards about it ;) )

Anyway, I started with a rogue character and did 10 levels but decided I wanted a pet and restarted as a hunter which so far has been lots of fun. Just a few general questions though.

Professions. I'm a tailor and enchanter(skinner/leatherworker was what I was as a rogue and wanted to try something different). Tailoring is great. I learnt how to make bags and making a good profit on it, and generally going well. Enchanting on the other hand... I spent a fortune on the stuff necessary for my rune rod thingy. And eventually got an item that i could disenchant into strange dust to enchant my bracer. Since then I've gotten 2 more strange dusts that I'm holding onto. Short of buying a load of bracers and wasting any dust I get enchanting them how am I suppose to level up into useful enchants? +5 health on a bracer is not worth all the expenses right now... Is this something for higher level players? I'm level 13, tempted to quit the enchanting and do something like skinning that will at least get me money, and maybe re-learn enchanting later. Or are any of the other professions worthwhile? Something that compliments tailoring?

Ok next question. Can you run away from battle? It seems that once I attract the attention of more than one enemy, or an enemy a few levels higher than me, I may as well give up and accept death, there just doesn't seem to be any getting away unless your really lucky. It's made some missions, where I'm up against Murlocs or Gnolls which call their mates into battle, impossible without being in a group.

Finally, where's the level 13-15 quests? I'm a dwarf, went from Dun Morogh to Elwynn after completing quests there, got to about level 10 or 11 in Elwynn, got up to level 13 in westfall(with great difficulty) but the next missions in westfall all seem to be for about a level 15 player and I just keep getting killed(quests to get defias thugs and gnolls). I eventually went back to Dun Morough and all the way to Loch Modan, where there's lots of new quests but they all seem to be about level 10 so I mightn't get too much exp there. Is there anywhere else I should look?

I think their my main questions for now. Theres a lot to take in in this game!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

steviec wrote:
    I'm level 13, tempted to quit the enchanting and do something like skinning that will at least get me money, and maybe re-learn enchanting later.
    I'd be inclined to ditch enchanting and get skinning. You can take enchanting up again at higher level if you want. It's a money sink tbh. Plus with skinning you'll have less trouble affording your mount at 40.
    Ok next question. Can you run away from battle? It seems that once I attract the attention of more than one enemy, or an enemy a few levels higher than me, I may as well give up and accept death
    Yes, except for in instance dungeons where they'll never give up (unless you have feign death, vanish or such). Use any slowing powers you have, like wing-clip or concussive shot, then sick your pet on another mob (one you haven't damaged much so it'll go for him), then run and pray.

Hopefully one mob should be slowed and you can out run it, and the rest will be on your pet as you sic it (with growl preferably) on them in turn then tell it to stay (ctrl-2). It'll take one for the team.

Also if you're trying to run away, don't attack the monsters anymore. If you damage them as you run away, or use more concussive shots that will reset the distance they will chase you for. So you can keep them following you for ages if you keep annoying them.
    I eventually went back to Dun Morough and all the way to Loch Modan, where there's lots of new quests but they all seem to be about level 10 so I mightn't get too much exp there. Is there anywhere else I should look?
    Nope, Loch Modan is what you want. Do the lvl 10 quests, if you're level 13 they'll be decent exp and they'll probably lead to other higher lvl quests. Which you won't be offered until you've done the lower lvl pre-requisite quests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Thanks for the help. I've ditched enchanting for skinning, that's going much better. Also found Loch Modan to be a good place for levelling up, still a good few quests there and I'm up to lvl 14 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

loch modan, Westfall and redridge are the places to go from 10-20.

Post 20 you'll be looking at more redridge, wetlands and duskwood, that should bring u up close to 30.

Then 30-35 you're thinking 1k needles and stranglethorn vale
    35-40 it's arathi, hillsbrad, stranglethorn vale and badlands

40-50 - it's Tanaris, feralas, the hinterlands and the blasted lands.

btw - bookmark this site - http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/

shows u level zones flight paths etc. It's a gem for new players!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

also depending which server you picked, you might have a guild with boards.ie players in it. I know there's one on Bladefist (both alliance and horde) at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Addlcove

The Loch is especially good for hunters as there is a string of quests out of a hunters lodge near the excavation site that will end you up with a new gun and a better ammo pouch (as far as I remember).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tbh I wouldn't do tailoring if your a hunter. The only useful things you'd be able to make for yourself are bags. All the cloth armor will be pretty redundant.

I'd go with Alcemey and Herbalism (good for them potions), Skinning and Leatherworking (good for the armor until you reach 40, but then afaik you can make some mail armor), or Mining and Engineering (good for them guns).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Addlcove

as hunter Skinning/mining is good, loads of money to buy the stuff you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

mining requires a pick...skinning requires a knife...what does engineering require?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Blacksmiths hammer, arclight spanner, gyro micro adjuster thingy (last two you make yourself).

You'll only ever be using them near an anvil so you might as well chuck em in the bank and leave them there til you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

It uses the blacksmiths hammer and an arclight spanner, that you create with engineering. It costs like 8 bars of copper, or something to that effect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement