Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling own home privately

Options
  • 22-06-2005 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hello,

I am considering selling my own home privately as to eliminate the high costs of auctioneers.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who have already gone down this path.

Any experiences both positive and negative would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

I haven't done it myself, but I would definitely do it that way if I wanted to sell! Just make sure that you have a competent solicitor who will happily answer questions in the process.

--Hornet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Does myhome.ie allow you to post up an ad yourself? I reckon an ad with them really covers a huge market especially in the first time buyers.
    Spend a bit of money on the for sale sign and make it look like it is a estate agent sign. A suit really is a good idea too when showing the property. Personally I avoided own sales due to the general apperance of the sign and property.

In theory you could get some estate agents around to recommend changes and areas of concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 count

check out www.fsbo.ie it's a new site where you can sell your house online. Lots of advice and tips that cut out the middle man

count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

count wrote:
    check out www.fsbo.ie it's a new site where you can sell your house online. Lots of advice and tips that cut out the middle man

count

Search results
    No results found.

that speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Myhome.ie only allows estate agents to post ads. daft.ie is however another option.

It depends on your circumstances but there is a huge saving to be made by selling yourself. I just did so but was lucky in that the house is on a busy road so my homemade sign attracted enough attention.

Bear in mind you do need to be a bit emotionally detached from the whole thing especially if this is your 'home' that you're selling. Not fun having people mooch around your place nit-picking at stuff. If you have no salemanship in your blood at all then get someone else in who has, otherwise you'll end up either being bullied into accepting too low a price or (more likey from what I've seen) stubbornly refuse to accept what the market is currently supporting because 'Joe down the road got €350k 6 months ago so mine is now worth at least €375k' :rolleyes:

Mind you I got a buyer very quickly (an investor whos going to do it up and rent it out) and saved myself around 5 grand in the process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement